Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Semi high speed video

Semi high speed video
December 19, 2008 12:00AM
I bought a Casio camera that can take video at up to 1000 frames per second. I thought it would be fun to film some airgun shots. So far the weather has not cooperated but I do have a couple videos from last month. These two were shot at 420 fps.

That's a tangerine 40 yards from the muzzle. The camera was hand held just above the scope.

This one is an apple taking the hit. For this shot the camera was well below the gun barrel so the slug appears to be coming down from very high.

For both the videos we had a powerful spot light shining downrange to illuminate the slug base. It was late in the afternoon and we really need more light. On top of being dark to start with, the video appears darker after posting to photobucket. Oh well, we'll just have to make more.
December 19, 2008 12:22AM
Fun.

The Apple one looks like a cruise missle coming in.

The Tangerine video is neat because the slug is visible longer.

Gary
December 19, 2008 11:23AM
Wow, that was great!!

More of the same please thumbs up
December 19, 2008 01:47PM
Jerry,

We'll take all of those ya got!shooter
December 19, 2008 02:26PM
I know! I've got a bunch of ideas and others have sent in some ideas which will all be cool experiments at the least but its Winter. I hate Winter. What do we have, about 30 seconds of effective daylight per day? For over a month I've been unable to combine not being at work with actual sunshine, the ability to set up a target for "filming" and the presence of helpers. I can shoot when I get home but its just too dark for video. Hopefully we'll see some sunshine here soon.
December 19, 2008 05:49PM
Jerry,

When you come up next, we'll have to set up one of those sets of panels to shoot, and film the slug trail and debris thru 10 or more panels. Should be neat.

We need a nice bunker near the target too. haha. idea

Gary
December 19, 2008 06:14PM
Good one Gary. We need to see one of the "critters" getting hit too. I'm sure we're going to get lots of ideas once we get the first couple clips up!

I like the idea we got regarding using a lexan panel as a protective shield, or bunker window!

For the clips of the slug going away from the gun the 420 fps setting works pretty well and gives decent resolution. Given that 1000fps only produces a very small picture that is pretty grainy I hope nobody is expecting video like you see on TV. scared

1000fps won't get us clear stop action views of the slug but we should still see some really neat reactions from the target.
December 19, 2008 06:30PM
Couple clarifications. May be clear ... but the fps here means "Frames Per Second". Some might wonder why we would talk of shooting 420 feet per second. more confused

Second. We don't currently HAVE a bunker. Let's check E-Bay Jerry .... heheh

And, yeah ... the 10,000 frames per second video camera is about $79,500 more. eye popping smiley

But ... we'll get some good stuff ... you bet.

Gary
December 19, 2008 10:52PM
EBay, Bunkers R Us, Ready Shelters, there has got to be a good place to get a video bunker at a reasonable price!
Anonymous User
December 19, 2008 11:02PM
Jerry,

Check out the scuba sites for waterproof camera housings. Might fill the bill quite nicely.
December 19, 2008 03:22PM
Oh yea!

More of those!

The high speed stuff, beside being way cool, shows detail that happens too fast to see normally. What a great tool.

Need to see some of the targets being hit by those big slugs....
January 02, 2009 05:40AM
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021