Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CROSMODS Disco .22 (CD22) first day out

CROSMODS Disco .22 (CD22) first day out
June 08, 2011 05:38AM
Had a very fun 1st day out with my newly finished CROSMODS Discovery .22. On this hunt the gun was tuned for 31 FPE shooting 18.1 gr JSB Heavies at 880 FPS. With the wind being too bad in the morning to properly sight in, i start the day shooting various targets to get the gun dialed in.

Please follow the COMPLETE story on my blog:
[www.tofazfou.blogspot.com]

The Video:
[www.youtube.com]
Re: CROSMODS Disco .22 (CD22) first day out
June 08, 2011 09:01PM
Awesome blog and video Ced! You are really turning into quite the producer...

Gary,

I think we have to reconsider the standing offer to Ced to go shooting with us. Can you just imagine what it's going to be like shooting with Cecil B. Demil araound? I can see it now, we have to get the film crew out early to capture arrival and then we have to have every moment of set-up capturted for the fast motion sequence. After that, well get yelled at to get in or or out of the frame and what happens if we miss a shot? I don't think I could handle the pressure!
June 10, 2011 06:22PM
Hi Jerry,

Yeah ... I can't compete with that. The guy's gone Hollywood. And ... did you SEE the area he's hunting? Between him and Neal's playground in NZ, I'm thoroughly sick. hahaha. Amazing scenery.

Love the gun Cedric. There's sooooo much stuff posted there, on your blog and about the trip, I'm gonna have to take several days off and read thru it. Well done ... really nicely presented.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy.

Gary
June 09, 2011 04:33AM
Great hunt Tofaz,

You did another great job sharing all the fun with the rest of us. You must be overrun with ground squirrels out there. I wish I could conjure up half the target rich environments you get into. Of course, I know that its a lot more than luck that gets you where the action is consistently. Great job!

Kent
June 10, 2011 07:40PM
Nice gun and nice shooting Tofaz, especially in the wind!
Keep those videos coming..
Cheers
Neil
June 11, 2011 11:59PM
Thanx a ton guys.

California as a whole is actually a good AIRGUN tolerant state despite some of its STUPID laws. But the other problem is that there is just so much land that is private. There is BLM land of course but it is well used by other too.

Jerry and GB...ok ok ok...maybe my videos are to HOLLYWOOD...lol. I will turn it DOWN a little.

Also, GB, i was gonna post some pics up also but, i have to resize them AGAIN to fit this website. Seems like the biggest i can go to get the pics to fit is 800x600. I always size mine from the normal size down to 1024x768 for storage. So sorry that i didn't provide any eye candy on this forum this time.
June 12, 2011 01:41PM
Well Cedric ...we struggle to just keep the screen lit here. Even sadder And then you have to go and make fun of our little picture files ...we're sort of sensitive about that .... ya know. stunned

Over on your iMAX site ... I know you do everything in 3-D, with virtual hunts. In fact ... I've been saving up for one of those. fudd Got a new hat and everything. heheheh.

HAH!!! Private land!!! ha!!! Around here, EVERY SQUARE INCH is private, government, taxed, and keep yer buttstock OFF!! They seem to frown on shooting 62 caliber BB guns at the Tot Lot here in town. rolling happy smiley

Gary

I'm gonna go look at some more of your videos right now. Gosh ... have to go put my tie and tails on first ... grinning smiley
June 12, 2011 02:25PM
Hi Cedric,

I finally got to watch the video of the gun assembly. Neat. Excellent video and edit work there. Love it.

Questions:

In the field, since I'd seen the mod tube, I was surprised at the gun noise. Is that a dresser tube, or is it for sound moderation. Since, during assembly, I think I saw the barrel extending to the end of the tube, I think it's to dazzle the squirrels while you draw a bead? ;?)

In the parts from Cross Mods ... the tube doesn't seem to have the fancy graphics. Is this a different tube. I like the graphic look.

last ... where did you get those "clean room" shoes you were wearing in the assembly phase? laughing

Great job. I think you should move to Maryland. smileys with beer

Gary
June 12, 2011 05:14PM
GB,

Here is the deal with the shroud.
A little fact first: The Discovery .22 is a low fill pressure (2000 psi max), medium powered (21-24 or so FPE) small bore airgun using medium to lightweight pellets (13.5-18 gr pellets).

Now, being as the gun is not really powerful, to use the shroud for its intended purpose, i would have to cut 4" off the stock barrel or buy a 20" name brand barrel. Then i would add the baffles provided by CROSMODS. As you know, the problem with cutting 4" off any barrel is, it looses around 60 FPS depending..... So, in saying that alone, i decided to just start off with the barrel staying STOCK which is 24" long and see how the gun performs. So you are right, the shroud is just for show FOR NOW but, i can cut the barrel and add baffles to make the gun pretty dog on quiet. Which I still might. Right now, the gun is still in the testing phase and i really need to group this thing to see how accurate it is. So far, a lot of folks have told me to just cut off the barrel and use the shroud for it intended purpose. But you see, for me, there is more to it than just a whisper quiet gun. I really don't need whisper quiet anyway as i hunt OUTDOORS in the desert and the little pop that comes from the muzzle is not that bad at all in the wide open. Especially compared to my BIG BORES...lol

2 things that i can still do (options): 1st, i can cut the barrel to 20" and use the baffles provided by CROSMODS or, 2nd, i can get a longer shroud tube than the one currently on the gun and still add the baffles and keep the barrel at 24". Just the shroud would be about 4-5 inches longer than the one currently on the gun. So there are still good options.

CLEAN ROOM SHOES: So you wanna know were i got the clean room shoes HUH? GB, I'm just not gonna entertain you on this one.........................laughing
June 12, 2011 11:54PM
Hi Ced,

Keep the barrel at 24 inches. You will regret cutting it. You need the length for the power ... especially with the 2k fill pressure. Eventually, get a longer mod tube ... or keep it at is. Looks great. What's the deal on the graphics? Kit didn't seem to show them ... finished gun does. No mention that I saw.

Also; if you'd cut the barrel, you would have to lathe spin it to crown it well. And, that's a bit of a trick to do it correctly. I have no issue with it as is ... I just noticed the report on the video.

Didn't catch it on the video either ... does that new trigger block come with internals .... or are they swapped out? I know you mentioned an orig. plastic trigger ... so I wondered.

What's your total cost on the finished package? Twice a Barnes rifle? Three times? stunned heheheh. Just kidding. Looks like a neat package - and it clearly shoots great. Actually, in 96/97 ... I was making my Ranger Series FT guns to shoot off of 2,000 psi. They'd get 30 level shots. I spent ALL my discussion time answering the question of "what was WRONG with them that they would ONLY take 2,000 psi?" hahah. Those that bought them claimed they were silly accurate. Hey ... maybe someone was paying attention. Another idea!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 11:55PM by barnespneumatic.
June 15, 2011 05:48AM
The PLAIN black tube in the pic was a BOO BOO. I ordered the wrong tube. So the one in the finished pic is the right shroud tube. Its a black CAMO pattern that they anodize onto the tubes themselves. Their anodizing is really neat and they can do pretty much any kind of anodizing that one would want. Colors and patterns. I simply fell in love with it cause its different.

And yeah, that 2000 psi fill is soooooooooooo nice. I mean even my 3000 psi aluminum tank fills that gun up FOREVER!
June 16, 2011 05:35AM
I don't know how anyone could be happy with less than a 4500psi fill! laughing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021