Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3/4"-51 yrd HALEY Group

3/4"-51 yrd HALEY Group
March 30, 2009 05:01AM
I will make this one short.

got the jack haley .32 pcp to shoot a good group. between the weather and just flat out tuning and retuning...i got the haley to shoot a good group.

here is a 3 shot - 51 yrd - .750" or 3/4" group, from the haley.

the gun:

the group:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 05:02AM by Tofazfou.
Re: 3/4"-51 yrd HALEY Group
March 30, 2009 04:17PM
Very nice. Good shooting.

Whatever you did, worked well. That's a fine group for anything, but excellent for round ball.

Gary
March 30, 2009 04:23PM
That's real fine Ced. Was that off of one fill?
March 30, 2009 07:14PM
Fine looking gun and fine looking group!thumbs up
Regards
Neil
March 31, 2009 01:00AM
thanx guys.

jerry...yes that was off one fill. i really wanted to do 5 shots but i was so happy with these results that i stopped at 3 shots. the weird thing about the haley is that he somehow has the valve system working really well on only 2500 psi. i drilled out the hammer to accept a bigger spring and i also added 145 grains of lead weight to the hammer. the gun climbs up and up in fps now so it has an awesome bell curve. and it still has power down to 1500 psi and lower. the bell curve is weird but its wonderfull. the group shrank down by about 3/8" roughly. after these three shots, i then made the appropriate adjustment to center the gun and i ripped two shots right into the center of the bullseye and i proudly said, thats it, she's sighted in now. a 3rd shot into the bottom of a can just solidified my adjustment.

neilmcp, thanks man.

garyb, if its not to much of an inconvinience, can you explain your theory on valves? like the importance of the relationship between hammer, hammerspring, valve stem spring, port sizes.....etc...etc..etc.. if you don't mind.
March 31, 2009 02:04PM
Hi Cedric,

Glad you are having fun and getting good results.

That list is about a third of the things that effect PCP design. Huge, huge topic there. Far too complex for a few "rule of thumb" tips.

Sounds like you have gotten your gun to shoot well. Congratulations. thumbs up

Gary
theory of valves
September 03, 2009 07:23PM
How about the "concise theory of valves" as such: "Once you custom machine a couple hundred complete different valves, you've got enough data to start thinking about a theory"grinning smiley
November 10, 2009 10:08PM
pah ... i say ,,,, pah
why ask gary his rule of thumb on valves ,,,, it will be hand whittled from a lump of titanium with a small spoon , polished with wallnut chippings , assembled with bee fat as a lube , and tweaked with a camels feather till its perfect ,,,, and delivers one finely tuned perfect shot , as per the design brief
then in a shed hell change it all with a blunt screwdriver and half a brick ,,, till you get two shots instead , cos someone thought it would be handy
thats either tallent , or just dont play cards with him
lol more innocent
November 10, 2009 11:20PM
Those Camel's feathers are extremely rare mind you!

wink

take a bow
November 12, 2009 01:15AM
LOL
November 12, 2009 11:02PM
I wouldn't ask Gary to do anything he's not capable of. So far he's never disappointed. I bet by now he considers me the "MOTHER" of his invention.more innocent Actually the only hard part for him is I ask him to do it when he's limited to a using totally inadequate feathers found in the bottom of my tool box! But, you see, this is exactly how Gary started, sharpening scrap steel on a river rock to make a blade as a mere lad. That's a true story!

Kent
November 12, 2009 11:15PM
That's a great group!! Have you found a slug that the gun likes as well as the RB? Gary has made some great 32 cal barrels that like the #3 buckshot as shown with the Victory class guns. The ball is true .32 in and likes a .316 sized slug. I tried some pistol bullets by Hornady that were .314 and just too undersized for the gun. I wonder if these could be sized for your gun and do you some good. They are 90 grn and came in a round nose and a hollow based wad cutter that would make a heck of a hollow point if shot backwards.

I will admit thou dispite having significantly better groups with the slugs, you can't beat just dropping a round ball into the trough and smacking the steel. No fiddling with aligning slugs, and dirt cheap!

Nice shooting,

Kent
November 13, 2009 12:33AM
surprised What??? WE make a 90 ish gr slug! Hornady shmornady! rolling happy smiley Not really, I'm really hurt and just plain devastated, nobody say anything....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021