Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

200 Yards!

200 Yards!
May 16, 2010 10:29PM
I finally got a contender for the "What's your longest kill?" posts!

While Gary and I were having another day at the range and shooting paper and steel targets, a couple ground hogs presented themselves. That was a mistake.

The first one came out of the woods right about 50 yards from the war wagon. We were just about to go freshen targets when I saw him. Naturally, the Woodsman was sighted in at 100 yards and it was tethered so getting prepared for a quick shot was awkward.

I jumped back into the trailor and loaded a Bishop and as quickly as I could...missed. The ground hog just froze apparently wondering what that noise was? I fumbled about and loaded a Totem Pole (175gr) slug and got into position again just to realize I needed to cock the gun! Boy, that groud hog is sure being patient! Finally, I recalled my sight picture at 50 yards (I'd been shooting the switch blade target at 50 earlier) and took another shot. The ground hog dropped in place and after a couple seconds of twitching it was all over.

50yardgh.jpg
That's how we found him.

50exit.jpg
The exit wound.

50ydtotem.jpg
The big slug went in through the shoulder and passed diagonally before exiting the side. This guy didn't move more than a few inches from where he was when hit.

Later, another ground hog appeared at the far end of the range. I took a couple shots and missed but my second shot with the Bishop slug was very close and gave me a good sight picture for that range. I remembered that and also got another slug dialed in for 135 yards in case I got another opportunity.

Well, sure enough, I got one. I was about to load and shoot when Gary told me to stop, there was another ground hog! I was reaching for the Can slug when he said the GH was all the way on the horizon of our range. I dropped the Can and grabbed a Bishop I had ready and got loaded.

I looked up and saw the GH way out there, maybe a bit further than the one I had missed but not that much different. It took a couple seconds to get the scope focused and regain the picture as the GH was moving every couple seconds.

For this shot I had the great advantage of having the target in line with where I had been shooting anyway and I could use the bench bags like it was just another target shot...at twice the normal range.

I waited a few seconds for the GH to strike a pose in the grass while I refined my hold over estimate and let her fly. "Got him!" I'd say Gary and I were both a bit surprised as we watched the GH through the scopes. It flailed a little bit and came down the hill for about 6-8 feet towards the tree line and then died.

200asfound.jpg
That's how we found her.

200entrance.jpg
The entrance wound, it took a while to find it.

200entrancecu.jpg
No bleeding at all, just a nearly round hole.

200exit.jpg
The exit wound. No bleeding here either, it was quick. The slug went through the vitals diagonally. The Bishop is a 95-96gr slug that the Woodsman shoots at about 960fps in current tune. Apparently, this leaves plenty of energy at 200 yards to pass though small game.

Oh, about the yardage...

200ydview.jpg
A view from the kill back to the war wagon.

200ydview2.jpg
Another shot...

getting the shot.jpg
Gary working all his coordination to get a picture through the laser range finder.

200 Yards, laser measured! I'm pretty happy with that. I allways kid Gary about the need to go buy a Zeiss scope for the Woodsman as the scope on it has no mil-dots and I'll never be able to hit anything without them...
Re: 200 Yards!
May 16, 2010 11:47PM
200 yards!! Jerry, that is sensational! Congratulations!take a bow I bet you still have a warm feeling inside from that spectacular kill...
Cheers
Neil
May 17, 2010 12:10AM
Thanks Neil. I don't know about a warm feeling but I do keep repeating "200 yards!"
May 17, 2010 12:21AM
Ah yes, the gun:

wdsmn5.jpg
Just a little gadget gun Gary whipped up to shoot shot, .62 slugs or .32 sniper rounds!

wdsmn8.jpg
The scope shown conveniently without turret cover.
May 17, 2010 12:27AM
Interesting,

Yeah ... that would take a wheel. It would be a nice little lathe project for you. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes!

Gary
May 17, 2010 12:09AM
Yep ... I saw the groundhog's tail (thru my scope) - vertical, waving a slow surrender thru the grassy stubble up on the hill.

That was quite a good pc. of scope work with the 18 power simple cross hairs. Jerry was just estimating a percentage of vertical post showing for that distance.

Hey - Jerry ... I just thought. We both have to get set up with wheels on top and elevation charts. I've done that many times in the past, with rifles that I had access to longer than a week or two. Seems I remember having a chart on that scope of yours before. But, I forget what sort of turret adjustment system it has. I'm not sure if it's adaptable to a top wheel. My big old Tasco Custom shop 8 by 40 by 56 mil-dot will though. You can just set it up like a FT rig ... but you need to have that default slug and stay happy with it.

Oh ... side note. I woke yesterday am with a throat tickle ... and now I already have a magnificant head cold that is kicking my butt. Hope it didn't spread to the other side of the war wagon yesterday. I'd feel bad ... but you were already on the road when I got up yesterday, and I wasn't officially a known health risk yet. Kelly had a cold last week that lingered ... but she seemed over it, and I had never gotten it .... yet! Uh oh.... whistling Ya better have some chicken soup, Zicam, wrap yourself in ace bandages ... eye popping smiley ... the whole thing! haha.

Well - THAT was a long shot with anything. But an AIR gun?? Now THAT was a shot. thumbs up Good going. That gadget gun of yours sure does shoot.

smileys with beer

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2010 01:09AM by barnespneumatic.
May 17, 2010 01:15AM
a_200yds.jpg

Had to duplicate that pic here!

Just to the right of the war wagon, you see a plastic table standing on edge. That was my laser reflector. The rangefinder holds the numerals for a second or so ... my aim on the table yielded the 200 yard marker ... but my hold sagged a triffle before the shutter of the camera fell. If you ever try this little feat ... put the camera on macro setting. It needs to do that to focus on the internal display of the rangefinder ... and then is using the rangefinder's optics for magnification. It's neat. Awkward ... but neat. grinning smiley

Gary
May 17, 2010 05:32AM
Only 200 yards? Weak sauce! Now if you had spent all that money on a "real gun" then you could have shot something much farther out and you wouldn't have missed the first shot.rolling happy smiley

Oops, this isn't a powder burning forum!

Nice shot!! That's mighty impressive. Both the shooting and the fact that an "airgun" is acurate that far out.bowing
May 18, 2010 10:46PM
Griffen,

Amazing how those PB guys never shoot anything inside of 800 yards eh? eye rolling smiley

I was bragging to a couple guys at the office the other day that actually have hunted (one of them brought in Elk burgers for lunch last week!) and they were both pretty impressed with the shot.

One of them was asking just how far I had to hold over to make the shot. I described the sight picture and he appreciated that but I might have to go dig up some BC and chairgun data....
May 17, 2010 04:21PM
that's a heck of a shot and a great post. I just laugh every time i see you guys together cause you two remind me of kids with new toys...lol. And that's refreshing. Cause that's exactly how i feel when i go out shooting. Whether its powder burners or airguns. Its all fun.

And yes, i'm really surprised that most folks (not you guys obviously) with big bores don't do more long range shooting. Its amazing to me. Just about every time i go out with the BIG BORES i let some lead fly downrange beyond 100 yards with 150-175-200 being the most common shots for me.

And dang on it, i sure wish i could see some pics of those bullets you guys shoot. The bishops...pepper grinders...etc...etc..
May 17, 2010 06:13PM
Well Cedric,

You should have gotten the Barnes Decoder Ring .... laughing

We only talk about that stuff when we lower the "Cone of Silence". It's really awkward in the War Wagon too. The darn thing takes up a lot of ceiling space. USA!  USA!

We all do have fun at the range. Always very good when I have something that needs testing at the same time.

Gary

What O.D.s are you shooting in your big bores?
May 18, 2010 10:48PM
Ced,

You're just going to have to come on by to see the slugs...and shoot them! Boys with toys eh? Yup!
May 18, 2010 11:30PM
Alright Jerry, one day i'm gonna take you up on your offer. That would be super fun.

But hey, i understand about the slugs. I'm just such a gun nut that i wanna see it all. But i've known for a while that ole' Mr. GB don't show off his SPECIAL AMMO. His craft just fascinates me, thats all. I figure if it aint posted on his website.....THEN HE DOESN'T WANT YA TO SEE IT...LOL.

GB, by O.D. do you mean outside diameter of my bullets (sized to .457)?
May 19, 2010 01:53PM
Yeah ... that's it.

Hey Jerry ... Have you left me any molds that will size to .457?

Cedric has already had some Raptors. He might need some of those 900 grain .457s ... wink. If he had a "real" barrel, he could try our .465"s - hahah.

I know ... what about the 45 Peppergrinder? I know there's two or three molds left in the mold cabinet ... whistling ... I can have a look around. shouldn't take long. eye popping smiley

Gary
May 19, 2010 04:17PM
Yeah... about that mold... I might have that one too... whistling It might just be a cavity on a multi-mold. I'll take a look when I get home.
May 21, 2010 06:57AM
900 gr 457's....LOL!! Man, i probably could not even load that thing or even lift it up and put it in the gun. That's only like 2+ ounces of lead. And heck, if i shot it, it probably would throw me to the ground...lol

457 peppergrinders...oh, oh, oh, oh, oh....i would love some. Were and who do i pay.....SERIOUSLY. Always want to try new slugs, especially ones that you can't just get off the shelf.

I promise not to take pictures of the bullets, just the groups...

How much do those PG's weigh by the way?
May 21, 2010 02:07PM
Hi Cedric,

As I recall, there are about 350 grains. We'll have to see if the mold surfaces in Jerry's loot.

Now - you have to observe protocall while shooting them. You must wear a paper bag over your head at all times. Can't be too careful ... laughing again

Gary
May 21, 2010 09:41PM
Gents,

I did a complete mold search and now I have to move out... rolling happy smiley Oh, I slay me!

Sadly, I found .465 PGs and a .452 Bishop. I measured all the PG molds and they appeared too large and the Bishop mold has a ittle undercut at the base so I cast a couple and found they were too small for Ced's barrel. crying

Gary,
Any chance I missed something? If you have the mold number, I could look again...
May 21, 2010 10:10PM
I'll check the cherries.

The Pepper grinders were used, orig., for long range early muzzle loaders. I'd be suprised if they were too large to size for .457" We'll chat at some point.

Gary
July 13, 2010 12:30AM
I introduced another shooter to the reality of high power airguns today. I was showing one guy the new videos of the Yukon .62 "head-on" shots when another fellow walks in and takes a gander. The first guy says I have to show him the "200 yard" post so I did. His first comment? "Well THAT'S more than 10 pumps!" laughing
July 13, 2010 01:58AM
July 16, 2010 03:42AM
Great shot Jerry! bowing That's a tiny target for such long range shooting. Range estimating and holdover using best guess on a thick post shows you know your gun. I'm sure the farmer is happy to get the help on varmint control, just don't let the hunters you shared the field with a while ago know you "filled your bag" with an air gun.
Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 02:40AM by Cajun Justice.
Anonymous User
August 17, 2010 09:44PM
Jerry, that is an outrageous shot. Hope i can get that good ith the Yukon.db.
August 19, 2010 09:05PM
I'm sure it will just take a little practice. smiling smiley
August 20, 2010 03:46AM
...and we look forward to the videos of it Jerry
August 20, 2010 03:51PM
Hi Cedric,

I'm sure Florida will enjoy seeing Jerry's shooting ... but I think he's more interested in shooting "HIS" Yukon on order. haha.

Wouldn't mind having one myself. Gee Jerry ... must be nice! stunned
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021