Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: FOR SALE bullhorn FABULOUS FOLDER!!!! bullhorn boing

SOLD SOLD SOLD Green bowing FABULOUS FOLDER!!!! grinning smiley
May 11, 2018 06:57PM
I'll post this cause you are waiting .....

Then tell the story. This is a SWEET KNIFE. WITH TITANIUM!!!!!

$650us plus $19 Ins and Ship via USPS

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

Drop marker here!

Gary

Now I'll add many more pics and the story.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 12:54PM by barnespneumatic.
May 11, 2018 07:47PM
This is a great folder.

Ok. You saw a Channel Folder started. And, I brought it to a complete state on the level of a "Sherpa' work/companion knife.

I had it up for a couple of days. Explore the market, one more time; for a simplier pocket piece. It sounds curious, but I've always had a hard time selling simpler knives. I've always thought they should go like a bowl of potato chips. Haha. But they move slower, and 90% of times I have to upgrade them. My bad because you always loose when you have to retrace ground. Folks want a Barnes to exhibit a certain standard, but when I'm looking for a quick sale, even forty years down the road, I can't believe a nice simple design won't sell immediately.

While I mulled this over, I played with the knife. I. Just wasn't satisfied. Only way to keep me from examining something to death is to take it away from me. Haha. Should the mechanism be softer? Yeah - sure, if it were a higher finish. Then, I didn't hear from anyone .... hummmm. These knives looked great with scales. Especially Titanium Scales! Now, I hadn't used Titanium in some time. And, I kind of forgot why, because I love it. But I know people love it too and I've wanted to have it on the bench again.

Well, I began to search out my Anodizing equipment. Found a box labeled Anodizing Transformer. GREAT!!!!! Opened it and it was my Gold Plating Transformer. Nutz. I told Kelly. She asked what it looked like. She pointed High on a shelf ... "like that?" Ahhhh .... exactly. Yes. Ha.

Then, I needed a chemical mix. I thought I had it .... somewhere. Couldn't find. Went thru about 4-5 retailers. Finally found an old guy who knew what I wanted. Needed my Stainless Steel foil. Plastic grid material. Containers. Finally got my small Anodizing kit gathered. And ... it didn't work. Hummmmm.

And so I had to trouble shoot the system. Finally found a broken contact inside the Transformer, and soldered it. It all finally worked!!!!! I was ..... pleased.

Well, I decided to use my Sherpa Channel Folder as donor parts, because they were all high quality, just not highly finished. And so I continued to carefully sand, and brush, and polish. I also got out all the tooling to make my special textured metal, raised dome components. That required a few tools that are still hiding after the move. I love the look these give and the look ability to finish hand struck rivet heads and buff them.

I added a new blade Hub which was 1 1/2 thousandth thicker. I tapered the back springbto soften it. Relieved it for a more silky action.

Assembled and made a Clevis Ring for a chain or leather tail. Assembled. Polished. I love it. What do you think?

Gary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 01:53PM by barnespneumatic.
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG
May 12, 2018 02:57PM
Wow the devil is in the detail.
So you laminated the titanium to SS and dressed the heck out out it too . I sure do like all the little touches . They work great and STILL such a slim profile. Nice chemistry work .

Thanks
Kurt
May 12, 2018 06:09PM
Thank you Kurt,

I appreciate your commenting on it.

I REALLY like it, myself. Yeah. There is soooooooooo much going on there to make this finish out so sleek.

For example! Haha. ......

IMG_1383.JPG

Take a walk around one of these components. There are 4 on the knife now. The reader would be amazed at the tooling and machines to be able to make these. Just note the texture (and this one was not polished here), but that is Nickle Silver (an alloy of Nickle, Zinc, and Copper). The texture is high relief. Created by the nickle base metal being squeezed into a negative tool steel Die (carved). Squeezed by a heavy duty rolling mill (about 100 tons per square inch of pressure). Then, that rolled nickel plate must be stress relieved (annealed), in order to work it farther. That's done with heat and quench. Now, to raise the dome, I use another die set. We are going to punch the proper sized hole, raise the dome, and shear around the bottom of the base - to free the object. It all has to be accurate or it's just junk. Now, you coooould drill the hole later ..... IF you could hold the thing, and IF you could spot the exact center, and if you could keep the thing from spinning with the drill bit. OR, you could punch the hole afterwards. See above. And you wouldn't want to mash or damage, scratch it. OR, you could punch the hole WHILE raising the dome. BUT, if you punch the right size hole, when you stretch the dome .... the hole grows to the wrong size. Hummmmmm. OR, you could use experience - estimate the growth - shear the hole, raise the dome, and shear the component free ..... together ..... IF everything was perfect, held securely, you had the correct male and female die parts with their frame ...... AND you'd built a Press to drive the die set. Hummmmm

After all that, you can deburr/strop the base and polish the component .... IF .... you can hold it true, securely, OR find it after it flies past your ear at light speed .... haha.

As you note .... my components don't come five to a pack on a bubble card. On most knives, you pay for one little component like this ... and the rest of the knife comes with it for free. Thumb's Up! Hehe.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 06:11PM by barnespneumatic.
May 12, 2018 11:13PM
Hi Gary,
I really like the special touches. I know you find it hard to leave your creations at the silver level. I'll take this platinum level knife with the titanium scales. Mark it SOLD.
Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 11:40PM by Cajun Justice.
May 12, 2018 11:55PM
God Bless ya Kent,

May all your Kayak Holes be in the top deck.

Gary

This knife is SOLD SOLD SOLD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 05:14AM by barnespneumatic.
May 13, 2018 12:20AM
I'm gone for a few days and I miss all the fun! I like the simplicity of this knife in this form, and without the titanium. I'm sorry I missed out.

But you've got me thinking.... Have you ever made any titanium blades? I suspect they are more challenging than stainless, but I'm curious.
My other thought is can you fold titanium to make this knife all titanium without adding the scales?

Scott
May 13, 2018 01:03AM
Hi Scott,

Nice to hear from you. I have made many Titanium folded hot dog buns over Stainless channel. Meaning the Ti was thinner. Yes, I could fold thicker but I need to source it (actually .....$ may be involved)

Now, Ti has at least 5 grades. I don't think any are suitable for a quality blade. But I have some grade 5 to try.
May 13, 2018 01:12AM
There is a Titanium bonding process that puts a coating on drill bits. It does make them cut better. But, years back when we were all fooling Ti big time, nobody had a blade.

Michael Walker contracted with a guy with a wire EDM machine. He'd cut a sort of rounded dovetail thru the Ti and Steel edge material. Think of a double row of light bulbs staggered small ends touching/alternating side by side. Then, he'd take the top Ti and the bottom Steel edge, and finesse them together like a zipper. Praying the steel didn't break. It was a test of nerves. Main point being, you don't do that if you can make a Ti blade.

Now, I've seen Ti daggers. But, you can make Copper daggers, plastic daggers. They all make a hole.

I'm glad you liked the first model. We could see a repeat of that.

Welcome home Doc,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 05:21AM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021