Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metalwork project...

Metalwork project...
October 26, 2012 06:43PM
I took a couple of days off from my office job to do a few things around the house - my other job.pushingarock

I've been wanting to purchase a couple of sets of angle blocks for a while. I've had my eye on the 45's and 30/60's.

Having recently aquired some 1/2" plate aluminum and a small benchtop bandsaw, I decided to get in some machine time instead of purchasing them. They are pretty cheap but I wanted the project for experience and to continue to tweak my mini-shop. It's amazing what you learn about methodology and shop processes by doing. Machine time and some reading, and I may be a machinist someday.

I was amazed at how perfectly matched they came out considering I used a $3 Exacto brand sheet metal triangle as a template. I expected to stack them for fininshing cuts to size them into a matched pair but it wasn't necessary. All pictures that do not show the two pieces separately are pictures of the angle blocks stacked together.

These are the 45's, next up, 30/60's.
IMG_2461.JPG
IMG_2465.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 06:59PM by Bigbore.
Re: Metalwork project...
October 26, 2012 09:01PM
Good job! Ah, the smell of layout fluid and a scriber ... nowthatIthink

Glad you enjoyed. Thks for the post. Gary
October 26, 2012 10:10PM
Looking good. How long before i can place an order for some scope mounts?! whistling
October 28, 2012 08:25PM
Hb,

You can order mounts now but be warned, I subcontract the mounts out to a shop in the Florida panhandle. Guy uses elves to compete against cheap foreign labor. Lower intracontinental shipping costs put our margins where they need to be.LOL!

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 11:43PM by Bigbore.
October 27, 2012 07:18PM
Nice work, and a good project to learn on.

I always did like that dykem blue color. Too bad you always end up scrubbing it off when you're done with a project.
October 28, 2012 08:31PM
Rotor,

You're supposed to scrub it off?

Wow, ya learn something everyday.surprisedToadLicking.jpg

Lon
October 28, 2012 08:53PM
Good job Lon. Now sign and date them. It will help the museum staff of the future! thumbs up
October 28, 2012 08:15PM
Gentlemen,

I just completed my set. I took a little more time on these and adjusted some shop processes.

I'm quite happy with my set. Neophyte stuff but it's progress and not just chip making for the sake of chip making, I need the 30/60's for an air gun project. I'm sure the set will see plenty of legitimate use.

Lon
IMG_2489.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 08:16PM by Bigbore.
October 31, 2012 08:00PM
Best part is that you're NEVER gonna wear those ones out. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021