Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Demon Bird - Chapter 4

Demon Bird - Chapter 4
April 26, 2010 10:42PM
If you've followed this Saga, you may think I'm completely nuts. May be. However; how do you get rid of a pest this intent upon endlessly screwing with your cars, and making such a horrible mess. Kelly also did a bit of a net search, and found that Robins are amazingly territorial ... and, once they nest, they will attack people repeatedly. Absurd.

I'd become intrigued by the degree of detail required to get out of this position of being on defense, in my own home.

I decided the horrible trigger, had to go. The sightings of this bird, were becoming sooooo rare, that I had to be able to deliver the pellet accurately. I tore down the unit ... thinking I'd make new levers. I saw a way to change the geometry to give the trigger part more leverage advantage, and also add a wheel bearing to both lessen friction ... and contact another portion of the sear lever. The result of these mods, is a decent trigger.

a_trigger_job.jpg

I shot it some ... using an overhand grip on the top of the scope. It was decent, and seemed now to be accurate enough.

The next thing, you will either chuckle at, follow my interest in the "Quest", or think I'd just gone raging madd. I could not get a shot at the bird any longer. Now that the gun was ready, the bird was "wired!" I had the camo cloth up. I'd even doubled it - to get less light thru that window - and almost totally mask sight thru it. I had the back lights off. I was extremely stealthy. To no luck.

I decided I needed to go "black out" to fade more into the shadows of the shop.

a_blackoutsuit.jpg

I put on the black sweatshirt I wear in the bluing room. Figuring my white arms flashed thru the camo cloth/net. To be clear ... this fabric is dense and tough, but with small "flap piercings" all over it. These create a leafy effect, and flutter ... but they create holes you can see thru. I'd sliced it just enough to use the gun and scope thru a pierced window in the cloth. Figuring my glasses, my blaze white beard, and white face were at least as hard to hide ... (and being that the only opportunity I had was at very close range) ... I pulled on my black hunting mask and gloves! Honest. I know ... I know ... you are rolling on the floor. But ... YOU have never been terrorized by a Robin! hahah. eye popping smiley

I gave up on the idea of "finding" the bird here and there on the ground, fence, etc. Instead, I set up my trap totally on the nest being build. I decided to simply (occasionally) just watch the nest beam, thru a small hole, ... with my pistol ready. With the lights off, with the blackout garb. And, the bird STILL knew every instant, when I was there. I'd creep, and find it watching me. Or, if I sat and waited ... it would NEVER come back to the area in view. I'd have to leave for a time ... drop back later ... but it would ALWAY S bust me instantly. I know ... I know. Pipe smoker

And so ... I decided to back out some. I moved back into the room. Sit back at the fartherest extent of the narrow room. Everything else in play as well. Tried this over another day's here and there. The bird continued to mess the cars, etc. And, if I'd leave the back door, it would have been there waiting (with building materials in it's beak) watching for me. I'd laid out some string knots and ribbon rubbish ... it would never come while I watched. I'd go work for awhile ... come back and they would be gone ... incorporated into the nest! Duhool!!!!!

Anybody getting more respectful of "Robin Hunting" yet? haha.

Finally, today ... I decided I needed yet another "layer" of optical distraction ... "double screen camo". I took down the camo cloth from the window on the alley. That wasn't in play anymore. I tightened up the hole in the cloth at the shooter's window. I fell back about eight feet, and stretched the second cloth across the doorway from the buffing room. I sliced a small rectangular hole - actually two of them - into the cloth. I set a bucket on the floor ... with a pc. of carpet on it (they can HEAR worms in the ground ya know ... the cocking their head thingie they do - before pouncing on a worm).

Now ... the first hole was smaller at the exit window. Behind that, was light coming in from the alley on the right. Behind that was the second screen of camo (with two small rectangle slit areas). It was now illuminated on the front, by the alley window. Behind that, the lights were out (daytime ... but inside the shop hall there, it was dusky). And then ... I went back to work and let it all "simmer".

At lunch time, Kelly made me a nice sandwich, and I sit at the bench, listening to the radio show - over in the main section of the shop. About half way thru ... I decided to go "check on things". The lights were off there. I slowly ducked into the compressor hall ... and pulled on my blackout. I eased down onto the bucket seat, with the gun in my gloved hand over the scope.

a_hidy_hole.jpg

Here is the view from the second screen. Thru this rectangular hold ... and you see that small dark hole in the window cloth? Then, beyond that, there's the steel electrical box ... where the Demon Bird was building. Oh ... I'd also stuck a small pc, of broken mirror up there - taped to the beam - this am. Thought it might cause the bird to become careless and fight the reflection. It did not.

Well, I eased down into position ... and .... THERE!!!! The bird was working. Actually, it was about 75% on alert ... watching the hole at the window ... then pecking some on the nest area. The crosshairs came up. The holes in the cloth and the optics aligned with the subject ... my finger twitched ... "Pffft" ... and the Demon Bird folded over the other side of the beam.

I thought it was hit, but did it just drop off the beam ... the "duck and roll" technique? haha.

I put down the tools of my deadly craft .... pulled off the mask and gloves, and went around to the back of the shop. Opened the door and came around to the patio.

There. It's over.

a_can it be.jpg

The Demonic Pscyo Bird had been brought down. But not by any "ordinary effort". Only by a degree of escalation only ever witnessed few times in history ... I do say!

Gary
a_double_camo.jpg
Re: Demon Bird - Chapter 4
April 26, 2010 11:53PM
aaahhhhhhhhhh man, you done killed it. ARRRRGGGGGHHHH! This story was getting really good. Well, it has always been good.

I think this story is pretty neat if ya go back to the beginning and follow the story since day one. WOW GB, you and your cars have gone through a lot just to get that darn blasted foo flam ROBIN. Well, congrats on getting rid of that pest.

Hopefully soon and during your spare time, i hope to read some post on your modding of that 1377. At least i look forward to it.
April 27, 2010 12:14AM
Holy cow! I just realized that Gary has learned sniper tradecraft! I'm not going up there until I know he hasn't been dumped on by customers!
April 27, 2010 08:49AM
It sounds like you're writing the next sequel to "Caddyshack", just substitute robins for gophers and you've got it!winking smiley

I'm just happy that you got the "robin invasion" resolved without resorting to high explosives. grinning smiley
April 27, 2010 01:24PM
I didn't say that Sean.

The high explosives didn't work. Had to move on - as detailed.

Gary
April 27, 2010 02:50PM
Good work Gary!

So, my question is which is nuttier, the bird acting crazy or the man the bird drove to modify his gun, house, schedule, et cetera to stop it?

Gotta ask the tough questions!tongue sticking out smiley
April 27, 2010 05:31PM
Crossman - Demon Bird 005.JPG

Counter question: Your house?

Both sides of three cars ... every day ... for a week.

I rest my case. USA!  USA!

Gary
April 27, 2010 08:02PM
Gary,

This whole thing makes me chuckle, but only because it wasn't my place. Not a haha chuckle, more of a I can't believe that happened chuckle. Nature is a powerful force, and this was just a Robin. Wow!

I'm glad you ended it and now can take a "break". If you're anything like me you probably just want to get back to the shop with no distractions.

Thanks for the story and the pics.

Griffin
April 27, 2010 08:13PM
Glad you enjoyed the story Griffin,

thumbs up

Wasn't quite the Marathon it may seem. "hang pc. of camo cloth on two existing protruding thingies ... 24 seconds", "hang second curtain of camo cloth (later) on two OTHER existing protruding thingies ... 33 seconds (I got tired and slowed down as I went ... hahah)."

The only big ticket items were working on the gun ... and they were an hour a couple of times ... over the weekend evenings. Life went on ... just with a bunch of fussing, hosing of cars, and the occasional peeping out of windows .... that sort of thing. laughing again

Just thought some may enjoy the absurdity of the story, and the degree of escalation required to get into position to dispatch one lousy Robin! haha.

Thanks for the comments. smileys with beer

Gary
April 27, 2010 11:22PM
Hunting is just plain goofy! Gary has to become a small caliber sniper to get rid of the demon robin but if we go shooting a whole HERD of deer will drop by to see what all that noise is about! Just to rub it in, I told Gary a story i heard just the other day about the daughter of a friend who missed her deer because she was applying make-up when the big buck came by to see what smelled so good...
April 28, 2010 01:02AM
Right ... eye rolling smiley

And, on the way home from town a couple of hours ago ... there were two deer ... grazing ... on the wide shoulder grassy area. I mean ... like cattle. Full daylight. Dozens of cars passing in each direction. Cars which were covered in Robin crap, with waxy streaks and scratches on the windo..... oh .... nevermind ....

Even sadder
April 28, 2010 06:02AM
The whole story I'm thinking what the heck is this bird eating, 5lb bag of prunes every morning?
April 28, 2010 06:53AM
Well Gary, I have to admire your perseverence and cunning......qualities of a true hunter! fudd
Cheers
Neil
April 28, 2010 04:16PM
Ah shucks Neil .... all in a day's work. take a bow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021