Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Show you what I’m Working On! pushingarock

Show you what I’m Working On! pushingarock
April 05, 2019 04:30PM
2952B483-D74C-40DD-8E88-03855B3A0187.jpeg

These are just under 2” for the disc. I shear the discs. All of the Die work is mine alone. The Dies are Hand Engraved / Carved into Tool Steel. Then , Struck/Pressed into the base metal. These are an alloy of Aluminum which is well suited to stay bright in Coastal Climates. People like Sterling (until it’s black as your hat each time you go to wear it). Oxidation is real, and a nuisance unless it’s part of a neat patina finish. So we wipe it out of the picture for this line of jewelry. This Alloy remains bright and is comfortably light to wear.

D4DF7A2F-9D8D-4222-A742-DD8F4E20BF15.jpeg

Hope you like seeing them.

Thanks
Gary

PS; In the most sincere and friendly way ... I’m kinda baffled as to how to have a forum, when 99.5% won't talk or indicate what they’d like to see. I’m certain that you get the underlying story. I have to have an income, and I do everything I can to deal with my health issues. I only mention those any more when it needs to explain why I’ve chosen a particular project, or why I’ve missed a projection due to health issues. I try my best to make my efforts to process each day, interesting enough to watch and discuss. You may know others who show the spectrum of work that I have; but I’ll bet you don’t know more then a thousand or so. If you do, your one thousand buds are about one three hundred and thirty thousandth of the US alone. If you know less, then it’s even more rare. That only means you aren’t wasting your time zapping aliens or lining up blocks, when you visit Rendezvous on your coffee break.

0D426909-48D9-419C-A5AA-6C22BDF5D895.jpeg

So; I continue to wonder how to share. What to share. How to make it desirable to readers. And, that’s what I do 7/7 days. Thanks for reading.

C1503648-2ADF-4A5E-B76C-537CD087C8F5.jpeg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 12:30AM by barnespneumatic.
April 05, 2019 07:21PM
Very nice Ocean themed pendants Gary. Still think with your wealth of knowledge you should try a youtuibe channel and monetize it. Worth a shot.... nothing ventured..... well you know. We old dudes don't have many friends left to pass on the joy.
April 05, 2019 07:31PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks much.

What do you have in mind? Do you mean explaining techniques and processes?

If so, I get the comment of who are you gonna pass it to? I think of that.

Honestly, how on earth would you put Techniques into 5-10 minute videos? Honestly, if I’d have put the forum work into u Tube .... well ...

But I seriously am not just trying to find a reason not to ... but the attention span and then the intensity of the content ... makes me wonder. I can think that the only few people interested would be my direct competition - and probably with a factory out back looking for plans.

What do you think?
April 05, 2019 11:53PM
Could be just that, meaning tech talks or demos of products made or tools you have used.
Of course, its always the cute girl knife maker or you name the profession that gets millions of views, so you may have a tough road, but certainly some guys have managed for some reason to grab an audience and have a huge following. You have a gift in many areas and your never at a loss for intelligent words. I can often look up technique from master mechanics and carpenters,the list is endless with world renown people who offer up complete techniques and in some cases a sampling to open the door for paid instruction. I think the key word is" open doors".
April 06, 2019 12:31AM
9327D9D4-DD5F-415C-8EB6-BA0D970BCBAD.jpeg

And next ... I’ve done another pass. Completed the waves.

DCAEBFB2-CDC5-479D-A75C-1140489F279A.jpeg

What do you say??? This one was a test piece for patterns and effect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 03:27PM by barnespneumatic.
April 08, 2019 02:27AM
Hi Gary,
I really like the nautical theme of the new dies. If you can inscribe the octopus, that'll put my name on it. Here's the info

Oyster City Challenge 2019
1st Tandem Kayak

And for a friend, if the sun, palm tree, gull and dolphin medal is still available. Here's the inscription.

Oyster City Challenge 2019
2nd Tandem Kayak

Thanks,
Kent
April 08, 2019 12:32PM
Hi Kent,

That’s very nice. I’ll hook you up. You can imagine how difficult it is to “inscribe an Octopus.” It tickles them! Haha ....

I liked the Sun Pendant a lot. Glad it will have a good home with your friend.

Thanks very much
Gary
April 08, 2019 06:49PM
Gary
Those are really beautiful. I especially like the bale/ clasps or whatever you call the twisted wire attachments . What a great choice to pick from also . I for one can really appreciate all the steps AFTER you've custom made your tooling . Besides the finishing there has to be at least 10 progressive steps . Wow
I'm glad your getting some sales from the sea turtle rescue place and what a great cause too . A person can memorialize their experience with a wonderful keep sake .

Thanks
Kurt
April 10, 2019 08:46PM
91DB863F-ACE2-4D16-B8FF-DD251D54CA40.jpeg

Hi Kurt. Thanks. I really appreciate your post. The forum has met a lot to me over the last ten years. I’ve done absolutely everything I could to make it a “Rendezvous”, while public pressure has always been to force it to be a blog. So I guess You, Kent, and Steve ... can share a campfire while most watch us from up on the ridge, through field glasses.

You are correct. There are many many steps to a medallion like this. Here’s a quick list ...

1- band saw or die blank out a disc

2- anneal the disc. For non-ferrous metals, most anneal by heating to around 1,000 f and quenching. Do so without melting/burning/degrading strength in stress areas.

3- sand through several grits up around 400-500

4- hammer finish with prepared surface hammer

5- if there are multi facet backgrounds then ...

6- die finish texture

7- align and affix dies in place. Pins, clamp, adhesive

8- apply appropriate pressure to coin image.

9- check and alter/rotate/repeat until correct or you throw it away

10- flatten disc from stretching distortion. Anneal again first if needed.

11- place subsequent die characters up to 4,6, or more. One at a time

12- repeat 7 thru 11 for each image. Each new one provides the opportunity to ruin the entire thing.

There’s at least another 25 steps you do without counting them. There’s 10 more to make that vine bail you liked. Thank you.

It’s taken me 45 professional years to make these. To figure out the coining art. It should be recognized as worthy, don’t you think? I’m really glad you commented Kurt.

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 08:51PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021