Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, it's raining and hailing here....

Well, it's raining and hailing here....
May 10, 2009 07:41AM
..and about 4 degrees Celcius (39.2F), so I had to visit my archives and explain why I want to post some video on hunting possums. These critters were introduced to New Zealand from Australia for their fur, sometime in the last century. However, with no natural predators, their numbers have grown exponentially and now there are around 70 million of them, chewing through our native vegetation and eating native bird's eggs and nestlings. So we shoot these very tough critters as often as we can.
I posted on what they look like not long ago:
[www.airgunrendezvous.com]
Anyway, a wee while back I set up my SamYang 909 (yes, the troublesome one) for night-hunting:

and walked up the back of my house to an old gum tree (another Australian import!) and shot this possum with a 155 grain EPP-UG:

One down, 69 million nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine to go.....hehhehehe...fudd
Cheers
Neil
Re: Well, it's raining and hailing here....
May 10, 2009 07:46PM
Nice shot Neil. Was he posing like the steel critters we shoot? surprised Nice rig you have there, everything you need for night operations.
May 11, 2009 01:51AM
Thanks for the post Neil. You are gonna need a BUNCH of lead!! haha. That should keep Jerry's boys busy for some years to come ... smileys with beer

Looks like they should just burst into flames from that huge spotlight!

thumbs up

Gary
May 11, 2009 07:57AM
Hehehehe...I'm thinkin' I might need a Gatlingshooter
I wonder if Jerry could keep up the supplies....eye popping smiley
May 11, 2009 07:40PM
good shoot. very nice
May 11, 2009 08:27PM
Thanks Ertogrulsmiling smiley
May 11, 2009 07:59PM
Have they ever put a bounty on them. Dory
May 11, 2009 08:25PM
Hi Dory

Yes, way in the past but not now. However their fur is valuable and a lot of hunters pluck them and get a good price per kilo. A lot of possums needed for a kilo though!
The fur has very good insulation properties and is mixed with wool to make nice warm garments and socks.

Cheers

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021