Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First kill in 2009...

First kill in 2009...
January 04, 2009 07:13AM
Happy New Year guys!
Well it's been very hot and very windy since Christmas, but this morning the wind had died down a bit and I wandered out onto the back deck at around 7.00 am, trying to decide whether to go for a hunt or shoot some targets. I saw a rabbit up the valley and decided to do both. I quickly set up my sophisiticated mini-bench (patent pending)

loaded up the Falcon with .22 BSA Wolverines, and grabbed my range-finder. The bunny ranged at exactly 100 yards. Here's the view down range

Anyway I shot the poor wee fella through the heart/lungs and he rolled over once and that was it. You can just see him in this shot with the camera zoomed in, just below that stick in centre of the picture

and here he is, only little, but one less pest...

Then I went for a wander to the top of my land and saw nothing but this cruise ship coming into the harbour

OK, the last bit is off topic but it was a great sight on a great summer morning.
Regards from NZ
Neil
Re: First kill in 2009...
January 04, 2009 09:19AM
OMG!!!

Thats it, i'm moving to NZ!
Getting up in the morning to that kind of veiw must be a real bummer......whistling
January 04, 2009 04:25PM
OK ... now I'm totally depressed.

Looks like you've died and gone to Heaven Neil.

Gary
January 04, 2009 04:42PM
Neil,

We've decided to charter a jet for for the entire membership of the AR site to come visit you. Is it difficult to get airguns past customs? drinking smiley
January 05, 2009 07:00AM
Cheers everyonegrinning smiley
You are all welcome herewelcome but you must all bring your favorite Barnes gun as admission feerolling happy smiley I will take very good care of them forevercool smiley
January 05, 2009 12:10PM
Wow . . . that's pretty awesome. What great place to shoot (and live).

Gary, where's our cruise ship?

-- Jim
January 05, 2009 01:52PM
SS Rendezvous is loading as we speak!

(If Jim would find some more smilies ... I'd have chosen one of a boat here) hehe

Gary
January 16, 2009 04:37PM
That pic of the harbor reminds of the first time I camped in the Grand Teton national park.....

got up just at dawn, climbed out of the tent and looked up at the Tetons.....No further proof of the Divine is necessary.

Who do we talk to about cruise tickets to NZ?
February 07, 2009 11:03PM
Beautiful scenery and great shot.
February 10, 2009 06:20PM
Thanks! There was a sequel to this kill....a New Zealand airgunner pointed out to me that it was actually a small hare I shot, not a rabbit. The size fooled me.
Cheers
Neil
February 12, 2009 03:58AM
Nice shot Neil !!! 100 yd shot with a 22! Now I'll grant you that the Falcon is a tack driver, but a 100 yd shot is a good reach.. BTW, A short barrel Falcon 12 with a moderator was my first ever PCP. I bought it from Van of Airhog at Standing stone IV along with my carbon fiber tank. It is great fun to shoot but I guess I've never really stretched its legs. I've always kept my shooting at less than 50 yards. It sure does make a rabbit cut a flip with a well placed shot.

Thanks for sharing,

Kent
February 12, 2009 06:46PM
Cheers Kent
I think the Falcon should be good out to 150 yards (best kill to date a hare at 139 yards, shot by my son), as it still carries enough energy to kill at that distance, according to Chairgun (around 9 fpe). And of course, Harry (Yrrah) off the Yellow has killed at 183 yards with a .22 of similar power to my Falcon. Conditions would need to be perfect to achieve a kill as far out as 150+ yards though!
Regards
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021