Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rest of the Squirrel Vs Hollow Point pics

Rest of the Squirrel Vs Hollow Point pics
February 28, 2011 06:15PM
Note the entry. Opposite side was clean.

After much cutting, mopping, probing .... I noticed the exit wound from the opposite rib cage. I thought I must have missed the exit thru the hide then. But ... no ... it was clean. So - I knew the slug was in there, under the skin.

Rolled it over, and cut some more. Brought up a sliver of pellet. Yeah! And then, I found it. WOW ... that REALLY flattened out!

Gary
Squirrel_HollowPoint 005.JPG
Squirrel_HollowPoint 012.JPG
Squirrel_HollowPoint 011.JPG
Squirrel_HollowPoint 015.JPG
Squirrel_HollowPoint 019.JPG
Re: Rest of the Squirrel Vs Hollow Point pics
February 28, 2011 09:34PM
You're not going to fix that with super glue!
March 01, 2011 01:26AM
'course not .... I'd need string too! More coffee
March 02, 2011 05:19AM
DAAAAAAAANGGG!!

Now that's what i call a "MUSHROOM".

How fast and heavy was that slug GB?

Cant believe that stayed in the squirrel...thats awesome.
March 02, 2011 05:09PM
Hi Faz ...

I'll have to look. I wanna say it was 850-900 anyway. And ... 48 grains IIRC. Quite a thump.

Gary
March 02, 2011 10:24PM
After watching all these pictures, the first thing that comes to my mind is... CSI-Maryland
March 03, 2011 02:45AM
Yeah .... it was messy. If the squirrel hadn't have talked me thru it .... I'd have never made it! whistling

GAry
March 04, 2011 02:09AM
WOOOHOOOOOO! I'M surprised that after that THWOCK, the expanded pellet did not THROW THE SQUIRREL outta the tree......lol.

When i think about how fast that slug was going and how fast it stopped.....even though i know better, it just seems like the squirrel should have been carried away by the projectiles momentum......lol.... I could just see a 1 lb squirrel flying through the air at about 400 FPS....lol
March 04, 2011 02:59AM
Hi Faz ...

Hey ... I misremembered. cooler It was the Victory ... not that hotter action. So ... that pellet is about 750 forwards .... and about 721 backwards. (something about how the skirt/vs/nose engage the rifling). Still a pretty good punch. The higher numbers were from other actions/barrels tested.

Man ... the other day .... I came out. Was going in to town for stuff. A squirrel was just sitting there - taunting me. And, we've had issues with things going "BUMP!!!" and "CLONK"" in the walls. I walked to the shop ... whistling ... nothing to see here ... Green bowing .... and got the Victory 32 .... fudd ... quickly slammed a .308" pellet in it .... said quickly slammed a 308 pellet in it .... knucklehead .... which I just recalled this very evening finally! why me

Well, I sneaked up on the varmint ... fish .... lined up ... and let him have it! Crack! And then what seemed like a handful of junk being thrown on the metal carport roof. The critter took off like a rocket hot smiley ... I'd blasted the crusty bark off the limb of the ancient tree. That small 308 pellet shot low compared to the 315 that would have drilled his pesty little brain. I could only see the critter's head between the weeping cherry branches.

Gosh ... my manhood was seriously diminished all week ... until I nearly made the same mistake this evening .... to get a velocity number for you and Joe. Phewww. I was pretty rocked by the idea that "I" might have missed! eye popping smiley Without a legit excuse.

hahaha. grinning smiley

Gary
March 05, 2011 01:39AM
Gary,

It happens. I remember when I took my brothers and some of their friends to the range. I had my .41 Mag and .44 Mag (both N frame S&W) for them to shoot. We had two lanes, one for each gun and would you know it, someone borrowed some ammo from the other lane to fill out the last chamber in the cylinder. I knew something was wrong as soon as it went off. It was a pain getting that .41 case out of the .44. I think I still have that case somewhere as a reminder.

BTW - good shot. I'm surprised you can get away with it in your neighborhood. I can't shoot a .177 in my backyard without the pellet hitting the neighbors house after passing through the critter.

Keith
March 05, 2011 04:36AM
Gary, that is an amazing result. The amount of energy transfer into that poor skwerl's body would have been devastating to say the least. Ouch!!injured
Cheers
Neil
March 06, 2011 08:03AM
So...that's how you fire-form custom cases, is it?winking smiley

I'm kinda surprised that it didn't just rupture and blow gas everywhere, could have been much worse. I'm also surprised that a .41 round in a .44 cylinder lines up the primer well enough to set it off.
March 06, 2011 04:42PM
700+ish FPS is definitely still barking along. Not slow by any means. And that is EVEN better performance from that slug cause it was travelling in the low 700's and not in the upper 800-900 FPS. Pretty darn good.

OHHH, and i'm sorry GB.....DID YOU SAY THAT YOU "MISSED"? ABC and NBC and the L.A. Times are paying money for good stories....i think i just found em one.excited
March 06, 2011 11:51PM
Oh fine ... Yuck it up!!! More sad

blah blah

wink
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021