Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Recurve

Anonymous User
Recurve
August 03, 2009 03:30AM
Picture of a knife I finished for a customer, I was pleased with the way it turned out.

August 03, 2009 05:41PM
Very pretty, nice work there. Your grind lines look pretty even and it has a nice line and symmetry.

It's hard to get a good tight focus on highly reflective items with most digital cameras, isn't it? They want to focus on the background since it's easier for the image focus sensor to distinguish. If your camera doesn't have a manual focus system, you might try "locking-in" the focus on the background with a half-depressed shutter button and then moving the camera back by 1/2 inch or so prior to taking the shot, sometimes that works.
August 03, 2009 11:28PM
Agreed. Lock your focus on the edge of the handle over the cloth background, then recompose and shoot. Or, even better, use a DSLR with a manual focus lens. idea

-- Jim
August 04, 2009 01:57AM
Ah .... Guys .... whistling

I think Joe was actually showing his nice knife there ... laughing again

Nice job Joe. Looks real nice.

And ... this is what happens when you show your work to a bunch of techno-geeks ... haha

Gary
August 04, 2009 04:32PM
Tekno-geeks? oooo the truths hurts

Beautiful knife. Clean, simple, elegant.
Anonymous User
August 04, 2009 02:18AM
Thanks guys, I will try that, it is hard to to get good clear pictures. I do the half shutter but have not back the camera up slightly.

Gary thanks for the compliment it means a lot coming from you. Those guys can't help it, no more than we can help stopping to look at a new powertool or lathe, hehehehe.
August 06, 2009 04:43AM
Lordy Lordy...thats a beautiful knife.
August 22, 2009 06:34PM
Yeah, I guess we did the "nerd overkill" thing a bit there...sorry about that. Seeing as the closest thing I've ever done to the hand-made knife arena was a cocobolo letter opener, I guess I'll just say "nice work there" and mean it!
September 18, 2009 07:02PM
hi , really nice shape , nice looking knife , just to show my ignorance , whats the handle made from , and the rivets. look well together , but i cant see what its actually made from.
thanks tom
Anonymous User
September 20, 2009 07:00PM
Hi Dyson, thankyou.

The bolsters are brass and are pinned with two 1/8 brass pins. The handle material is dyed stabilized Box Elder Burl wood. The rivets used are brass Corby rivets or bolts, they have 5/16 heads. Actually they are two piece, male and female, shaped similar to a screw or round headed bolt. They hold scales very securely, the thong hole is 1/4 inch brass. You are correct, I could have only used one corby rivet and the thong tube to secure the scales especially since the bolsters are dovetailed, but someone would have asked how come there is one rivet holding the scales. So I just make an estimated guess on which will be the worse of two evils and go for it, hehehe.
November 10, 2009 09:59PM
thaks for the info , it looks stunning , in the pic the scales almost look like some kind of stone . fantastic work ,
November 12, 2009 11:26PM
Joe, you're doing some fine work with the knives. take a bow Is it's nice to see hand craftsmanship. Can you picture the piece before it's finished, or does the beauty jump out at the end?

Thanks for sharing your work.
Kent
Anonymous User
December 08, 2009 04:09AM
Thanks Kent, I'm learning and honing my skills as Gary likes to say. Actually I try to envision all my work as finished before I ever start it. The biggest problem I have found is that not everyone likes what I like, so I have started to think outside that box. Sometimes it works out well other times not so well. Thanks for the encouragment, I appreciate it.
Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021