Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The GM Carbine gets a kill

The GM Carbine gets a kill
November 23, 2014 05:51AM
Last weekend I spotted a hare up the valley and decided this was the one for the Green Machine Carbine, which had not yet had a kill in the carbine format. I stalked around the hillside and as I poked my head over the brow of the hill the hare was on the move. He stopped near the bush and I lasered him at 60 yards, a little too far for me with the scope zeroed at 40 yards. So I crept back around and uphill and found that the hare had not moved and I was now at 48 yards. I lay down prone, held over a few inches, and let rip. A few cartwheels then still. A 120 grain roundball through the noggin.
 photo 20141116_190219_resized_zps1d8b80cd.jpg
 photo 20141116_190026_resized_zpsb497ce27.jpg
The hare is the lower of those two white shapes in the centre of the pic. The higher one is a kill from a day earlier with the Falcon at 118 yards. Strangely, the hawks didn't feast on the carcasses, but eventually some black-backed gulls came around and cleaned them up.
This carbine is a beauty.
Cheers
Neil
Re: The GM Carbine gets a kill
November 24, 2014 04:49AM
Well Done Neil!

Glad you got out on Safari. You seem to have your gear all sorted out. Most folks would have to stop and put a scope on the gun - wait - maybe a red dot - or iron sights! Maybe one of those Quigley rigs .... then test a few shots. Now .... what was that fill pressure? ..... laughing

Impresses me that you always have your gear ready, dialed in, and even batteries in your laser range finder! Good grief!!!

thumbs up thumbs up

Gary
November 24, 2014 08:27PM
Some people are just so sorted out. Nice shooting Neil!
Sal
November 25, 2014 02:01AM
I always leave the stupid red dot on and find myself battery-less. sad smiley

Nice shot Neil. No rabbit stew?
November 25, 2014 03:18PM
Hi Neil,

Great story and excellent shot. As always beautiful scenery. That's the first take and many more to come.

Julio
November 27, 2014 05:39AM
Thanks Gary, Jerry, Sal and Julio.
I am quite organised with a few of my guns.....I can safely say my ,22 Falcon, .25 BSA Lonestar. the .44 Green Machine and Ms Fugly (pretty much) are all ready for the hunt. That leaves another 4 guns to be properly set up, so there is still plenty of work in progress!
Hope to get a goat hunt with the .44 soonish, it is a case of sourcing a hunting ground within reasonable reach and that is not easy. But I have some ideas.
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021