Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Big funded projects .....

Big funded projects .....
January 04, 2011 07:58PM
Interesting post made regarding new weapons systems. Interesting to see the stuff.

But ... every time I hear the news ... I hope they have as well a funded program working on the issue of IEDs (or roadside bombs). I sincerely hope so. And continue praying for our troops.

Gary
January 04, 2011 10:13PM
The anti-IED programs are very well funded. By "programs" I mean the multiple dedicated Anti-IED programs and also the host of existing systems that are being modified or researched for enhancements and/or tactics to support this mission.

The amount of dollars spent is hard to determine but I would wager a fair sum that it dwarfs the yearly investment in the rail gun.

What would these programs be? They cover a huge range of devices and most of the services and several agencies.

The Airforce just announced a new drone with wide angle "staring" capability, that will let us watch all the roads in a town constantly without interuption. That's a huge improvement over single camera systems that need to be trained on one spot at a time based on what might be faulty intelligence.

Chemical detectors: We've had Nuclear, Chemical, Biological detection programs since the 40's but now that technology is focused on chemicals and elements that go into simple IEDs.

Vehicles that are more survivable have been and continue to be fielded.

Electronic signals devices that detect, jam and locate signals used to detonate IEDs are in the mix.

Smaller precision weapons that can be used against emplacement teams or assembly points, without causing inordinate collateral damage have and are being developed.

Communications systems that allow all the weapons on the ground or in the air to reduce the time for the "kill chain" are constantly being updated.

Systems that can recognize and track "bad actors" are being developed.

There's more I'm sure. Of course the MSM is only interested in reporting on the hugely successful programs or the devastating failures. The dozens of incremental improvements to a host of capabilities go unreported and mostly unknown to most news organizations and thus the majority of the public.

Our news organizations are just pitiful! I'll bet most of the guys on the "Pentagon beat" have never served. I often see pictures of aircraft that have been around for decades mislabled. Offend a gay guy and the MSM is all over it with a bunch of gay guys that wouldn't know a GAU-17 from a fork... Develop a capability that keeps troops just a bit safer and you won't hear a peep. Try to develop a new technology (as in invention on a schedule) and fail, and these dips are all over it...
January 20, 2011 02:07PM
Caught a program on TLC about NASA preparing for a Mars trip. Trying to create food that will last 5 years. New space vehicles, engines, so much stuff to try to visit another planet which really will be useless long term. $$$$$$ Billions $$$$$$$.

Its no wonder we have still have homeless, poverty in Canada, and USA.
January 20, 2011 11:18PM
The technology developed by these big space programs has enriched us all. Far more than just spending the money on simple handouts like some are always promoting...
January 22, 2011 01:56PM
Which of Gary's air rifles would be the first/best one on Mars ?

Joe
January 23, 2011 12:51AM
I anticipate NASA preparing for Mars but only after completing the "boost a Muslum's self-esteem tour".

I agree that we have had significant advances from the space program, especially in medicine. I mean who would have thought that one day a non-stop trip from Texas to Florida would be possible... in a single adult diaper?

Thanks Jerry for the update on the continuing effort to bring our men and women home safe.

Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021