Re: What Do You Think of These? nowthatIthink

What Do You Think of These? nowthatIthink
May 14, 2019 04:06PM
2DBA3ACE-AF97-4C22-8E53-5177A0C3C054.jpeg

On Antique Copper and Aluminum Alloy

Gary
May 14, 2019 09:12PM
Looks good, nautical theme should be a big seller in FL. near coast. Think about key ring size maybe with ring so they can sell as complete package possibly add something about FL or even city, ie Key West on top Florida on bottom. Or is that becoming way to commercial and possibly pricey. I guess price point vs exclusivity could be an issue. But I do like them esp the large center one. When you do a picture like this put a quarter or some such in for scale, it helps visualize.

Gary L
May 14, 2019 10:16PM
Thanks Gary

The big ones are right at 2”.

Smaller at 1 1/2”.

Real glad you
Like them.

Note ... the smaller Copper are done Repousee’ Style. Design pushed up
From the under side. The Larger Aluminum is done Coin Style. Coin Style can be done in Thicknesses above 50-60 thousandth thick. About 1/16” (.063”). The Repousee’ is done with thinner gauge. These are 25 thousandth to be strong, yet light, and take the image. Most of these are Antique Copper Roofing Material. BTW ... if anyone comes across Antique Copper Roofing (especially with the green verdigris oxide - keep me in mind. I’d love to buy some more).

I can reproduce and/or enhance the look ... but it’s great to have the real thing to market.

Cutting the dies is the main art form and that’s what I treasure. Quick story. In 1999, when preparing for Standing Stone One; my hands started going numb. It was terrifying. And my neck was painful. That was the start of the circus. Following were nerve tests, MRI’s, CAT scans, Three Surgeries to replace two neck discs, and two carpal tunnel surgeries - one open cut - one orthoscopic. From then on it’s been a game of chronic pain. Of course, that original set of surgeries are now wearing out, and are
complicated by large bone spurs that have grown around the surgery areas. Main concern is that now, since I’ve been priced out of the health market, I’m very conscious of the fragile nature of my skills ..... the reason to summarize that story ....

I’m thrilled that I can still carve right handed. And I pray that remains. But signs are worrisome. But dies, once carved, stay carved. Thank God. If I can develop this market, I’m in the right location. It’s been a steady push to build and We still must promote. Plz keep us in mind and when you need gifts, plz give us a chance to meet your needs.

Kelly and I have a banter we use. As you know ... I used to be quite the “hunk” ... oh yeah. Haha. (Humor). Well, for some years now ... when Kelly has jokingly referred to me as her hunk ... I’ve corrected that to “actually ‘lump’ is more accurate”. I’ve come to be referenced as the “Old White Lump” ain’t what he used to be. Hah. But oddly the work is still great. Just slower. And patrons and markets flow around the Studios Artists work in, so you adapt.

Gary, thanks for commenting. I am indeed making dies for individual organizations and areas. Of course, there are all sorts of legal goodies that apply. Even selling your work at some venues require complex requirements be met. Most We are just too small to comply with.

Keep us in mind. And thanks much,
The other Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 12:40PM by barnespneumatic.
May 15, 2019 01:27AM
56A0BC55-E838-43AA-8503-1FEA4AC18A25.jpeg

D76B8D88-F480-43DD-9D9F-4530FF0B88D9.jpeg

Thks Lon,

Now how do I get it seen correctly and represented.
May 14, 2019 10:17PM
D48E4995-5590-4AE3-BF00-DDBB9D454757.jpeg

Gary
May 15, 2019 01:02AM
Gary,

Gaff rigged schooners are always a popular rustic theme which should go well with patinaed copper.

This rigging with the nicer full keel hull of the sloop pictured below. This stuff is amateur hour compared to what you're producing.

[www.davidmorgan.com]

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 01:04AM by Bigbore.
May 15, 2019 01:50AM
I see alot of possible creations. You could do earrings,bracelets,anklets,belts,cuff links.... sure i'm missing many more.
I guess it just takes one style to take off. You've got the inventory, now you need a sales rep. Put an ad in Craigslist for a go getter College student on break to sell your wares.
May 16, 2019 05:55PM
Gary
Those are going to display wonderful. I’ll bet they sell like hot cakes. I’m sure you’ll include a nice leather shoe lace type for necklace!

Thanks
Kurt
May 18, 2019 04:55PM
wow, you have been busy. They all look really nice!

Those should really speak to people into jewelry and make great gifts for sure.

Pedro
May 21, 2019 07:22PM
I really like the one with the sunburst pattern and I’d bet my wife would too. ? She wouldnt wear earrings this big, but I think she would if it was a necklace. Would it be possible to make one up in sterling silver? I have some leftover from a stalled project that I could send for you to work with, if you want.
Sean
May 21, 2019 08:21PM
Hi Sean,

Sure thing.

If the sterling is 15 to 25 thousandths ... I’d do it in relief (Repousee’) where the die pushes up from underneath .... like the Sun shone here. If the Sterling was about 30-50 thousandth... I’d “Coin” it. Such as most of the Aluminum versions you see here. The design is then driven into the face side.

It would be an honor.

Best,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021