Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A quick session with the Sammy 909s

A quick session with the Sammy 909s
April 04, 2009 07:19AM
This afternoon I snatched 15 minutes between chores to shoot the 909s on my 50 yard range. I tethered it to a SCUBA tank, with around 3000 psi in it (no access to 4500 psi over here at present, dammit!) and shot a 3 shot 1.6 " group first up with some funny gold slugs. Then I tried another brand that I thought looked exciting, but they "grouped" at 2.6". so I returned to the funny gold slugs and halved my previous score:

OK, you guessed it, it's the Barnes Raptor cast by that Jerry fella and his familycool smiley
I'm starting to enjoy the 909s. It is shooting the Raptors at around 720 fps delivering 245 fpe. This gun has been conservatively modded, and outshines my twin-tube 909 which sends the Raptors down-range at around 600 fps (I've just sent the twin-tube off for some work, so watch this space.....).
I know I can shoot a better group than .8" at 50 yards, just need to get better at shooting big bores!!shooter
Cheers
Neil
Re: A quick session with the Sammy 909s
April 04, 2009 03:46PM
Excellent! Looks like the funny gold slugs are OK. That's a good group there. Now if you had a special shooting bench you could probably tighten that up even more! whistling
April 04, 2009 04:50PM
Good job Neil,

Those ARE funny looking slugs!

Wow ... you live in a beautiful place and shoot slugs made of gold. Whattaguy!

thumbs up

Gary
April 05, 2009 06:59AM
Thanks guys, and yes Jerry, a Barnes-designed-Boyenga -manufactured bench would probably help. My factory in China is busy fabricating one million of these as we speaklaughing again

Maybe I shouldn't have said "funny" about these slugs. Unusual looking maybe, but nothing funny about their accuracy and certainly nothing funny if you were a beasty on the receiving end of one of these. At last count, two goats and one ram would agree I think!fudd

And Gary, just cos you think I live in a beautiful place, I snuck outside tonight and took these pics of the hills at back of me during sunset....hehehehe

This, and gold slugs....smoking smiley
April 05, 2009 02:54PM
You da MAN Neil! thumbs up

take a bow

Gary
April 07, 2009 09:52PM
neilmcp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I snuck outside tonight and took these pics
> of the hills at back of me during
> sunset
>

Looks just like the mountains of montana, when they're on fire....... which should be starting soon......hot smiley
April 05, 2009 11:22PM
Nice shooting. I dig those pics too! thumbs up

-- Jim
April 06, 2009 08:20AM
Cheers Jim. I want to see those Raptor holes all touching, or even better, all in one!eye popping smiley
I have some work to do!
Regards
Neil
April 24, 2009 04:14PM
Hey Neil,

do you remember were those sam yangs equally powerful in the beginning? I mean, are/were twin tube and single tube both as powerful, or is/was one of those more powerful in original set up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 04:14PM by sepeteus.
April 26, 2009 07:52AM
Hi Sepeteus
The 909s stock standard was about 10% more powerful than my twin-tube. I'll need to dig up some figures if you need more info.
Regards
Neil
April 27, 2009 06:46PM
OK, THanks. That's enough to know...

I was actually thinking that single tube 909 might be more powerful than twin tube because S has probably larger tube diameter of the reservoir and thus more room for firing valve, hammer etc...

I'm not sure, but I suppose that the reservoir tube is slightly larger... Well, it could be something else too, of course. Does 909S, in fact, have larger tube diameter than 909 twin tube (its upper tube)?

The power increasement could be from modified valve system. I was told that they have modified the firing valve in newer guns. But if S has slightly larger tube, it is easier to put heftier mechanics in it.
April 29, 2009 09:06AM
Hello Sepeteus
Yes, the tube is bigger and tuners seem to agree that the 909s is easier to mod than the twin-tube.
Regards
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021