Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: My old bench

My old bench
November 25, 2015 05:44PM
Gary's post on jewelry making made me think of this bench i purchased on the bay 15 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2016 08:26PM by watchman.
November 25, 2015 10:04PM
It's always nice seeing the tools of the trade . I really don't see magnification devise but the ole light base looks kinda neet .
My dad used to tinker with old clocks and a few watches here and there . When he died being the only son , I recieved among other things 4-5 Breitling stop watches in stages of repair . I did get one to work but all it needed was the hand put back on . You have to respect the makers of those little machines that fit in your pocket .
Thanks and love the bench/ desk

Thanks
Kurt
November 25, 2015 10:49PM
Hi Kurt, All the stuff pictures with the exeption of the movement vice is used to solder and repair jewelry. My watchmakers bench is cleaner and newer. Have to be ultra clean when working on fine watches. Do you still have the Breitlings? Would love to see em. Maybe you can ship them to me to see what i can do.
Steve
November 28, 2015 09:41AM
Steve
Yes I do still have the stop watches and a shoe box full of old watches . The time piece and jewlery repair must go hand in hand . I'll dig some of the stuff out and snap a photo . Some of the old , lady watches are pretty ornate AND small too .
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
November 28, 2015 01:04PM
Oh, i love old watch accumulations. Yes,do post a photo. Actually, jewelry repair is a dirty job compared to watch repair. All the soldering ,filing and polishing. One little microscopic metal shaving will stop a gear train so they really should be in seperate rooms.
Steve
November 30, 2015 08:30PM
Ok Steve
I dug them out and snapped a pic or two . Only one is really1/2 dismantled in a bag of the stopwatches . Two of the old watches I took in to have cleaned and gave to my son . I think they were seiko's. The guy at the watch store said they were collectable but he didn't know how to set the time ! Haha
Sorry for bad pics but ....

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
image.jpg
December 01, 2015 02:43PM
Nice little assortment. What are the names on the larger watches? The one with the yellow dial and the one with the rose colored dial.... at least in the photos?
December 01, 2015 06:58PM
Steve
I sent you a pm .
Lord Elgin
Elgin
Bulova
Are the ones you asked about . Not sure if they work or not but they are pretty cool . Even the band is different than I've ever seen .

Thanks
Kurt
January 11, 2016 02:12PM
Hi guys.

I feel like an idiot for just finding this thread! Boy, that's a shame on me.

Very interesting Steve. I love old benches. Old tools. Old Craftsmen. Haha.

I have some old stuff too. You really have to be steady and organized Steve. Doubt you find many parts that you drop. Even on my scale, I loose parts forever. I always swear there is a worm hole under the bench! In some other dimension, a Craftsman is finding my parts which just pop up on his bench! Haha.

Sorry I got here after the party.

Thanks for Posting!
Gary
January 12, 2016 02:30PM
Thanks for chiming in. I've lost many parts and have spent hours on the floor with a big magnet finding parts. Some are never seen again. Just the nature of things i guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021