Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Hares at distance....

Hares at distance....
December 20, 2011 06:20AM
This ain't big bore, but these days I take what hunting I can get!
On Sunday morning New Zealand time I had just returned from a run in the hills when I spotted a hare directly across the valley. From the back deck of my house he lasered at 110 yards, so I rested the Falcon on the deck railing and dialed up the required distance on my scope knob. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy shot as the wind was up, gusting from the South West, a following wind.
My first shot missed and the hare ran a few paces, and suddenly its pal emerged from the long grass to join it. I took another shot, which also missed, so I re-lasered and the distance came in at 107 yards. The next shot was right on the button and the original hare dropped on the spot. This is it...
Photobucket
The other hare ran across and up the hill, then stopped, transfixed, looking out across the valley. I lasered it at 115 yards and prepared for a shot. But..nothing left in the magazine! I wandered off to the garage and loaded up, and when I returned, the hare hadn't moved an inch.
This time I laid prone on the deck, using the bipod...
Photobucket
By now , the wind was up even more, and again I missed the first shot at this hare. I figured the effect of the following wind and the lift created by it as it pushed its way up the steep slope was also pushing the slug high, so I aimed low on the body. Sure enough, there came the sound of a good hit, and the hare did a quick circuit before dropping dead.
Photobucket
Two things of interest. One is, at this kind of distance hares and bunnies have absolutely no idea where death is coming from, The other one is that again, because of the distance, I frequently think I have missed my target when I first pull the trigger, because the time delay of the sound of the hit reaching my ears is often preceded by the prey suddenly racing off. Then comes the "thwok" and the prey usually bites the dust shortly afterwards.
Cheers
Neil
December 20, 2011 08:16PM
Now Neil,

You don't have to start missing first shots, just in deference to me. I appreciate the thoughtfulness, but we all know you are pulling your shots. winking smiley

Have a wonderful Christmas Bro! All our best to your family. ;?)

Gary
December 21, 2011 05:24PM
Thanks, and all the very best to you and yours, Garyrudolph
Cheers
Neil
December 22, 2011 05:06AM
Great shooting Neil. Isn't it fun shooting at that range
December 22, 2011 04:45PM
Thanks Tofaz, it is fun for sure. I like the challenge in getting all the variables right.
Merry Christmas!
Neil
December 22, 2011 08:14PM
Could have used you in Texas Neil!

I had to use my little fried brain instead ... ;?)

You do great.

Gary
December 22, 2011 09:05PM
Great shooting Neil! It's wonderful that you have these impromtu opportunities and that you can make the most of them.
December 23, 2011 03:54AM
Thanks Jerry, but I'm still learning, and Gary's post about shooting down (or up) hill has got me thinking about some of my practising with big bores, which has been quite angled shooting. I will need to think that through some more.

Cheers

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021