Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First 100yd airgun shooting

Anonymous User
First 100yd airgun shooting
December 19, 2008 11:43PM
Well, actually 2nd but first after installing a 24" .25 cal barrel on the TalonSS. 31gr kodiacs at 950fps. Back in the spring, when weather was nicer.

This bell was kind of a joke. A friend and I had a couple at 30-50 yds for offhand only plinking targets. We were getting pretty good with them and started talking about targets for longer distance. The idea of a paint spray can hung from a tree at 100yds was acted upon and we started walking it to its position. On the way we pulled down one of the close bells and decided to "humor it" at long range. goes to show how well the .25s carry energy (shocked the heck out of both of us when the first hit went in one side and out the other.

The bell prompted a few targets to be shot to see what it would do on paper (at what I then considered a silly range to shoot an airgun at).

Room for improvement but not too shabby.

The single shot in the black above the quarter was already threre from some earlier "ranging" shots trying to figure out holdover, and not part of the 5shot group. had a bit of wind blowing but it was consistent and not too strong. Cant wait for some nice spring days to see how much better it can do.

Here's the gun responsible for infecting me with my current and I beleive uncurable state of addiction; I started 3 yrs ago with a nice innocent talonSS and AF hand pump. She has turned in to a family of 4, two other SS guns and a Condor; plus a couple others adoptees; a compressor and CF bottles to keep them fed; and half a machine shop to keep them running smoothly.grinning smiley

Re: First 100yd airgun shooting
December 20, 2008 12:02AM
Hello Sharpshooter ... Welcome.

Fine shooting. Yeah ... it is surprising how these things will carry energy to distance! The bell looks very "artsy" that way.

Great Post .... Thanks,

Gary coffee
December 20, 2008 12:23AM
Very nice shooting! I like the custom work on that AF gun. Did you make the grips yourself?

Oh, that bell does look a little like an art project...
Anonymous User
December 20, 2008 01:30AM
Grips are in fact made by me. Donated from the stump/butt of a hardwood tree felled in my own back yard. There has been a few changes since that pic (when do they ever stay the same for very long). One day I'll share some up to date stuff.

I remember me and my buddy looking at eachother as we hung that bell at 100yd and looking at eachother like we were silly to even attempt it. Never ceases to amaze me what our little "bb guns" are capable of. And always inspires me to push a little more.
December 20, 2008 01:35AM
Kodiaks did that @ 100 yards? Yikes! I've got a .25 Kodiak sitting right here next to my monitor . . . very cool that you got them going that fast.

Welcome to Rendezvous. welcome

-- Jim
Anonymous User
December 20, 2008 01:45AM
Jim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kodiaks did that @ 100 yards? Yikes! I've got a
> .25 Kodiak sitting right here next to my monitor .
> . . very cool that you got them going that fast.
>
> Welcome to Rendezvous. welcome
>
> -- Jim

Just to be clear..........that's Kodiac the 31gr pellet, NOT Kodiac the Spring Rifle. eye rolling smiley

Surprised us too. Very flat shooting (relatively). Previously I had a .22 cal setup on the gun with 21 gr kodiacs at the same 950fps average. Switching up to the .25, keeping velocity the same and my 50 yd zero, I found I suddenly had almost 6" less drop at 100yds that when shooting the .22.

thanks for the welcome.
December 20, 2008 01:48AM
Nope, I'm with you . . . I meant the pellet. I have a little "collection" of pellets and slugs from .177 thru .87 right next to my monitor here, so when I read your post, I looked over at the .25 Kodiak pellet and said, "wow!"

-- Jim
Anonymous User
December 20, 2008 02:10AM
largest airgun projectile i've shot so far:

.356 dia 124gr TC cast by me with a lee precision mould. It is their "tumble-lube" design and seems to do well in the Condor.

left to right: .177 WC, .25 Kodiac, 9mm 124gr TC (unfired and fired)

December 20, 2008 02:41AM
Yup, you're hooked. It all starts out so innocent and then someone says that .22 is "better" or .25 is "better." Next thing you know you're hooked on 9mm and lusting for .45. If you're not careful you'll be mainlining .50's before you know it! more confused
Anonymous User
December 20, 2008 04:14AM
I actually find myself somewhere inbetween at the moment. I think the .32 is going to be a darling of an airgun caliber.

Have a Track of the Wolf barrel "liner" here which in the near future will find its way into one of the TalonSS frames with a custom valve.

Thinking High BC, medium bore, subsonic really has some good long range potential.
December 20, 2008 05:12PM
Yup. The .32 is a solid performer for sure. I've got a couple I'm happy with! shooter with bench rifle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021