Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What a Crock!

What a Crock!
March 04, 2010 07:09PM
Figured that title would grab some attention. haha. laughing again

I think the following will interest most of you. I suspect that there will be more than a few readers that will utter the title, before reading much. The Reader why me

Well ... here goes. Right now ... I feel absolutely wonderful. Haven't felt so good in memory. (So ... nowthatIthink is my gun ready then? ... haha. self-hammer ) Not quite. But, something very interesting just took place. These posts are sort of the chronicles of my work, and my work is much of my life. There's little dispute that I'm not quite "normal" ... whistling ... and thus; I can do the things I do. So; I share some of the experience.

Suffering from chronic pain is ... well .... chronic. If you'd like to duplicate the experience ... put your arm behind your back, reach up as high as you can. Now ... get someone to raise it another two inches and duct tape it there. Right ... it hurts. And, it's gonna hurt all day ... so just forget about it. On the way out the door, absentmindedly walk into the edge of the dishwasher door (which has been left half way down). After the initial sharp pain, it will ache like heck. That's good. As you get in your car ... hit your head on the door jam. Now ... you are ready. Go to work. Have a happy and productive day. more confused

Cuts into your concentration and endurance. But ... you can do it. Sometimes though, I just have to go lay down and take the weight off for awhile. Half an hour does it pretty well. Here's were we're going into interesting territory. That time of half conscious rest, sorts out many of the knots of the shop work. I've mentioned, for years, the "back room" of my brain; where my mind seems to be working on a large number of issues. Many of them, I've not even consciously realized were a problem. (That's good, because I am consciously aware of quite enough problems! winking smiley ) Well, I never know when I'm going to get a memo from the back room. But, one regular experience is at the end of these rests.

The process seems to be that, in that twilight fog, I become aware that something is being explained and illustrated to me. Just happened a bit ago. After my proceedure this morning, I'm not supposed to drive or do anything really today. We'll see. However; I became so very tired and sleepy when the pain stopped. Just had to go lay down. After about a half an hour passed, I was watching a program on machining billet in my mind. This time, I solved quite a few issues. Jerry ... got your scope boss/rails covered, no sweat. Joe ... modified the 45 optional approach from yesterday - improved it quite a bit. Joebill, Heritage Pistol billet will improve, and bullpup issues were solved. Since I'm entering the billet phase with many of the projects, it will help many of them. Will help with large scope bell/barrel clearance issues. Will help with recoil resistance for barrel/receivers on some big guns. Will simplify barrel mounts on other models. Will do away with "drill thru" issues on bi-pod mount attachments. Rectify clearance issues here and there. And allow for smaller dia. billet to do the same job as oversized stock. Simple ..... well NOW it's simple. Another idea!

I've also found that every off-model design I work into the pipeline for customers, provides a new technique to better complete the ledger model projects. Often, just a single clarification will have a ripple effect that becomes a wave. The Grey Fox, Grizzly, Caribou units accelerated the Scout, Dakota, Savannah projects. Justice work benefited the Nitros and Yukons. The Chameleon work, just benefited greatly from a bench rifle I designed from a few thoughts that intersected over a pencil and paper.

Things like this, get me excited again. It's good not to hurt! Pain is over-rated. haha. Lately, I've had certain things that I could do, and certain things I knew to stay away from. There is nothing like taking a month's work, and ruining it in twenty minutes, because I just can't concentrate and spot a mistake before I make it. Most of the things I do are one way processes. You don't put the steel back. You don't undrill the hole. You don't unbreak the tap, ungouge the finish, or make the thread bigger. It's difficult to explain to folks that are not in chronic pain, that it simply doesn't end. It just fades and surges, and you work in the troughs between the waves. It's good to have a calm sea this afternoon. Just wanted to share to experience.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 07:21PM by barnespneumatic.
Anonymous User
March 04, 2010 10:39PM
Man that arm thing hurts just thinking about it, got to be tough doing much of anything at all feeling likethe way your describing Gary. Glad to hear your feeling some relief from the procedure, hopefully it will hang with you for quite awhile. Interesting how one project ties in with another. I have a hard time stopping until I finish what I'm doing, its a gift to be able to juggle all those at once, or maybe a curse, guess you'll have to make that call.
March 05, 2010 12:58AM
Good to see you feel better. I know a close person who has the same problem but from the neck injury, so I know how it feels.
March 05, 2010 01:55AM
Good to see you feeling good GB.
March 05, 2010 06:06AM
Pain free has got to be good! Enjoy, Gary thumbs up
Regards
Neil
March 05, 2010 10:42AM
thumbs up

-- Jim
March 05, 2010 07:16PM
Gary

glad you are feeling better.....

that "twilight fog" business sounds like some Timothy Leary flashback -hehe "festive"

perhaps you should refer to it as a "Newtonian experience" - a la Sir Isaac !

Seriously, though, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about because I've occasionally had the same spooky/semi-dream thing happen to me whereby something that was in the back of my mind suddenly resurfaces with the answer I've been struggling to find. I have a feeling that our brains are able to "process in the background" sometimes and then ping us when the "calculation" is done

if only we could control this...it would be "like total consciousness, Dude!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021