Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Jim - Jerry - Cedric - Kent ... help

Jim - Jerry - Cedric - Kent ... help
February 09, 2011 05:47PM
OK ... I know it will be a good laugh ... but what am I doing different in Windows Movie Maker?

I wanted to post a movie clip for Kent, When my card is downloaded, the short movie clips are ALWAYS put into my picture files, with the still files. I call up the picture files, and there they are. I can play them there, if I wish. I've loaded them a hundred times, right from there.

Well, now, I prompt Movie Maker to get video files. I call up the Picture file they are in ... and they don't even show up there. So, you can't choose them. When I go to the video file, there's just some odds and ends that Movie maker put there before. The clips have NEVER been anywhere other than where they are now. So, you can tell me how to move them to somewhere else, if you wish ... but I know that I've never had to before.

WHAT am I doing wrong. I feel this might be the day when digital kills me. self-hammer

GAry
February 09, 2011 06:07PM
When you promt Movie Maker to open a file and then direct it to the picture file where the movie clips are stored...is there a "file type" window shown? It could be that you're not seeing the files because the "open file" window has filtered them from view. Try and see if there is a "all files" selection.

If the above is not the case, try going to the picture file directly, right click the movie clip and select "open with" and then choose Movie Maker.
February 09, 2011 06:39PM
Hello Jerry,

Thanks very much. I sincerely appreciate it.

I will try the "open with" suggestion. I have tried the "all files" thingie. It came up and listed a hundred different suffixes ... and the movie clips were still absent. Never been this way before.

That's the stuff that's pushing me over the edge today. The stuff that's different every time you go to it. Like someone has been hiding your stuff.

Let me try.

Thanks again,
Gary
February 09, 2011 07:20PM
Jerry,

Here's the deal. The Nikon is making it's clips as Quicktime movies ... a .MOV suffix. Well, that is NOT one of the hundred suffixes listed under the pull downs. So; I find one that says All files "." or something. Like the other ALL FILES isn't enough. And, now it shows me the movie clips. But then says they cannot be imported.

There is nothing I can find, in the Nikon's movie mode menu ... that shows options as to what format to take movies in. And, I certainly have not changed it from the last time I took some movie clips.

So ... Windows Movie Maker is specifically set up to NOT accept any clips with a .MOV suffix? Are they kidding?

And, what's different from the last time. No wonder nobody does this stuff. It's absolutely maddening.

Gary
February 09, 2011 08:34PM
I'm understanding you to say that Windows Movie Maker used to import and edit the Quicktime .MOV files from the Nikon, is that correct?

If the above is correct and now WMM does not import the files when explicitly directed to, that's more than a file handling problem...I think. I was thinking that an update to Quicktime might have changed the default program for those movie clips and we would get back to the page where you change the default back to WMM as that's your prefered editor.
February 09, 2011 08:55PM
Let me think about that. '

Hummmm .... JIM!!!!! He was here and he updated some of the crap that had been piling up as "gotta update now" ... that I ignore (in my endless fight for the computer to simply allow me to WORK). It's got something that it wants me to do every few minutes.

So - now ... would that be in the WMM preferences?

Yeah ... I went to the .MOV clip ... and right clicked it. Open with .... brought up a couple of choices .... none WMM ... and when I tried one of them ..... it said it could not use that type of file.

Something has screwed up what was. why me

Don't read this part Jim ...

You know ... this day has been a total write off. In the midst of the fun .... Kelly decided to clip the dog's nails. Nipped one too deep. Jim should have been here. It looked like a Civil War operating theater .... Even super glue didn't want to stop it. Evidently, the heart's main pipe out, goes thru that claw.

Jim ... I TOLD you not to read it! not lookin' good

Gary
February 09, 2011 09:04PM
Latest.

Using the ..... All Files "." category .... it will show me my clips in the file they are in. When I choose one to import ... it simply tells me that they cannot be imported.

Very odd. Under the other categories ... it lists a staggering number of suffixes for files. I don't see .MOV which is very common. The linear list does run off the screen right .... and therer's no way I can move it to view the rest.

I've been carrying this camera for a long time now. I simply know that I have to have imported clips before. Can't find any preferences.

Gary
February 10, 2011 01:14PM
I'm sorry Gary, I can't be of much help. surrender I've gone MAC. The IMovie editor has an export to YouTube that I use. The above issue is just one of the reasons. brick wall

Kent
February 10, 2011 03:21PM
Thanks Kent,

Yes ... I started with Mac. Just went PC because everything MAC costs about six times what PC does. I got tired of having two parts of the 10 part puzzle.

I never did edit the movie. I just uploaded the whole stinkin' thing to Photobucket. I was gonna edit together several clips. I can't imagine that I've never imported any video from this Nikon. Also can't imagine that the Nikon ONLY shoots movies in a MAC format? That's crazy. Clearly, there's something I'm not met to know. Above my pay grade.

Gary
February 13, 2011 04:37PM
If im not mistaken, i think you have to convert your MOV files to something that WMM accepts. Its been a while. but u can download a file conversion program for free off the net. Thats what i had to do.

Thats one of the things that ticked me off about a few camera manuf....some of them use programs that aren't compatible with WINDOWS. I mean come on, Microsoft is too common. I've pulled what little hair i have OFF trying to figure out why i could not either play movies or edit movies.

Sorry for the rant guys...lol
February 15, 2011 01:14AM
Cedric,

Had the camera so screwed up ... THIS was the result: You'd look at the viewfinder ... and the image would be clear. You'd push the shutter button halfway down .... and it would blurrrr ... totally. Did it a hundred times ... though I'd go thru every menu on the thing.

Then, I managed to get it so the ZOOM would be off ... totally. And ... thru seveal menus and check list ... I could find nothing to bring it back. Only thing I could find was reference to turning on or off the DIGITAL zoom.

Finally, only thing I could do was restore the thing to it's defaults. That cured the focus and zoom problem. We'll see.

Anyway ... I bought it for high speed video. It does that.

Gary
February 15, 2011 03:59AM
Sorry to hear of the issues GB. Guess they just cant seem to get the LITTLE things right. Everybody nowadays is so busy trying to bring folks the LATEST AND GREATEST, but they cant even get the simple things right.

Have u CLEANED your lense. Thats a big deal for sure. Maybe your camera is focusing on a smudge on its lense. MAYBE. I clean mine religiously.
February 15, 2011 02:49PM
I looked ... just that grasshopper sitting there. Shouldn't be a problem. More coffee

After I reset the default ... it worked. By then, all the hawks in the area had died of old age ...

Makes me wonder though. If "I" were writing code for a CAMERA. I think I'd put "ZOOM" or "TELEPHOTO" on the main menu. Definitely would not hide the method of restoring same. But ... that's just me.

I'm sure it's there .. plain as day ... to any fifth generation cult warrior grand master. But, I'm just simple folk. Green bowing

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021