Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

War on magpies (smallbore again, sorry...)

War on magpies (smallbore again, sorry...)
April 01, 2012 07:08AM
It's been war on the maggies at my place, though they are getting more wary. This morning I heard one calling and eventually saw a glimpse of it in the trees up the valley. So I pulled out the Falcon .22 (it was early morning so I had to be quiet, and the Falcon is mousefart quiet) and my rangefinder and sneaked to the corner of my deck. This was the position, rested on the pool fence
Photobucket
Maggie was in those kanukas, partially obscured. I lasered the kanuka it was in at 75 yards then added 2 more yards on the elevation turret for the depth the maggie was within the kanuka. I shot and for a few seconds nothing happened. Then it did the vertical plummet associated with being very dead. Here it is where it fell
Photobucket
and turned over, you can see it took a shot through the very top of the chest/lower neck
Photobucket
The best bit was that by late morning a hawk had cleaned it up and left a smear of feathers across the hillside. Sweet revenge for all those mid-air attacks that the hawks put up with from the damn maggies.

Cheers

Neil
Re: War on magpies (smallbore again, sorry...)
April 01, 2012 03:41PM
Another great shot and another happy hawk!

What kind of grass is that? Looks a lot better than my yard...
April 01, 2012 06:12PM
Just plain old pasture grass Jerry...we have had a wet summer/autumn so it is quite lush.
By the way, I sent some Surefire Barnes Raptors down range yesterday, getting my Sam Yang 909s up and running. Same-holed 2 at 81 yards while testing, and love the way they whistle!
Cheers
Neil
April 02, 2012 04:42PM
Excellent! I didn't know you still had that 909! I'm glad the Raptors are still fresh!
April 08, 2012 09:00PM
Great! Glad to hear that too. You're still a young man if you can hear the whistle. All those who have told me they didn't hear a thing, were older gents. Must be a sound frequency issue.

Gary
October 21, 2012 06:46PM
Great excelent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021