Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: .... The Mop Flops ...

.... The Mop Flops ...
January 16, 2011 01:30AM
Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 002.JPG

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 004.JPG

I went to the range with Jerry today (Sat.) ... I'm going again, with Jim, on Wednesday. Fresh off the stock work for the Victory 32 .... shown here nested back into the plank it was cut from ... I thought I'd use some late night hours to get the Hawk in a roughed out stock too. Maybe get it in on the range time for some fun.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 008.JPG

And so I chose, carefully; and laid out a fine figured mahogany plank. Ripped the blank out, and bandsawed the profile. Over a few hours, I milled and inletted the action. It fit real nice.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 011.JPG

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 014.JPG

And, at 11 pm last night .... I went to do some profile work to thin the stock blank. New blade on the scroll bandsaw. All lined up. Turned it on, and didn't notice that the table tightener had slipped. This tossed the table at a tilt to the blade. And, I was just not sharp enough to catch it .... in time.

I realized something wasn't right. And, by then, the stock was ruined. Firewood. The blade had cut a bevel cut --- nearly into the tube channel. No - I was never in danger at all. But the stock ..... toast. It happens.

Fortunately, it's just wood. (Sorry Joebill) ... and so I shall remake it .... later.

Just thought it was good to show all parts of the reality. It doesn't all work out, just in time, in the last five minutes of the show. hahah.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 01:35AM by barnespneumatic.
January 16, 2011 04:08AM
That really bites Gary!angry with "no" sign I hate to hear of all the hard work and effort become unrecoverable.

I like the looks of the pistol stock setting on the blank cutout. Looks like a little inlet for the barrel and it would make a handsome pistol holder for the mantel. artist

Kent
January 16, 2011 01:03PM
Oh Noooooooooo!!!!

say it ain't so!

I've heard you can use mahogany for smoker chips....or firewood....if you must!

Bummer any way you slice it
January 16, 2011 04:13PM
Yep - that's the problem .... I "sliced" it the wrong way. brick wall
January 17, 2011 06:56AM
Gary, I feel your pain! All that workMore sad
January 17, 2011 12:40PM
Thanks Guys.

Ah well ... that's why I get the big bucks ...

Anyway .... I'm going thru the files to see what order might be closest to the gun. Perhaps I can fill an order with it, and need another stock anyway.

Gary
January 17, 2011 05:49PM
Boy oh boy do I feel your pain. Can't tell you how many times I've done the same sort of thing. It never seems to be at the beginning of a part either. It's always hours into it and the guide on the router table moves slightly or something ridiculous like that.

Sorry to hear this. It makes a great story, but it still sucks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021