Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Neil's cheap and nasty foldaway shooting bench..

Neil's cheap and nasty foldaway shooting bench..
June 14, 2009 08:52AM
My spare time lately has been taken up with constructing a foldaway shooting bench. It was a natural progression from this:

..to this....

..and now this:

I made it out of a sheet of 18 mm MDF board, given to me free from the local hardware store, as it was a packing sheet. So the main material was free, and most of the cost was in hinges and polyurethane. Basically, it consists a top with hinged legs, "bipod" at the front and "monopod" at the back. A length of MDF swings down in the middle as a brace, and the whole unit is tensioned up with a $5.00 ratchet tie-down.
Here's how it sets up. First, a folded up view:

The front legs swing down, the back leg swings up and the brace swings across into place:

..the ratchet tie down is added and tensioned, and the bench is stood on its feet:

Sorry some of the photos aren't the best, but you'll get the general idea. The good thing about this bench is that I can set it up in 31 seconds, so no shooting time is wasted!
So is it any good?
Well, I tried it out this afternoon with the Falcon, at 100 yards. There wasn't much wind, just enough to be annoying. I tethered the Falcon (for the first time), and shot unweighed, unsorted pellets, trying to screen out the rough ones as I shot (wish I'd had my reading glasses!). After some time sighting in, I shot 3 groups, as below:
One sub MOA

One a shade over MOA

..and the last one wind-affected, though the first 2 shots in the bull excited me..

So, anyway, after all that I think it will do the trick. It is comfortable to sit at and and nice and steady. Next, to test it with the big boresshooter with bench rifle
Cheers
Neil
Re: Neil's cheap and nasty foldaway shooting bench..
June 14, 2009 01:44PM
Excellent work Neil! That's a very nice design you've come up with. Being able to set up quickly means you'll have fewer excuses to not be shooting and the whole experience gets better. Nice job during the test session too. You now have a full long range shooting system!
June 14, 2009 05:47PM
Hey Neil - Fine Job!

Good plan - very well done.

Of course ... ya know I have a patent on "Hinges" ... but we can sort that out. laughing again

Nice shooting too! You're on fire down there! The Winter seems to be good for you. hehe.

Thanks for the post.

Gary
June 15, 2009 08:14AM
Thanks Jerry and Gary. Yes I now have the 4500 psi tank, regulator and 3' microbore hose, boom-box and shooting bench. Time for some 100 yard target shooting!
I must admit my bench is no Boyenga or Barnes, but as long as it holds together I'll be happygrinning smiley
Gary, I thought your patent was only on wooden hinges....winking smiley
Cheers
Neil
June 21, 2009 04:59AM
Nice shooting bench Neil! And the groups are excelent shooting! Good job!
January 04, 2010 02:37PM
great , simple and effective , fantastic piece of design
well done
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021