Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Real life test with another HP slug

Real life test with another HP slug
May 16, 2010 08:56PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday here rained all day. I did some plinking from the garage, using the Falcon, to practice off-hand shooting, and also kneeling and prone, all good practice for hunting. The off-hand work paid off later Sunday evening, when I decided to go for a hunt in the rain, in order to test out some of these little Bob Vogel 68 grain HP's I got for the .308 quite a while back.
Photobucket
They travel at around 995 fps, and I nick-named them "stingers", because they were tiny but fast, and I reckoned they really would sting when they hit the prey. Well, I was wrong.
I went out in the rain last night looking for a possum as a test subject. Couldn't find one, but came across this hare at 50 yards, and shot it. It ran about 30 yards and ended up in a gully, lying on its side, as you do when you're dead. There was no apparent damage, until I turned it over....
Photobucket
A closer look...
Photobucket
So the exit wound from these little "stingers" is quite spectacular, suggesting that the hollowpoint is opening up very nicely indeed. I think this may become my possum-slug of choice.
Maybe I need to re-name them.....how about "the disemboweller"?
Cheers
Neil
Re: Real life test with another HP slug
May 16, 2010 09:29PM
Well That worked well! Amazing that the hare could go 30 yards with that much damage. Looks like a good possum round. Do they fly well out to longer range?
May 17, 2010 12:23AM
Wow - what a mess.

See - I told you before Neil, haha, bullets will fly in the rain. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

hahaha.

Gary
May 17, 2010 04:08PM
Ahhh my favorite airgun past time. Blasting Jacks. Well, i won't bother to show you guys what happens when a 450 FPE 305 gr HP hits a jack at 50 yrds....EWWWW.

Yep Neil, those lil HP's definitely do the work.
May 17, 2010 06:02PM
I guess it saves ya the time of "cleaning them" ... say what?

Hey Ced ... how are you enjoying your Casio? Have you found other uses for it? I think it's a good camera.

Gary
May 17, 2010 06:28PM
Jerry, I haven't tested at 100 yards, but will do so when I get a chance. I think, though, with the lightness of them, they will be at their best at 60 yards or less....
Gary, I guess we should hunt more often in the rain, but you need to be a little desperate though!
Tofaz, sounds ultra-messyscared
Cheers
Neil
May 17, 2010 06:30PM
Oh ... no trouble. I always have "Desperation" at the ready! Drop of the hat. hahah.

Gary
May 18, 2010 10:38PM
Neil,

You just never know how accurate a slug might be until you shoot it. Coincidentally, Gary and I were chatting the other night about unexpected results with barrels and slugs. The barrel that has performed far better than one might expect is of course the .32 insert in the Woodsman. I don't mean to imply that good accuracy wasn't expected but routine sub-MOA accuracy out of an insert is pretty remarkable. The fact that the accuracy carries across slugs from 80 to 175gr is also unexpected, at least it was to me.

The slug result that was surprising was the 80gr Falcon slug that Gray developed for another less powerful gun. He never expected it to be a long range slug but a couple years ago, I and "guest" shooters were using the Woodsman to drop a heavy steel plate by shooting through a 2" kill zone at 126yards with that slug! It just didn't seem likely that the light slug would drop or even hit the spot as consistently as it did. A pleasant surprise indeed!

I have to cast some more of those and check the speeds with the current tune, they might be supersonic now as the heavier Bishops are really screaming. It will be really interesting if the lighter slugs can take the greater power...
May 19, 2010 04:57AM
GB,

Well, i've used it a few times for it HD quality video. Do like the HD video but, the one thing that i don't like about the camera is its microphone. Casio missed it big time with the microphone. I mean, you cant have a decent movie if you've got HD video and barely audible audio. The other thing that i discovered is that the camera is definitely better suited to a tripod than being hand held. I do mostly all video and photos with the camera on a tripod. Even with all the anti shake set to auto, that thing picks up my heart beating. No seriously, it does.

Other than that, its a fun little camera. It does take pretty nice pictures for my level of expertise or lack there of is what i should say. Still mastering the SLO MO stuff but i think i just about got it.

What are your Pros and Cons to date?
May 21, 2010 09:44PM
Not really a pro or con but I did have to learn that the camera defaults to "normal" quality and you might want to set it to "fine."
May 21, 2010 10:13PM
I'm sure the cons are my fault still, at this point.

I'd like to be able to zoom and find the subject easier. There's most likely some sort of subject lock that I haven't researched. I get fumbly when trying to zap something far off.

It's a great little unit for the price. I need to use it more.

Gary
May 22, 2010 09:01AM
There is the face detection mode that searches around for a face to focus on. Pretty sure it might work with other inanimate objects in the field.

There is also a MEMORY function that when set, turns the default settings to whatever you make them each and everytime the camera is turned on and off.

Zoom position is one of them.
Digital Zoom is another.
Self timer and a few others also.

The Digital Zoom is the one that used to ACHE MY HEAD until i decided to review the instruction CD that came with the camera. That CD is the Key to figuring out this camera. It has the most instructions about the cameras functions and settings.

But you guys knew that.
May 22, 2010 04:42PM
Instruction CDs are for sissys. hehehe.

I usually push buttons and mutter to myself. arguing

Just as soon as I finish the ledger, I'm gonna sit myself down and study that CD. More coffee

LOL!

Gary
May 24, 2010 04:05AM
LOL....

Yeah, it was quite unmanly of me to openly admit that I actually READ the INSTRUCTIONS...lol

Please guys, don't ban me from the Brotherhood of Manliness.

I SWEAR, when i'm lost, i never ask for directions. I just keep driving till i find where i'm going...I SWEARgrinning smiley

LOL, no seriously though GB, that CD is a good read.
May 24, 2010 02:46PM
Hi Ced,

Yeah - I had the thing in my CD slot for a month. I used it some. Oooops, I mean .... ah .... whistling

Got it laying right here for reference. I'll get back to it again.

Hey ... what's the twist on those big bore barrels of yours? You ever check them?

Gary
June 01, 2010 03:48AM
GB, you know, i really don't know the twist rate.

Sorry for the late response to your question.

But no, i don't know the rate. Guessing, i need to figure that out. 6 lands and grooves though.
June 01, 2010 03:32PM
Hi Cedric,

Note my handy dandy tutorial on measuring twist rate. ;?)

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021