Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Trade? Axis, Blackbuck and/or Hog hunt for your bigbore

Trade? Axis, Blackbuck and/or Hog hunt (EDIT: OR WHITETAIL) for your bigbore
September 12, 2011 07:14PM
I have a ranch in TX with large numbers of Axis deer and Blackbuck antelope, along with wild hogs. This is not a gamefenced place, these are decendents of animals that were released in the forties and are all free roaming. I am looking to trade a hunt for a bigbore, I'll consider any guns except for the Koreans (make it one of Gary's and I'll give you hunts for a decade smiling smiley ). You can E-mail me at egra099@gmail.comA1.JPGA4.JPGA2.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 08:39PM by egra099.
September 13, 2011 01:23AM
Tempting but I'll keep my guns!
September 13, 2011 02:06AM
Jerry,

Did you get your mail? I was thinking of trading one of YOUR guns for MY credit of hunting ... whistling

grinning smiley

Sounds pretty good. But - I'd need top build a game room, and pay 20 grand to have everything stuffed! I'm still thinking though. ;?)

Gary
September 13, 2011 02:09PM
Gary I'd have thought that you had that taxidermy thing down long ago.Pipe smoker Didn't you mount that first sparrow that you shot with your blowgun? I'm sure you mean that you just don't have the time to tan all that hide.

This is an intriguing offer, hummm.

Kent
September 13, 2011 02:53PM
Hi Kent,

Yeah ... that is what I met. My fingers are all split with that tanning acid ... whistling

Hey - we could donate one of yours ... and both go hunting for five years! Another idea!

It is an intriguing offer. If I find that fountain of youth, I'm gonna take a sip. haha.

Gary
September 13, 2011 05:45PM
I've got a taxidermist that is pretty well on salary these days anyway. I imagine I could loan him too you long enough to get an animal or two done. As far as a place too put them, you seem to have too much free time on your hands anyway, a new game room would make a good project for all of those evenings and weekends you've been spending on the porch. Easier than that, I'm pretty sure I saw about two square feet of empty space in a couple of your shop pictures, with some creative positioning during taxidermy , I think we could make them fit there.
September 13, 2011 08:36PM
Excellent! I can see a nice Elk posed as if running the milling machine! Quite a conversation pc.

Now you are really working on me .... wow

Gary
September 14, 2011 04:11PM
Alright, this is my last hoorah. How about a 150+ class whitetail. Anyone? This would be on our other place (about thirty minutes from the ranch with exotics). I do one or two commercial hunts on this place a year, and they start at $3,500.00 and go up from there. Again, for the right gun I'm willing to do an even trade. This ranch is 1500 acres and you can have any mature deer on the place and pick your dates. Might be able to do a whitetail/exotic combo hunt too. It all depends on the gun etc. Season is October-January. The buck in the pictures is my personal deer from last year, 15 points and he scored 163 even. AT1.JPGAT2.JPGAT3.JPG
Re: Trade? Axis, Blackbuck and/or Hog hunt (EDIT: OR WHITETAIL) for your bigbore
September 18, 2011 12:37AM
Holy cow! Gary, have you ever seen stuff like that growing out of a deer's head.... no? Oh, never mind!

Egra,

I'm tempted to ask if those straps interfered with your hold. laughing

Seriously, that's a spectacular buck. I see it would be really hard to trade a gun for hunts because every Barnes gun has been unique so far and thus special. If I had a huge collection, I'd be very tempted and wondering about which of the treasures I might be able to part with...
Re: Trade? Axis, Blackbuck and/or Hog hunt (EDIT: OR WHITETAIL) for your bigbore
September 18, 2011 01:28AM
Yeah ... ya got Bear Feet and Deer Antlers there!

I'm impressed again. If THAT is what that young man got, then I can only imagine what the ADULTS get!! eye popping smiley

It's a darned tasty offer ... but getting to Texas doesn't come cheap, and it's nearly impossible for me to PLAN things. No - not because I'm scatterbrained ... but because I don't have the "screaming agony" weeks marked off on my calendar. Can you imagine booking a hunt like this, buying the plane ticket, and then being home in bed sucking my thumb and whimpering in agony cause the back decided to go from a 3 to an 11 on the pain scale that week?

Gary
September 18, 2011 02:50PM
Jerry,
Believe it or not my daughter was in the blind with me the evening I got that buck. With a recurve at 12 yards! I had first seen this buck in October and hunted him hard ( I went out every day, 31 days straight). To make a long story short, I had him within bow range several times but things just never came together. Fast forward to a couple of days after Thanksgiving and we had just gotten home from visiting family out of town. It was really too late to go out, but I decided to go and sit anyway and took the little one with me to get her out of my wives hair. We were sitting in a pop-up ground blind for literally less than ten minutes when I looked up and there he was at eight yards. It's a hunt I'll never forget till the day I die.
To tell you the truth, I never in my wildest dreams thought anyone would be willing to part with one of Gary's guns. I was holding out hope for the possibility of a Haley or something similar. I know one thing for sure; if I had a Barnes, I wouldn't be trading it for anything.

Gary,
I understand the chronic pain issues all to well. I have a condition called Loin Pain Hematuria Syndrome. To simplify the explanation, it started with a cluster of 20-30 Kidney Stones and progressed to the feeling of having large stones about 80% of the time due to damage to my ureters and kidneys. It's a hell of a thing to have a body that can't seem to keep up with your mind. I'm only in my early thirties and am very active etc., but on the bad days I'm lucky to make it to the kitchen for a meal.
I'm serious about this, if you ever get to a place where you feel that you could make it down here, I would love to have you. Nothing in return required. As I said to you earlier, I have been following your pages for at least a decade, and can't begin too tell you the entertainmen that it/you have provided. You are, in my estimation, one of the worlds great artists.
September 18, 2011 04:12PM
Hello, my friend.

Well, that is one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. I sincerely appreciate it. One old Pain in the Buttstock, to another ... I know what you are dealing with. One of the biggest complications is that you simply cannot plan for anything. I turned down a speaking engagement the other week. They were planning a year in advance. I can't even tell you if I'll be able to walk next year. Sure hope so. I went to the range a couple of days ago. Did nothing strenous, just vigorous activity for a few hours. I'm paying for it. Just ache all over - hips and legs shaky. It's embarrassing and frustrating.

I'd love to participate in a fine hunt sometimes. As I grew up, I had no opportunities to hunt. I began hunting as a young married man, when a buddy asked me to go. Had to learn the craft as quickly as possible, but am still way behind. I did watch a dumb hunting show this am. Elk hunting in Colorado, IIRC. Bow hunt. They kept getting within about 60 yards of huge bull elk ... but most of the camera shots were of the elk looking straight into the camera. The guy kept puffing his power puff wind tell stuff ... BUT ... both he AND THE GUIDE were standing there with their huge PINK FACES shining like the full moon. Over and over and over. Good Grief!!! He never got a shot for the entire hunt. But - of course - that didn't stop them from making the show about nothing. And then, there was gonna be a segment of him giving us TIPS! I turned it off. hahah.

Thanks for the offer. I'm very honored. And, I'll put it on my bucket list. ;?)

God Bless,
Gary
February 05, 2012 03:39PM
Humm, I might know someone willing to part with a .308 QB for a good hunt, as long as he can use his Barnes for the hunt.
March 09, 2012 06:44AM
That is one nice looking buck there!

I applaud your getting your girl involved in hunting at an early age, but that is gonna be hard to top as she gets older.

Congrats on the hunt. smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021