Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rapid 25 takes out 3 Ground Squirrels (50-65-100 yrds)

Rapid 25 takes out 3 Ground Squirrels (50-65-100 yrds)
August 05, 2010 03:57AM
Got my new HD camera and it was time to take it into the field to see exactly how it would perform. After all, taking it afield is more of a true test of its OUTDOORS performance capabilities than filming stuff around the house......right?

The one thing that i've found out over the years of going out AFIELD is....well...you just can't trust the weather reports. Well, the only time they are even close to being accurate is when it's gonna rain. Other than that, weathermen/women never give you the right temperature or wind conditions. At least when i check the weather on the internet it's the case.

Temperature was supposed to be 98 degrees and the wind was only supposed to be about 7 MPH. As you can see by the video, the wind was much faster but the temperature was more like 85 degrees.

Scenario: The first GS that i ran across was 65 yards from were i parked. I saw him as i pulled up to park and i quickly got out of my truck and grabbed my gun. I then set up my camera and i took my time doing so. After setting up my camera, i looked over my truck to see if the 3 GS's were still checking me out. 1 of the 3 went down into its hole while the other 2 observed. BIG MISTAKE!! I extended my bipod legs and dropped down to the ground and crawled to the back side of my truck bed. Once i crawled pass the rear drivers side tire, i could see the same 2 GS's looking for me. I turned on my Camera and begin to take out the first GS of the 2 on the rocks. After popping the first one which is the one on the video, the other of the 3 GS's popped his head up above the "LOOK OUT" rock. Another BIG MISTAKE. I quickly nailed him also. The last of the 3 GS's dodge down into his hole after his OTHER buddy fell but, he also quickly decided to come back up top to see just what all the fuss was about. Again.....BIG MISTAKE. He also was cleanly taken. So now the tally is 3 GS's, all head shot at 65 yrds.

The very next squirrel i spotted was at a lasered 110 yards from me and i decided to not be macho and try the shot at that distance but, to real it in to a comfortable 100 yards. I know, I know, you guys are saying, "it's only 10 yards but, at these distances (100+ yrds), POA and POI become very crucial as a GS's head is not very big. And it doesn't take very much elevation at that range to OVERSHOOT your quarry. So, 100 yards it is. I simply walked up 10 paces as re-lasered the GS and he was at exactly 100 yrds. I again, dropped my Bipod legs and hit the ground on my stomach. After starting the camera, i looked through the scope and noticed the brush was blowing pretty hard to the right. That meant that the wind was blowing LEFT to RIGHT. I simply aimed up using the 4th lower mildot and aimed to the left using 1 mildot on the right. After sqeezing the trigger, i could hear a loud thwock which seemed like it took a full 2 seconds to get back to me. That just verified in my mind that the distance was LOOOOOOONG!!

The last GS on the video that i got was about the 6th GS of the day. I almost passed him up as he looked just like a small stump on a log. But lucky for me (unlucky for him), when i hunt GS's i always carry my trusty Bushnell binoculars. I then verified that what i thought was a small stump was actually a GS sitting very still with his back to me posing as a tree limb stump....lol. Ylooking at probably IS NOT a GS. If you think it is one, it probably is. They are very good at sitting very still and blending in with the back ground. This particular GS was taken at only 50 yards.

In the video at the end during the PHOTO's, you will see 2 back to back photos of a GS dead on some DEAD grass......look at how well they blend in. If it wasn't for the blood, it would be hard to see it laying there.

ENJOY,

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2010 05:12AM by Tofazfou.
Re: Rapid 25 takes out 3 Ground Squirrels (50-65-100 yrds)
August 06, 2010 09:47PM
Sweet shooting and a great video Ced! Thanks for posting.
August 06, 2010 11:15PM
You are finding a bunch of patient critters. All that camera work takes time. I'm suprised you can keep it all straight and still shoot accurately. haha.

Good job. Thanks for posting!

Gary
August 07, 2010 08:49PM
Nice clean shots there Tofaz, and in the wind as well! Great video.
Cheers
Neil
August 08, 2010 08:59PM
Thanx a ton guys.

Shooting in the wind with a small bore airgun is definitely challenging. But, to make myself more of a consistent shot maker in the wind, i only go out if winds are no more than 10 MPH. I got it down up to that point........lol. The MIL DOTS are a saving grace.

GB....your right. But i tell ya, you learn to set everything up before you hunt and i've become pretty quick at turning the camera on and hitting the record button. Having the camera mounted on my scope makes everything a lot easier and faster than carrying a gun and a tripod separately. But mostly, the squirrels go down the hole at first but i just patiently wait for them to pop back up and look for me. Like cats, they are really curious lil buggers. Just like the 2 in the 100 yard session of the video.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021