Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deleted

Anonymous User
Deleted
June 08, 2010 02:43AM
Deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 03:38AM by Joe Hoover.
KP
Re: Forged Hunter
June 08, 2010 11:24PM
What makes the 5160 blade a quality blade? Does it hold an edge or can it be made very sharp? Thanks
Anonymous User
June 09, 2010 05:57AM
Hi KP,
Good question,glad you asked it. 5160 is a oil hardening carbon steel. It has excellent wear resistance, and in overall toughness. Properly heat treated and tempered it will take, and hold a very sharp edge. Many knives intended for hard use are made using 5160 steel for the qualities I've stated above. This blade was forged, normalized and annealed prior to finish. Then it was finished ground, heat treated, triple tempered to a tested 58-59 RC, and polished. The convex edge is razor sharp and will shave the stubble from your face if you can stand the pulling on a dry beard. The edge was flex tested using a brass rod and still would shave a slick spot on my arm with ease. It was tempered to hold a hair popping edge, but also so it could be resharpened when required by anyone knowing how to sharpen a knife. I made, shaped, and finished this blade 100% from premium materials.
Thanks for asking
Joe
KP
June 10, 2010 02:43AM
Thanks for the reply and the excellent information. I'm glad to see it sold. Hope you make another.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021