Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Barnes gun 24 March auction

Barnes gun 24 March auction
March 08, 2012 06:52PM
Hello,

saw interesting topic in forecoming auction. Said to be Cecil Whiteside's Collection.

Auction description says about gun I refer: GL Barnes Custom
Antique Reproduction ? , Excellent Condition, New Windsor MO USA, Hand made for tom Gaylord 1999

See: Bill Ramsey & Association LOT # 223 (Must add: lot 268 seems like Barnes gun also)

[www.bramsey.com]

(It was impossible to post straight link to a specific lot; I attached copied pictures of the gun)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 07:00PM by sepeteus.
Barnes gun.jpg
Barnes gun 2.jpg
Barnes gun 3.jpg
Barnes gun 4.jpg
March 09, 2012 12:50AM
Just be aware:

I feel obligated to note a few things regarding this gun.

I did make it for Gaylord. It was the first Bison. It's 45 caliber.

However: Gaylord browned it himself - while it was fully assembled - with the stocks in place. This lead to various things being compromised. The cocking lever became frozen, and the joints of metal to metal fits were filled with the acid.

Also, the stocks (which were bonded in place with a 200 degree release Epoxy) were loosened by the acid. When a stock later came off ... it became a really yuck, yuck for the hate Barnes crowd. One of the guys then decided I was too dumb to glue things correctly ... so he reportedly used a good old permenant bond glue to reset them. Now ... I'd used what I used so the wood COULD BE removed from the metal when needed, with simple 200 degree heat gun heat. Now ... who knows?

It was also a real cause for clowns when plans for this gun were offered on the net. That would indicate the gun had been disassembled and fooled with.

SO: I made the origonal gun. THIS is not the origonal gun any longer. Therefore: please do not buy it and expect me to warrenty it. I would rebuild it, in my time and at your expense. But don't go for any "excellent condition" clause if offered. I've rebuilt OTHER guns so disclosed.

Gary
March 12, 2012 10:51AM
There are several other of Gary's guns for sale at that auction, so it might be worth a look see.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021