Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Front view video of 3 .32 shots into ballistic gel (Stills added)

Front view video of 3 .32 shots into ballistic gel (Stills added)
March 17, 2009 08:50PM
I think we had about 5 minutes with enough light to make a video today. We supplemented the bright overcast light with a spot light.

We shot the gel with the Prairie III each time but used 3 different slugs. The gun was on a regulator at the same pressure for all the shots.

This shot used the "Can" slug which has a flat face and very large meplat. I'd estimate the energy at about 120 FPE based on the pressure.
CANHOL~1.png
That was about .001sec after impact.

This shot was with the "Rook" This slug has a conical nose and weighs a little less than the Can so it was probably about 110 FPE.
ROOKIM~1.jpg
Rook at impact. The Rook was a blue coated slug which is why it is more visible.
RIMPPL~1.jpg
Rook T plus .001
ROOKIM~2.jpg
Rook T plus .002
ROOKIM~3.jpg
Rook T plus .003
ROOKIM~4.jpg
Rook T plus .004
ROOKIM~6.jpg
Rook T plus .006

This was with the "Falcon" a lighter, higher drag design with a stepped face. About 90 FPE here.
FALCON~1.jpg
Falcon at impact.
FIMPAC~1.jpg
Falcon T plus .001
FIMPAC~2.jpg
Falcon T plus .002
FIMPAC~3.jpg
Falcon T plus .003

slugs.jpg
This picture shows the second and third blocks from right to left. The Falcon penetrated a total of 11", the Rook 16" and the Can 18". All of these shots were taken from 42 yards back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 01:55AM by Jerry.
Re: Front view video of 3 .32 shots into ballistic gel
March 17, 2009 11:00PM
Very neat Jerry. Well done.

Hey, with the footage in the can ... does your program allow you to isolate stills from the video stream? If nothing more, I've used the stone age method of taking a pic of the computer screen. Usually has lines in it, but if I take a few - I get one usable. Right, a decent movie program should allow you to take a screen shot of the still video. I'll bet you have some winners in there.

Gary
Re: Front view video of 3 .32 shots into ballistic gel
March 18, 2009 12:25AM
The program does indeed allow frame capture and it will export a .jpg picture if I do it right. I posted one on another thread actually. I'm going to try it now as I'm done with dinner.
March 18, 2009 02:03AM
Well THAT's tedious. Quicktime will export a jpeg but it refuses to properly name it. The stills come out with a ".pct" on the end no matter what I tried. Trying to just rename the files didn't work either. idea Opening with the Apple picture viewer allowed an export into a properly named file though so all is well. nerd
March 18, 2009 03:07AM
Always "fun?" to learn a new twist. So ... I missed something .... where's this pic?

Gary
March 18, 2009 03:16AM
Scroll up. thumbs up
March 18, 2009 01:21PM
Superior!!! Great Job.

Wow ... now THAT shows some hydroshock at work.

What a gaping maw. Thanks for taking the time to isolate them out.

Gary
March 18, 2009 04:06PM
Easy there big fella! surrender laughing again We'll get to the high power shots and even the Woodsman slug shots in due time. I have to re-melt and re-cast this stuff before the HP shots though. And besides, if I'd started with the HP shots, who would want to see anymore? smoking smiley
March 18, 2009 05:10PM
Oh ... I HATE it when they do that!!! eye rolling smiley

String you along with some tease story .... thru the WHOLE newscast .... OHHHwwwwLLLLLL!!!

winking smiley
March 23, 2009 12:02AM
The stills are great too! Love to see the frozen action at the different stages of the cycle. Thanks.

Gary

That one of the can @ strike + .001 sec. is awesome.
March 18, 2009 03:41AM
really sweet video jerry. i too recently discovered that windows movie maker also captures frame by frame photo capturing.

very nice stills and video. i love watchng those slow mo videos.
March 18, 2009 04:01AM
Thanks Ced. I really wish the player Photobucket uses had the ability to go frame by frame like Quicktime. Here I can just use the arrow keys to run the "film" back and forth as fast or slow as I want. I end up noticing a lot of stuff that way. Rapid fire clicking on the Play/Pause button just doesn't work as well!

I hope I have some slugs left. I think I can get one more .62 shot on those blocks before I re-melt and cast them.
March 18, 2009 09:53AM
Brilliant video Jerry take a bow
That Gel really does catch those bad boys!! Did you get any total penetration?
I wonder if a smaller, faster pellet would get through?

Being in 'Farmers Land' here, I could get hold of a few fresh animal parts.......sick

If I'm feeling grusome enough I might get hold of a sheep/pig head and see what happens..!!

Would be interesting to see what a Surefire Slug does to it.

Will this be a test too far???!!!!
March 18, 2009 11:14AM
Hi Paul,
The total penetration for the slugs is listed in the last sentence of the post. I'm certain I won't be shooting any heads from the farmer's market! sick Maybe heads attached to wild hogs but not ones I drag home. I prefer my tests to have a bit less clean up involved. laughing again

All of the shots above were taken with the Prairie set to low power. There is opportunity to add a couple hundred FPS to see how much more penetration is achieved.
March 18, 2009 01:10PM
Yeah, well ... all this testing with the Prairie III on LOW POWER might be nice for "girlie men" .... whistling .... but we're wondering when we're gonna see what it does at 280 fpe. Slice those blocks down the middle long ways, and stack them end to end on a table. See if you can get 36" of slug penetration. eye popping smiley

Don't MAKE me come down there!!! grinning smiley

Gary
March 23, 2009 11:10PM
good works Jerry.
March 23, 2009 11:36PM
Thank you!
March 31, 2009 01:08AM
jerry,

you and the gel are just too cool. love it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021