Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Barracuda Carnage - long video - make popcorn!

Barracuda Carnage - long video - make popcorn!
August 08, 2010 03:07AM

This one has several stunts. They involve accurate placement of massive energy from an airgun slug. The cocking lever worked great at the bench. It was a nice 90 minutes at the range.

Gary
Re: Barracuda Carnage - long video - make popcorn!
August 08, 2010 03:17AM
Question: Why's a generator running?
Answer: To run a squirrel cage fan in the War Wagon. It's quite hot in the open field in an aluminum box trailer. Works pretty well.

Question: Why's the chrono read 898 fps instead of 920 fps?
Answer: Different tanks ... different gauges ... different operating pressure ... perhaps different batch of slugs. I wasn't at the range for long today. Didn't do exhaustive testing. We'll get to all that.

Question: Does the gun have to shoot at this power level?
Answer: No - it's highly adjustable for power. In fact - it's actually punishing to shoot at this level. I have to alter the recoil pad area now that I know the gun is very accurate. I have a baseline so that I'll know if I screw anything up trying to make the "felt recoil" less.

Question: Did I not really think the slug would have the power to go thru 10 soda cans?
Answer: Of course. The thing is though, that the resistance of expanding liquids, usually tosses the slug off it's straight path. So; shots like this usually go thru several cans and then skew off the straight line enough to miss the last cans. This stunt worked perfectly.

Question: Who's buying my soda for me?
Answer: Those were cans bought for a patio party two years ago that got lost in the basement. They were unfit to drink.

take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2010 03:27AM by barnespneumatic.
Anonymous User
August 08, 2010 05:19AM
Gary I believe you may just get your buck with that gun. Now about those soda cans, you needed Jim along to police the area after that level of destruction. Good stuff and the video looked great. I'm itching to shoot that one myself.
August 08, 2010 01:49PM
Hi Joe,

Sure thing - just slide on in behind that and take a shot!

Glad you like it. It's a beast for sure.

I've finally squeezed out a few secrets from the movie making program, and can do some very basic stuff. It's not a "Tofazfou Production" now ... but I do my best, and I don't have his movie budget! Green bowing

Gary
August 08, 2010 11:44AM
Oh the humanity! hot smiley

That's quite a stunt indeed. Yes Joe, I've surprised I wasn't tapped to "police" the area as well (we need a smiley with a sharp stick picking up trash). Pipe smoker But that sent can fragments everywhere. I'll bet the bees had a "field day" after you left! google eyes

-- Jim
August 08, 2010 01:45PM
Side note:

When I was quite young, we had a carnaval grounds nearby. I forget the connection completely, buy I WAS tapped to police the area with a sharp stick. And, since I got to make a long stick with a nail in it ... and spike all sorts of paper cups and trash, I thought it was fun. Ah - the innocence of youth!

tongue sticking out smiley

Gary
August 08, 2010 01:53PM
Great video Gary. Excellent execution on the soda shredding stunt, adds a new dimension to "plinking!" It's not easy to pull off a shot like that in one take.
August 08, 2010 02:47PM
Pictures from the video that don't go by so fast ... Green bowing

Gary
Cuda 58 003.JPG
Cuda 58 010.JPG
Red_strike.jpg
Cuda 58 012.JPG
Cuda.jpg
August 08, 2010 02:48PM
That was awesome !!!hot smileyhot smiley

as far as recoil goes...I'll bet the Barracuda would be a BEAST to try and shoot offhand surprised

My "puny" bullpup should be a bit more manageable, if not as devastating!!!
August 08, 2010 03:02PM
Thanks Joebill,

Well, the balsa wood stock on your puny gun should help. haha.

This is a rush to shoot. Although, you nearly have to watch the video to see what happened. The recoil and black out period following detonation sort of removes the moment of impact from your conscious mind. Once you get up off the floor, rearrange your toupee, and notice the target has vanished ... you can check the video to see what happened! grinning smiley

Gary
August 08, 2010 11:16PM
You're getting pretty good at that video thing, I'd have to say. And I am impressed that the slug plowed straght through all ten cans without zipping off on another vector, I'm not sure how many high powered rifle bullets would do the same. Perhaps it's a factor of the huge mass of the slug itself compared to most rifle rounds. "Conventional wisdom" on the subject says that slower, heavier bullets are less prone to deflection than lightweight bullets at high velocity are, perhaps there's something to that. Or maybe it's just chance.

One sure thing, it's a suitable fate for any leftover "diet" drinks you've got laying around. That artificially sweetened stuff is poison, as you've noted in some detail before. Give me plain, old fashioned, home-brewed tea, any day. And on the occasions where I do fall "off the wagon" I go for the stuff with regular sugar, if I can find it.

It's too bad you can't get the old-style Dr. Pepper in bottles anymore, made with sucrose instead of HFCS. I remember that being my favorite of all the sodas, back when.thread hijacked
August 08, 2010 11:32PM
Hi Sean,

Yeah - that was the Lee slug ... 458 grains IIRC.

Yeah - brewed tea is the way to go. Isn't it McDonalds and Wendy's that's gotten in on the craze too? We make some good brew. Might as well injest the calories as have my head in a vice from the toxic waste of artifical sweetner.

Anyway ... I've always been impressed by the heavy mass slugs and their "chugging along" power. You know ... even that little fly weight 331 grain 58 slug didn't slap down the panels like Jerry's Yukon and it's 564 grain slug. And ... the big ole 650 58 slug will probably turn it inside out. I have to make another sizing die for that big 58 slug. This barrel wants it a big smaller than the other series of 58 barrels. We'll see.

Haven't forgotten your Woodsman SS either. Need more energy in the week. I just went and sat on the shop stool for awhile. Sunday evening 7:15 pm. I realized I was just not up to the task of doing anything of value in there. Pushing it just ruins good work already completed.

Gary
August 09, 2010 10:06AM
It's kind of humerous to be referring to a 300+ grain slug as a "flyweight", especially when it comes to airguns. shooter with bench rifle

And as far as just plugging along when the brains already checked out for the day...totally not worth it.
What's the adage? Measure once, cut twice...or was it measure once, cuss twice?

I've waited this long, another little bit isn't gonna kill me.
August 10, 2010 02:07AM
That is spectacular! The way the sodas blew up in slow motion, I like it. It's a unique and cool looking gun! Great work Gary, as always.
August 10, 2010 03:23AM
Thank you Peter. It's been an enjoyable project. thumbs up Good to hear from you.

Gary
August 11, 2010 12:56AM
GB,

All i can say is..........WOW!! Such a simple word but, believe me, i mean it in a very complex way. That gun is really amazing and its really a powerhouse. You have the combo that i personnally love.....SPEED AND POWER. To take a 300 gr slug and push it OVER 900 FPS is my dose of medicine.

Your video skills are getting better and better. I like your ideas.

Very nice craftsmanship and thanx for posting
August 11, 2010 01:16AM
Thanks Cedric,

It's now a Tofazfou production, but I try. Green bowing

Glad you like it. Drive over and try it out.

I'm going to have to get around to doing something to the recoil end before I shoot it again. I was using a leather bag between it and my shoulder. It's planned to have some technology in there. I wanted to make certain I had a baseline first.

Thanks for the couple tips you gave me on the movie making program. They helped.

Gary
August 12, 2010 03:14AM
Just for the record, I checked the cans today. They are in a bucket in the back of the truck. Each one had a clear indication of a hole. They are all roughly burst open ... but I could either find a hole itself, a clear entry indent on a shreaded can shard still attached, or a clear exit bulge on each of the different can's fragmented petals. So; the slug, did indeed ... pass thru all of the cans.

Neat. nowthatIthink

Gary
August 13, 2010 12:07AM
Neat indeed! I'm surprised at the number of views vs. the number of comments. Apparently, lots of visitors dropping by but few of the members chiming in...
August 13, 2010 04:36AM
Gary left everyone speechless with this one.

I was surprised at the number of views.whistling
August 14, 2010 07:43PM
I just realised that I am one of the "speechless" ones! Don't know what happened there. But anyway, very impressive getting those cans lined up to begin with, let alone getting the slug through the lot! That is a very desirable puppy for sure, with more raging bull in its personality than docile pup doggie

Cheers

Neil
August 14, 2010 08:51PM
Hello Neil,

I figured some Emu had you cornered in a thicket or something like that ... whistling

Good to hear from you. Hey ... after something like 670 views ... it's good to have at least the same regular five guys comment from our membership. It keeps me going ... ya know? "festive"

Thanks for your comment. More coffee

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021