Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Hog K.O.

Hog K.O.
November 13, 2011 12:04PM
Had an unusual hunt yesterday and thought I would share. Kent left me the Grey Fox to play with for a while and I decided it needed to draw a little blood. I have some friends in town to hunt, so I figured I would take the Barnes out after a hog while they tried for a couple deer. I was in a stand with a roughly 100 yard shot (1st mistake). After ten minutes in the stand, out come three pigs all about 120 pounders. I pick one, shoot him right behind the ear (2nd mistake) and he let's out a squeal and drops in his tracks.
Well the feeder hasn't even gone off yet, so I decide to wait in the blind and see if anything else comes out. Sure enough, 45 minutes later, and two more hogs. I line up my shot, pull the trigger, and miss. Scare the bejesus out of them though and they start screaming like it's the end of the world. About this time Hog #1 (the "dead" one) jumps up, let's out a sqeal and runs off. This is after close to an hour of laying under the feeder, not moving a muscle.
I went and checked the spot and couldn't find so much as a drop of blood.
After talking to Gary, I think we're in agreement that the slug just knocked him out. (no penetration) I took a shot that was too long, and chose poor placement. Bottom line is that I made the mistakes, not the gun, or slug, or anything else. I treated an airgun like a centerfire, and as amazing as they are, they're not the same (thank God).
November 13, 2011 03:08PM
Hi Eric

Yes, you just mistook that Barnes logo for saying 50BMG ... Hehe.

I'll bet this morning you are in your Gillie Suit and face paint ... About 30 yards from the piggies. Or maybe it's a pig suit ... Circulating among the beasts .... ;?). Yeah, from out of town ... laughing

Gary
November 13, 2011 04:31PM
Eric, I know that feeling of frutration, having knocked a decent-sized wallaby over at around 60 yards with my .50 cal, only to see it rise up and bound into the bush, never to be found despite an initial blood trail! Nothing wrong with the gun but something wrong with the shot placement...
Better luck next time!
Cheers
Neil
November 13, 2011 07:33PM
Hi Eric,

Gary's theory sounds scientifically correct, but what if the hog played the old dead man trick on you?

With this air guns there it's a learning curve that you are quickly achieving. The Grey Fox it's an outstanding big bore air gun. I hope that you enjoy using it.

Julio
November 13, 2011 11:01PM
Don't go away Julio,. I'm posting pics of the color case stuff now.

Gary
November 15, 2011 01:29AM
Eric, great post. I've heard of similar even with centerfires. More than one person has been surprised by a dead animal being resurrected. Good thing you hadn't thrown it into the truck. You daughter would really be pig shy seeing that pig come leaping out of the back. I bet you have a long stick to poke the next one you have down.scared
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021