Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Hey Jim - Question please

Hey Jim - Question please
March 11, 2010 03:28PM
Hi Jim,

My e-mail is down ... AGAIN ... so I didn't write there. And, as there were related Rendezvous questions ... I just put it here. At least I will - if it loads .... hummm.

However; it's taken me multiple trys to get to Rendezvous today. In fact. I've wondered if the cable were down ... but I could get to Google instantly. They can always be reached - even on a broken computer. haha. Just seemed odd that my mail were down at my ISP, and Rendezvous ISP was horribly slow too. And then, the reason I ask is because I wonder if the last thing is related: When I come to the Home page ... it won't tell me anymore, that there are new posts. But .. when I click onto the main forum ... there's new stuff. I wonder what's changed there? Anybody else seen this? There's suppose to be red numbers on the Home page's list of forums, telling you where the new posts and comments will be found.

Gary
March 11, 2010 04:21PM
your site ain't woking either....
March 11, 2010 04:33PM
I can get to Rendezvous just fine, as well as other sites hosted on the same server. I'd guess your problems lie with either your ISP or the host for glbarnes.com (again whistling).

-- Jim
March 11, 2010 06:59PM
Hi Jim,

You missed my question regarding Rendezvous. It just happened again. I came on the main page ... and there were no red marks indicating that there were any new comments on any forum. But, I clicked on the main forum here, and your comment was here. Something is preventing notification of new posts on the home page.

Gary
March 11, 2010 08:06PM
Make sure you're logged in and not viewing the forum as a guest. The red numbers only show up when you're logged in.

-- Jim
March 11, 2010 08:52PM
Well, my name is at the bottom of the page, just about 24/7. The top bar only ever offers "Log Out" ... so, I guess I'm logged in.

It's become a regular feature. Just did it now again. I can log out and in again ... but I've never had to before.

Gary
March 11, 2010 08:53PM
Made no difference ... Home page still does not show me there's anything unread on any of the forums. When there are.

Let me rephrase the question. "Is there any reason the forum itself might have changed (other than me being too dumb to use it as I always have before?)"

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 08:57PM by barnespneumatic.
March 12, 2010 12:07AM
Nope . . . nothing has changed. Right now I'm looking at 19 unread posts for me flagged in red. I'd try loggin into your account from kelly's PC.

-- Jim
March 12, 2010 02:37AM
I just came to the site. Nothing in red on the home page. Clicked on this main forum, your comment and Joebill's comments are flagged in red here. So - the fact is, something is different with the home page. After 1,945 posts ... I'm pretty familiar with the drill. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'm not feeling an overwhelming sense of empathy here. Even sadder Next time you get a slug stuck in your barrel at the range, I'm going to tell you that "mine works fine". hahha. wink

I can definitely log in from Kelly's computer. I occasionally use that computer, and check on the forum from there. It's always worked the same as mine here in the office. Why would that matter?

What I was trying to do, was see if anyone else had noticed this same issue. Guess not - nobody is saying one way or another.

Green bowing

Gary
March 12, 2010 10:27AM
I would also try using a different browser from your normal machine. Do you have Firefox on there? It sounds like it might be a caching issue with IE on your laptop -- that's the only thing that I can think of. Maybe go to Tools --> Internet Options in Internet Explorer and delete your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies. Did you mess with JavaScript or Privacy / Security or any other settings on your browser?

Literally, nothing has changed on the website code. No one else is reporting the problem. So . . . it's gotta be on your end. That's why I wanted you to check it from Kelly's PC. typing

Sorry for the terse replies . . . I've been incredibly busy this week with just a few seconds here and there to check in.

-- Jim
March 12, 2010 01:44AM
face it Gary...... the Internet hates you pushingarock

or perhaps it is just jealous of your new camera ??????

maybe Al (the inventor) Gore thinks your airguns cause global warming........hahaha
March 12, 2010 02:41AM
Hi Joebill,

Yes ... I've noticed that the internet, and several other things, hate me. Do you have a theory as to why you think this is so? Better yet, do you have a quick fix? I'd rather experience the flip side. thumbs up

Gary
March 12, 2010 04:31AM
Hmmmmm,

Apple, check.

IBM, check.

Unix?why me

Lon
March 12, 2010 10:30AM
If anyone else is seeing this problem, please let me know by replying to this post.

-- Jim
March 12, 2010 01:57PM
Mine is flagged with the new post indicator but I'm not getting the number listed either. I use Firefox which as I remember just updated yesterday to a new version.

I never really used that feature so I can't recall if its been an issue in the past.

Kent
March 12, 2010 02:21PM
OK ... this morning, without changing a thing ... I got the numbers saying that there were new posts on this forum.

Just to follow-up: No ... I've changed nothing. Have not altered any settings.

The issue concerned me because, as Jim noted himself; many people just gallop into the room, click the forum on, and if they see no new indicators of new posts ... move on.

I wish the forum were more useful for "decompression time", but it seems few use it for that. I don't know how many times I've read something like "I haven't read the thread, but here's my quick 2 cents worth". And, I always wonder ... why haven't you read the thread? Right .. I get the concept of available time ... but, if you don't have time to read a forum, and enjoy the posts people have taken the time to write ... I don't see why you'd click on in the first place. That's where we get the lack of comments or depth of discussions. A reader gives you a full three seconds to "Impress me". And, if not ... they're gone.

Therefore; knowing this is the way most readers use the forum, having the indicator numbers for new posts down on the Home Page, seemed like a problem. I didn't do anything on this end before or after. Noticed it for several days before mentioning it. It was consistently down. I didn't dump any cache, or alter any preferences. But, this morning, now it's back. Odd.

Thanks for thinking about it,
Gary
March 12, 2010 11:08PM
Gary

do you use Internet Explorer?

When i use Windows machines at work, I find that browser to be quirky... so it could just be that

Now....as to why the Internet and the weather appear to hate you - hmmm

again, it appears that the only link is that famous guru of both the Internet and Global Warming.......AL GORE!!!

perhaps he feels you are using too much bandwith on his creation and therefor has asked the planet to plague you bowing

I suggest buying a Toyota Prius...you should be able to find a used one cheap !!!on the phone
Leprechaun
March 13, 2010 02:27AM
Oh ... now you did it. Don't get me started on the axe job they are doing to Toyota!

Anybody ever wonder why the people with runaway problems, and the endless news cycle stories on the issue .. don't address the issue of why didn't you just "TURN IT OFF?!!!" I find it a bit amazing that it's never addressed.

They've played that 911 tape a thousand times of the last guy with the supposed runaway. I heard the 911 dispatcher tell the guy to push the start button in and hold it for five seconds. He ignored her. I wondered what was up then.

Today, I heard that Toyota says there's a system that's supposed to kill everything if the accelerator and brake were operated at the same time. The last guy said he wore out the brakes. We'll see. Then, there's the fact that the guy also happens to be over $700K in debt ... hummm.

We'll see,.

Gary
March 13, 2010 02:42PM
Joebill,

To answer your question. Yes - I do use Internet Explorer. Have for years. Never had any issues with it. I've used it the entire time the forum has been up.

Regarding the weather hating me ... make a note: Barometer at 29.4 .... means Gary feels like he was beat up. knucklehead haha.\

Gary
March 13, 2010 07:20PM
And, it's back to giving me no indication on the home page, that there's anything new. Click onto the main forum, and there are posts. Therefore; I guess I'd have to check into each forum to see if there were really any fresh posts. Very odd this has never been the case before.

Since we asked ... only Kent responded. Which means nobody has the problem, nobody understands the issue, or nobody thinks it's worth bothering with. I really don't know if it's just my rig or not. And, if it were, I wouldn't have a clue why or how to correct it. However; it's annoying to me - as someone who actually uses the forum and responds to all of the postings.

Gary
March 14, 2010 03:21AM
I don't use Initernet Explorer if I can help it, because at least on the machines I've used it on it is buggy - forget which version this is, though

AS far as Toyota - I think those problems have been vastly overblown - every idiot who has crashed a Toyota now claims it "went out of control"

You 're right, people tend to panic and forget the obvious - I mean, the idea that you'd pull out your phone and call 911 or whatever rather than:

a) get your foot off the gas and onto the BRAKE, b)shift to neutral or a lower gear or c) turn the car off ( you do lose power steering and brakes)

of course, after the fact they always say they did everything!

One of the car mags did a test with a powerful car - think it was a Mustang - on a track, whereby the hammered the gas with the right foot and the brake with the left. Bottom line, the car STOPPED, although it took longer

I think the odds that the gas sticks, the brakes fail, the transmission fails and the car won't turn off all at the same time is about......well I have a better chance of winning Powerball!
March 14, 2010 02:03PM
To chronicle this Main page number problem. Right now, it just said there was (1) new post on the main forum. I clicked there - there are (3) new red posts there. I ask for the third time directly ... is anyone else seeing this?

Regarding Toyota: Seems a bit odd that they let Toyota become the biggest car manufacturer in the world while asleep at the board room table. While giving away contracts to unions they knew they'd never be able to pay. Toyota built a decades long reputation for being amazingly dependable. For lasting forever. And then, when on GM and Chrysler are on their death bed ... and with the US government as Big Daddy ... NOW they jump on Toyota with all four feet. Congressional hearings. Law suites. Endless commercials bashing Toyota as though they were the scum of the earth. Intentionally ignoring flaming twisted masses of steel, with their customers inside. What a crock. It's dirty.

Gary
March 14, 2010 03:52PM
Gary, it sounds to me like you are leaving the forum open in a browser window for awhile. E.g., do you have it set as your homepage? The numbers on the main page don't automatically update without you refreshing the page. When you initially hit it, and leave the window open, if there are no new posts since your last time hitting the main page, it will show no red numbers. In the meantime -- if someone's left a new post since you've opened that window and left it untouched -- when you click in using the window that's been open for awhile, each individual forum will show its own (updated) number of posts. That's the only thing I can think of that would be causing what you're seeing. The code hasn't changed. You haven't changed any settings on your PC.

I am not seeing the behavior you are describing. It doesn't sound as if others are either. Can you recreate this issue from Kelly's PC, or from Firefox on your own PC?

-- Jim
March 14, 2010 04:44PM
Hi Jim,

I don't leave it on. It's not my home page. It's fresh, each time I go there. The indicators between the Home and main page are not in sync - at least they are not for me.

I haven't tried other browsers. It's clear that alot of people dislike Explorer. I've never been aware of any problems with it. This issue is brand new after a year and a half of doing the same thing, with the same settings. So; I can start swapping out different stuff ... and if it's different, that still won't tell me what has changed for the system that's worked just fine, since we threw the switch for the forum.

Nobody is saying - one way or another. So - it's a non-starter.

Thank you,
Gary
March 14, 2010 04:58PM
I can unequivocably tell you that nothing has changed on the server code -- if for no other reason I've been insanely busy and haven't been around that much lately, and haven't messed with anything there.

So -- logic dictates that there are only a few possibilities:

* There is a bug in the server code which has somehow surfaced now after a year and a half of lying dormant (unlikely, but possible); or

* There is an issue with your browser config (e.g., caching or security, or something else) which causes you to see this issue; or

* There is no bug on the server, and no problem with your browser config, and the above situation I outlined (or something similar) is causing you to see this behavior.

That's it. I can't think of anything else it could be, but if other technically-minded folks on here have another idea, please speak up.

Essentially, I need the exact steps to recreate the bug, or I can't help you. That's why I asked you to verify that you see the issue from Kelly's PC, or when using another browser like Firefox. But according to your own observations, sometimes the issue is there and sometimes it isn't.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 05:02PM by admin.
March 14, 2010 05:32PM
From Kelly's computer. This time, the numbers were correct. Now, as you know ... she's on a Dell, running Vista, AVG security, and running Internet Explorer ..... just like I am. To be clear. I really didn't think you had changed the code .... and were just pranking me. winking smiley

From my earliest post, on the subject ... I've tried, in vain, to get a consensus as to if the phenomenon were showing anywhere else. It bugged me - cause I didn't want to miss posts.

It's clear that it must be a quark of my system. I don't know why. It's not the most important issue I'm dealing with, and never intended to suggest it should be yours. I've just answered the questions, as you have asked them.

Thanks very much, smileys with beer
Gary
March 14, 2010 05:35PM
OK ... just posted the above response ... from Kelly's computer. Immediately went to the Home page. It said there was nothing new. No red numbers anywhere. I clicked onto the main forum .. and there were three new posts.

So - it's the same from Kelly's computer, as mine.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 05:35PM by barnespneumatic.
March 14, 2010 06:02PM
If you hit the forum front page and see no red numbers when they should be there, and then hit refresh, do they show up? I'm about 99% sure that what you're describing is the front page of the forum being cached. The other issue is that I don't know how long it takes the forum software to detect whether or not a post is "new" for a particular user. There might be a slight delay. This is be the kind of thing that you notice only after you've started looking at it. In any case it's very odd that sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't, which makes it almost impossible to troubleshoot because you can't consistently recreate it.

-- Jim
March 14, 2010 10:03PM
Jim,

No - refresh doesn't clear it up.

Just now ... the Home page showed (1) new comment on the Main Forum, and (1) new comment here on Just Sayin'. In reality, there was your comment here ... and (3) new comments on the Main Forum.

I'm sure it does have something to do with a Cached version of a page. Sometimes it shows nothing at all ... and is wrong. Sometimes it shows the wrong number of comments ... and is wrong.

Quite odd.

Gary
March 14, 2010 10:31PM
Well . . . they may have the code tweaked for "what's current enough." Meaning . . . a new post since you've last hit the front page may not trigger the page to update its count until it's x minutes since the post OR your last visit. I don't know . . . I didn't write it . . . but it sure seems like a caching thing based on what you're reporting and my experience with such issues.

I did a little digging on the phorum.org site and it seems that this feature is based on cookies. A cookie is a browser / session-based text file. . . it's specific to the web site you visit (each time you visit) and records things like your login credentials (so you don't have to enter them any time), the date / time you last logged in, etc. Probably # of unread posts in this case too. I'm guessing you're reading things faster than the code is updating the count on the front page . . . or IE by default has a cache interval that is longer than phorum updates the number of posts in question.

Can you live with it? eye popping smiley I mean, nothin's changed, and we've been using this same rig sinnce October '08. Lemme know your thoughts. drinking smiley

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 11:04PM by admin.
March 15, 2010 01:11AM
Thing is, my use of the forum is unchanged. I can appreciate that you are attempting to understand what I'm seeing, and you are not seeing it yourself. However; I'm no different. The equipment is no different. Kelly's computer is no different. My useage patterns are no different. The frequency of my visits are no different. Just for the record ... I'm not quite so pathetic that I'm sitting here 24/7 typing hitting the "refresh" button, and reading faster than the poor computer can update. Even sadder We've only got my observations because, despite all requests, nobody other than Kent has responded. Therefore; 99 people might be seeing the exact same thing ... and simply will not say one way or the other. It's the internet - right.

We've beat it to death. I've used it the same way for nearly 2,000 posts. I know what it's been, and it's now inaccurate in it's count. Seems that's clear when it says there's one post on a page, I open it, and there's three there instead. It's never been that way in the last year and a half. If it said five posts ... I'd go read five posts. If I found only four ... I'd look farther up the string, and find one in the middle of the thread, that the numbers had indicated was there somewhere.

Doesn't matter. Obviously the answer doesn't exist, and I've said the same thing a dozen different ways.

Thanks again Jim.

Gary
March 15, 2010 11:17PM
Hey - I responded!

just don't have what you have, I use Safari as a browserLeprechaun
March 16, 2010 12:07AM
You're a prince of a guy Joebill! I appreciate it too. thumbs up

Internet Explorer has worked for me for the last 13 years. Worked on the forum for the first 18 months. Thanks. I can still use the forum - just can't trust any of the indicators or numbers anymore. Just like now. It told me your comment was here. And it was. But it had nothing for the main forum ... and there is new stuff there.

smileys with beer

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 12:09AM by barnespneumatic.
March 16, 2010 03:18PM
just weird!
March 17, 2010 12:18AM
Hey Jim,

I had not noticed this until now but the site IS acting different now. I was just noticing that the last time I signed on, the site said 3 new posts but then I saw a half dozen or more... I just decided to post that observation here and the site did not inform me of any new posts in this forum but when I got "here" Hey!, 3 new posts from Gary and Joebill! So, Gary remains crazy, but this is not a delusion!
March 17, 2010 12:37AM
God Bless You my Son.

crazy

This was turning into just like the time I tried to tell them about the alien spaceship ... excited ..... injured .... inmate

Wait .... shooter surrender shooter with bench rifle .... "don't tazzz me BRO!!!"
March 18, 2010 11:22PM
OK . . . I ran all the database integrity stuff in the admin module. There were a few it said to try running if new post counts seemed to be out of sync. If it was a database problem, that should have fixed it. Let me know if you still see this issue . . . I'm running out of ideas.

-- Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021