Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gun Mounted Cameras

Gun Mounted Cameras
March 16, 2009 02:12PM
I've decided I simply MUST do this before I go hunting again.

If you haven't had a chance, not the videos in the Hunting Camp section.

Even for target shooting, I think I could get some neat footage. ESPECIALLY with the big bores, I loose the sight picture when the gun fires. The recoil moves the gun off target so you mostly cannot see the strike. It's far more dramatic to watch someone else taking the shot. So, I'd love to actually SEE the steel target being struck, and cartwheeling away, rather than just seeing the last flip of the five flips, when I regain the sight picture.

Gotta do it. I know a guy who can make me a mount!

And, don't forget ... you can get most of what you need by just using a set of cheap scope rings upside down ... fabricate a mount shoe for your cavera. Of course, a nice slim camera with great optical zoom would be nice. Ah ... when's the next big holiday when your wife is supposed to buy you a present.... heheh.

Gary
Re: Gun Mounted Cameras
March 18, 2009 04:03AM
I wonder if there are any "recoil rated" cameras out there? eye rolling smiley
March 18, 2009 10:03AM
Ha! Mine has been tested for recoil.
By my 5 year old daughter!!!!!!

Still works.whistling
March 18, 2009 07:13PM
Gary, I made a cheap mount for my camera a month or so back, using the scope ring method you mention. I used the camera mount off a very cheap tripod clamped into the scope mount. It allows the camera to swivel, which will be fine on the Falcon but I'm sure on a big bore the camera will get jolted off target. Haven't done any testing yet but will do soon, and will post on it.....
March 18, 2009 08:32PM
Good luck.

Yeah .. I'd really like to have a newer smaller Video camera. My digital records to high 8 tape - might be 6+ years old with a few hours on it. Isn't that the way.

The new stuff has things crazy zooms. Seems the things are around $300-400 though. Nice and narrow and light. We'll see. (Jerry just HAS to need something sooner or later ... and .... ah-HAHHH!!!!) grinning smiley

Gary
March 18, 2009 10:07PM
I WAS going to mention that making 2 mounts wouldn't take much more time than 1 but I'll just be quiet and see what happens... whistling winking smiley
August 29, 2009 01:14PM
Hello I am Larry, American, Lost in Asia. I am currently in Manila Philippines. I semi-retired but still working, that make sense to you? I just found this site about 4 months ago and I am just knocked out.

Gary you are an amazing artist in many ways, but you been told that before. Wonderful work.

I do have an air gun here in the Philippines but I use the term with some care. It is a pump up made in the Philippines in a local shop from parts made here but copied from a 30 year old Chinese air gun. I will get you photos but I have been too ashamed to take photos of it. OK to pump it up you flip out a wire lever on the font of the barrel and stand on that. (Ok barrel in the mud not good but it is bent so the end of the Barrel is about 1 inch above the mud/dirt) Then you pull the whole gun up by the butt and then lean on the butt to pump it. It is a .22 cal and it cost me $26.50 new. For another 10 bucks they took it apart right in the shop and put in a larger tank, seals that did not leak (the ones in the unit leaked new) and replaced the Hammer spring. I was told 10 pumps tops to fill it but they said 15 for the new tank. I shot it before and after at a metal plate in the shop and it sounded more powerful meaning I could hear the difference. Ears where the only pellet speed measuring device I could find in the shop. The sights are open, very crude, and I made a few changes to them or I should order a set of tape sites from you. The barrel does have rifling and it does mark the pellets. I use local pellets I buy in a plastic bag with no weight marked on them but they shoot just fine and I can and do kill rats with it.

I shoot pellets here because guns are a no no for non Philippine citizens but pellet guns are fine to own, carry, shoot, and as far as I can tell there is no season or "laws” about hunting or killing animals here. I do take any rat I can find, there are pest sparrows here and I take a few of them but never song or native birds.

I like the idea of video on a camera and searched up the links below but have ZERO experience with any of them. You might take a look I like the last one for price and ease.

[www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com]
[adrenalinecamera.com] (this company used girls in sexy cloths in their photos) Marketing ploy?
[www.hunting-fishing-gear.com] (sorry no girls but looks heavy)
[www.advancedtaccam.com] (OK I like the looks of this and the price.

Thanks I have spent a few hours here on your site and look forward spending many more here.

Larry
August 29, 2009 03:40PM
Welcome Larry.

Good man ... that's enjoying the sport as God intended. Use what you have and make minor improvements. But shoot, and enjoy it.

I'll bet I have a gun like yours leaning in the corner of the office here .... somewhere (if I can find it ...). I bought it at a gun show years ago. Same bent wire foot to the pump - 22.

Thanks for the post.

Gary
August 29, 2009 04:13PM
Welcome Larry. It sounds like a pretty good deal you got there. I'd like to see some pictures and video of the next hunt!
January 04, 2010 02:34PM
welcome too , sounds like a fine gun , ,,, ok , well at least an interesting one
hope you enjoy all the reading on the site , and garys own website , thers a lot of very interesting reading over there
regards
tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021