Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 gun jack rabbit hunting (pics)

3 gun jack rabbit hunting (pics)
August 16, 2011 10:38PM
Sunrise @ 6:10 am
[i39.photobucket.com]

While it's been hot not only across the country but, in Cali as well, i've been holding off on my usual once a week hunts/shoots. I had been in constant talks with my NEW buddy RJ and he asked me if i wouldn't mind looking at his 2240 (RJ did all the work). I agreed as this would keep me busy until i could get out and hunt again. Well after some playing around with his gun and numerous phone conversations, i gave him the numbers he wanted and he gave me permission to keep the gun for a while but asked me to take the gun out with me the next time i go hunting to field test it. I easily agreed as i had a couple guns i wanted to play around with when that day happened. I had actually planned on leaving my big bores at home this time and taking only a couple of my small bores. The guns would be my CrosMods 22, my Rapid 25 and RJ's 24" 2240.

Sight-In

2240: After arriving at my locale i pulled out RJ's gun, topped it off to 3000 psi, set up the target stand and started to sight her in at about 35 yards. I would soon find out that the red dot scope had just enough battery life in it to get me 2 handfuls of sight in shots and very little hunting shots if any so i had to use the scope sparingly if that makes any sense. I managed to get about 12 shots on paper and dead center before i noticed the red dot light fading. I turned the scope off and put the 2240 aside as i had seen enough to be satisfied with the groups and POI.

CrosMods: Up next was the CD22 or CrosMods Discovery 22. After setting the target stand at 50 yards, it was time to check zero. Shots 1-3 were just a tad right and high. A couple clicks down and a few over left brought the POI dead center and a tad high. That was good enough for me adjustment wise. The next 5 shots went into a 1" group and that's okay cause believe it or not, this gun is still in the testing phase and i don't expect "GREATNESS" from the stock 22 Disco barrel (please, no negative comments about that statement). I would then shoot another 20 shots + or - at various reactive targets and objects located on the desert floor. The CD was shooting well. This gun is turning out to be quite the performer.

Rapid 25: Well, what can i say about the Rapid. A LOT actually..lol. Next was time to sight in the R25 and the pellets of choice for the day would be the JSB Kings. After replacing a few targets with fresh ones and topping the tank off to 3200 psi and loading my 3 mags full of JSB Kings, i began to sight in. The guns zero was off a bit as the last time i shot it, it was in windy conditions. As usual though, once sighted in, the gun simply drove tacks. As it was getting really warm and i was happy with my groups and POI on target, it was time to hunt some Jacks.

The HUNT:
2240 @ 900 FPS w/16 gr JSB Predators
The 1st rabbit of the day came shortly after i started my walk of the desert terrain. I spotting this rabbit at 52 ranged yards and snuck to with in 37 yards of him. I used the shrubbery to my advantage by stalking the rabbit while behind Creosote bushes. I could tell he was a tad spooked as when i walked over in a clearing to spot him, he was standing straight up with his ears perked and scanning for noise. I quickly turned on the red dot scope as i knew i did not have enough battery life left and i had to make my first shot count. I aimed the red dot center mass into the rabbits chest and sent the 16 gr Predator pellet on its way. Direct hit and one rabbit in the bag. The battery in the scope was done.
[i39.photobucket.com]

CD22 @ 865 FPS w/15.9 gr JSB Exacts
After walking back to my truck to grab my CrosMods 22 and put away the 2240, i spotted another jack giving me the opportune shot. I passed knowing that i could barely see the red dot within the guns scope. I hurried to the truck and grabbed the CD22 and a couple handful of Predator's and went back to the area where i had just spotted the other Jack. Needless to say, he was gone. I turned left and walked a good ways before i spotted another Jack under some desert brush hiding from the sun. I ranged him and he was at exactly 48 yards. Taking careful aim with the aide of my shooting stick, i lined up the cross hairs for a shoulder/heart shot and sent a Predator poly mag pellet his way at 865 FPS. The rabbit lunged forward, twitched a couple times and expired. I simply love the Predator pellets as they just perform so flawlessly. Another rabbit in the bag and the second of the day.
[i39.photobucket.com]

R25 @ 940 FPS w/25.4 gr JSB Kings
As the time approached 11 am, the sun was starting to really heat up and i knew i would not be out very much longer. I headed back to my truck to put the CM22 away and grab a bottle of water and fruit, and to grab the final gun of the day...the Rapid 25. I always get excited when i hunt with and shoot my R25. Its simply the most reliable and well built PCP i have or have ever had...period. Since it was very hot, i decided to pick up from this location and drive to another locale as it would give me time to sit inside some much needed A/C. After reaching my final destination, i grabbed the gun from its case, topped it off to 3200 psi and began my last walk. I soon saw 2 jacks in the same area but by the time i set up to take a shot, they spooked and ran for the horizon. I continued my walk opposite the direction the 2 jacks ran in and soon saw another jack slowly hopping behind some brush. I guesstimate the brush to be about 75 yards away and decide to wait a bit to see if the jack would come from behind the bush. I then ranged some dead debris next to the bush and it was at 68 yards. As the jack hopped from behind the bush, he sat on his hind legs to see if i was still there. I then raise my R25 and set it on the shooting stick and placed the 2nd lower mil-dot slightly below his ear and between eye and the ear. The JSB Kings found its mark. Jack #3 down. I snap a couple of pics and move on. By this time i'm super hot and i tell myself, 1 more and i'm done. So off in the same direction for about 30 minutes and i decide to head back to the truck and call it a day. I knew though, that i would see more jacks as i headed back. Another 10 minute walk would provide 1 more spooked jack that ran and ran but it would also provide another jack quartering away from me at a ranged 58 yards. His positioning would not only provide for a lung shot but would also provide the opportunity to see the penetration potential of the Kings as the pellet would also exit through the heart and chest. I again sent the JSB Kings speeding on its way. Upon impact, i could hear and see the pellet ricochet off in the distance. It was a pass through from the right ribcage near the last rib up through the lung and out the chest. Roughly 6.5 inches of travel with i'm sure, power to spare judging on the ricochet zing.
[i39.photobucket.com]
[i39.photobucket.com]

While i've owned a lot of airguns, but NOT ALL, the Theoben Rapid is just my go to gun and my favorite. Every since i first shot my buddy's Rapid 25 i knew this was the gun and caliber for me. And she has not let me down since. While admittedly not being PERFECT from the factory, she has proven herself to be not only laser accurate but it's unique, powerful, reliable, well built, has a great history and following, highly tunable if need be, and has ton of nice features. While i sing high praises about my Rapid, if you have another name brand of airgun and you hold it in such high regards as i do my Rapid, then rejoice in your guns qualities but don't preach its superiority. There are MANY good airguns on the market today and just like our taste in them, individual expectations of airguns vary.

Stay Tuned
[www.tofazfou.blogspot.com]
Re: 3 gun jack rabbit hunting (pics)
August 17, 2011 08:36PM
Neat - a nice long post. Thanks Faz. I'm gonna save it for later this evening. I'm about to "first fire" a new action .... after I take Kelly to dinner first. ;?)

Thanks for the Post Bud,
Gary
August 18, 2011 12:25AM
I just don't get it; how can there be any rabbits left where you hunt? laughing again

Nice outing you had there. I'm always impressed with how you keep all the sight pictures and corrections straight when you go out with multiple guns.
August 18, 2011 05:12PM
Hi Faz ....

Great expo as usual. Oh ... but then we just "EXPECT THAT FROM YOU" .... hahahhaaha. I don't need to say more .... hehehhehehe.

OTHER GUNZ????? Well ..... whistling .... I've owned a few Barnes guns ... briefly ... and they've done OK. I'm thinking seriously about just GIVING you one ... 'cause I think you'd actually use the thing and report on it. Another idea! But then ... knucklehead ..... I'd ruin all you fun with your fleet of guns, and you'd never want to go back .... laughing .... and I don't have any sitting around anyway. ..... hahhaahhha.

Fine Job Cedric ... thumbs up

Gary
August 19, 2011 05:48AM
GB and Jerry, i love the way you guys keep me on my toes. I'm telling you guys and i mean it..........one of these day i'm gonna come visit. Just seems like we would have waaaaaaay too much fun. You guys really make me laugh.

Jerry, i will explain it in only 3 words.............."16 million acres" of desert terrain...................lol. Also, just a little explanation of my guns and settings. All my small bores have mil dot scopes. All of them are sighted in for 50 yards and i use the 4 lower mildots for anything up to 100 yards or just a tad further. Even though my FPS are slightly different in each gun, i use the highest bc pellets to keep POI "CLOSE" from gun to gun. So its pretty easy cause each gun hits just about the same POI at varying distances

GB....I TRIPLE DOG DARE YA. Come on....SEND ME ONE! I dare ya....lol. Seriously though, if your guns are as good as I THINK THE ARE, i'm sure it would replace quite a few of them in my arsenal. So far, if i had to get rid of them all and keep just one, it would be my THEOBEN RAPID 25. The rest could go. But i bet if i had one of your guns, i would even get rid of my Rapid. Hey, i got a great idea....build me one of your finest and let me see if i like it better than my Rapid. I bet i wouldn't....lol.
August 20, 2011 12:14AM
I guess it's wortha shot but I think the dare will wear off somewhere during the 45th milling operation!
August 20, 2011 12:58AM
LOL.....im sure it will. But i gotta try anyway.

Come on GB...were are ya?
August 20, 2011 02:06AM
I was working on your rifle Faz .... Gee Whiz .... how you expect me to get this thing firing if I'm sitting here. hahahaha.

Yeah ... just don't call me "CHICKEN". hahaha. You know how that worked out in the Back to the Future movies ... hahahah./

Gary
August 20, 2011 06:55AM
Great post Tofaz! So many guns, so many dead bodies. Don't ya get sick of hitting them every time??laughing again
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021