Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: .3xx groups

Woodsman 32
October 04, 2008 10:15PM
I'm going to start with groups I shot using the Barnes Woodsman with .32 insert. This is a .62 caliber smoothbore that has been outfitted with a .32 barrel and matching bolt. The gun can be converted in fairly short order. With the insert in place, depending on settings and slug weight it will shoot at 140-190 FPE. Without the insert it shoots a 545gr slug at around 450 FPE.

DSCN0414.JPG
The Woodsman is incredibly accurate and has shot a bunch of sub half MOA groups at 100 yards.

DSCN0415.JPG
This group was shot with the gun running pretty hot.

DSCN0433.JPG
A fine day at the range!

DSCN0430.JPG
Back when Surefire was working on coloring slugs to cut down on lead contact, add style and allow color coding of slugs; we needed to verify that the color did not hurt accuracy. This group was the test group for the Barnes Bishop slug. The color passed the test!

DSCN0431.JPG
We were checking accuracy and also for barrel fouling. In the group above, I can tell you that the shot to the left was not a flyer, I pulled it and felt it immediately. The shot on the right side of the group might actually have been a bit of a flyer! The color did not foul the barrel and is now a regular Surefire option and standard on .45 Raptors.

DSCN0432.JPG
This was a slug test. The Woodsman shoots just about any slug great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 06:30PM by Jerry.
Re: .3xx groups
October 05, 2008 01:26AM
Excellent postings Jerry. Thanks.

Hey, I wanted to mention. We nearly always have multiple things we are checking when we hit the range. New scope, new slug, new tune on an existing rifle. Three people shooting at backers. The targets get over-used. Ya start thinking ... hey ... there's a clean section down there on the left. You should call a cold line, and walk out 100 yards to replace a few new target faces, but; the other guys are shooting. You decide to just shoot a group at a used target.

And, that will often be the time we print a really nice group .. on a used ... or patched target. eye rolling smiley It would be really fine to shoot at an absolutely clean target for each group ... but that's just a bit more calling a cold line, and a bit more walking the 100 yards (or 50 yards) then we've been doing. So, all of the groups are marked accurately. I just comment because there's often other marks in the camera frame. Hey ... whattaya gonnado. smiling smiley

They're fun to review. Great fun to get out and print in the field.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021