Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sally is a big Drip

Sally is a big Drip
September 16, 2020 02:34PM
We’ve gotten something around 16” of rain so far. We have a front terrace retaining wall collapsed. Ground saturation. Keeps coming down. Yuck.

Our Son is down in the costal area. Last night they were within a teaspoon of water coming in the house.

I know many have been damaged greatly. We’ve been blessed so far.

The cats slept on the porch railing. They have all sorts of protected areas. But our Black Cats brought us good luck last night.

Rain is driving harder again. Weakened pine tree roots in sandy soil is the danger here. Move Sally along and out to sea. It’s supposed to exit the Chesapeake Bay.

Report back later. Thanks for your notes.

Gary
September 16, 2020 09:23PM
Glad to hear that you are "relatively" safe. I heard on the news that up to 24 in rain might fall on some areas. 16 in to me (CA person) is unbelievable. Watch out for the trees!!. Take Care and best wishes and hopes for you and everyone.

Gary L
September 18, 2020 12:44PM
Hi Gary
Thanks very much. Not sure what the final total was here. News said some areas had 35”. We had 22” several years ago. That’s a nice shower.

Blessings.
Gary
September 17, 2020 01:12PM
Hope your water diversion projects hold up through this trying time and the pines stay up right !
Thoughts and prayers go out to you and Ms Kelly, and the millions of others touched by this storm.

Be careful and stay safe, Bob
September 18, 2020 01:06PM
Hi Bob,

Our water works handled it. They were carrying lots and lots of water. We had a wash out area in our gravel lane. Deep ruts. I’d fix it but the material is just “gone”. Like it dissolved. But, no fear, I set a trestle over the start of it. That should work for a few years. Ha

Also, my tractor has a conflict between it’s “Lawyer Switches”. So the starter circuit had become inconsistent. Pedals and seat and such had to find the perfect conditions for the key to work. Now it’s quit altogether. Bunch of “Black Box witchcraft”. It’s another thing on the list I just haven’t had two days to work on or $400 to get a tech to come get it.
So I’m especially glad I don’t have trees down all over.

Thanks Bob
Gary
September 17, 2020 03:38PM
Gary,

I was wondering how you were affected. Wish it were nothing but I suspected you were getting a huge water dump and I know you have sloped property. We got the outer bands for two days down here as it rounded Florida.

Lon
September 18, 2020 01:41PM
Hi Lon

We got along ok. Very grateful. I have some standing dead trees but need the tractor and snatch block with chain to deal with them. Tip for readers: Dead trees are killers. Never “Push” one. The top will break off and fall right back on you. You hook a chain/cable/web up about 10 feet off the ground. Run it out in the direction of desired fall and through a large snatch block. Then go out at least 90 degrees from desired fall and hook up the tractor. Take up slack and apply tension. Now cut your notch in the tree. Go check your tension from the tractor seat. If all checks out. Start your final cut. If this doesn’t make sense to you, stay away from dead trees.

Thanks for checking in Lon
Gary
September 17, 2020 04:18PM
Gary
So glad y’all missed the worst of the storm . I’m no stranger to water but sooo scared of them high winds . Be safe my friend !

Ps: Big Bore .... hopefully your well and stay out of the path of them storms!Help!

Thanks
Kurt
September 17, 2020 07:46PM
kurt wag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary
h winds . Be safe my friend !
>
> Ps: Big Bore .... hopefully your well and stay out
> of the path of them storms!Help!

It's always a nail-biter down here in Miami. CBS constructed house, good roof and hurricane shutters are mandatory.Help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021