Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Had the day off today..

Had the day off today..
November 11, 2010 07:07AM
...and it was a good one! I got up about 6.45 am (a sleep-in for me) and wandered out onto the back deck, and I noticed a hare across the valley, so I went and got the Falcon and my range finder. It clocked in at 138 yards, so I dialed that up on my scope-knob, rested the gun on the big hardwood table and took a shot. I missed, and the hare ran across the hillside but only 10 or so yards. I lasered him again, at 140 yards now, adjusted the scopeknob and allowed a little windage for the down valley breeze. This time there was a definite hit, and the hare ran several steps forward, but appeared untroubled. I watched him for a while as he hopped around the gorse bushes then he moved behind one and I lost sight of him. I was contemplating going to look for him when I noticed a magpie in the big gum tree in our valley. Normally, maggies never stay more than a few seconds on that tree, because they know there is danger aound, but this must have been a youngster because it stayed put. I lasered it at 56 yards and the Falcon sent it to magpie heaven.
Next I took the dogs for a run and we visited the spot where the hare was last seen. It was curled up dead next to the gorse bush where I last saw it (these are cell-phone pics so not good quality):
Photobucket
Here's the view back to the house, it's quite a way;
Photobucket
I was pretty chuffed with this shot, being 1 yard longer than my son's best with this gun.
To cap off a good day, this evening I staked out the wood burner flue, as some starlings have been trying to build a nest there. I didn't have to wait long before I shot the ring-leader. Hopefully they will learn that is not a good place to nest.
Cheers
Neil
Re: Had the day off today..
November 11, 2010 01:07PM
Good shooting Neil! I was wondering how long it would take for you to reclaim bragging rights from your son! smileys with beer
November 11, 2010 01:20PM
Hey Neil ...

You're the champ! Me? I've got to take two weeks ... get into full sniper mode ... use decoys, camo net, double blinds .... you just stroll out with a cuppa coffee ... More coffee ... hahhah.

Good for you! Those pesky critters learned a lesson 'bout messin' with .... NEIL.

thumbs up

Gary
November 12, 2010 05:21AM
Thanks Jerry and Gary
Jerry, I think I have a head start now, as Rory has a girlfriend and his driver's license, and shooting airguns seems to be the last thing on his mindgoogle eyes
Gary, just pop over for the weekend and we will have a coffee on the back deck and wake up the neighbours as you send a huge piece of lead downrange after some poor bunnyshooter with bench rifle
Regards
Neil
November 12, 2010 03:13PM
Hi Neil,

That sounds like a great offer. I'm going to put that on my "think list". thumbs up

Gary
November 12, 2010 08:10PM
Girl friend and driver's license...yup! There's only one thing on his mind and it isn't a hare!
November 12, 2010 11:27PM
Ah yes ... back in "the day" .....

and then that ole Civil War came along ...... whistling
November 15, 2010 06:05PM
Hehehe, I think Jerry may be right, he hasn't suggested a hunt recently, been doing some hunting of his own....wink
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021