Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Range Day - Victory, Yukon, Maverick, Ball Gun

Range Day - Victory, Yukon, Maverick, Ball Gun
January 16, 2011 02:20AM
Saturday, Jerry and I went to the range. It was NOT tropical. Snowman hahah.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 036.JPG

Looks just like Julio's range ... right? ;?)

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 028.JPG

Oh ... you saw that, did you? hahah.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 019.JPG

Having a pistol to test, my mind presented me with this idea. And, having a plasma cutter and welder just sitting there .... this happened. whistling
A nice Pentagon shape, made sure that there was always a bird in total profile. When struck, it rotated to a new position.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 025.JPG

The ball reservoir gun currently has a 25 barrel on it. It was very accurate with 25 buckshot. It's current configuration is sort of a Frankengun version of what's possible. It's simply morphed from one quick alteration to the next. Always putting miles on the power plant. There's plenty of eye appeal potential. But no time to do it now.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 029.JPG

I had the Victory 32 in it's stock.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 031.JPG

It made a fine pistol. Works very well.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 042.JPG

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 035.JPG

Shoots very accurately too - with simple Hornady single O buckshot ball.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 026.JPG

Jerry brought up his Yukon, and mounted a NightForce Scope on it - there on the shooting bench.

He mixed shooting and sighting in, as he played with the rig.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 050.JPG

This Hickory sapling got in the way at about 80 yards. It's about 1 1/4-1/2 in diameter. That 62 slug takes no prisoners ...

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 048.JPG

As you can see, we used all available light ... once again. The War Wagon was toasty warm with the propane sunflower heater atop a 20 pound tank. Even with the trailer ramp down. The generator kept the lights on, and the coffee brewed.

Jerry, Victory, Yukon, Ball Gun 049.JPG

Ah ... Jerry ... ya think we should start packing up? what was that

haha

Gary
January 16, 2011 03:17AM
Hi Gary and Jerry,

Great post! I'm glad to see you both out of your cabins, and doing some shooting.

It looks like you had a good time hitting those steel targets.

Nice 34 yards groups with the Victory.

Jerry looks like a sniper with the Yukon and his new scope.

Thanks for sharing.

Julio
January 16, 2011 04:12PM
Yeah ... but he was listening to Lady GaGa all day on those ear cups .... hahaha. laughing
January 16, 2011 01:05PM
OK, maybe SUB-tropical more innocent

cool target, great shooting!
January 16, 2011 04:52PM
Gary,

What a great post!

The pistol looks fantastic. The rotating target looks like a lot of fun and you really have that trailer set-up!

Gary, the guns are top shelf but you come up with some great targets too.

Lon
January 16, 2011 07:25PM
All the best snipers listen to Lady GaGa! singingshooter
January 16, 2011 09:21PM
That's it? All the pics you took???

Man ... I got coffee and everything ..... More coffee
January 17, 2011 06:53AM
Gary and Jerry, looks like it was a good range day, but COOOOOOLD! We just had 94.8F in the shade yesterday, so looking at your post made me shiverSnowman. Love those guns and targets.
Lady Gaga? You old blokes have such modern tastes in musicwhistling
Cheers
Neil
January 17, 2011 04:51PM
Some more pictures of the outing...
CIMG1641.JPG
Our "range" as we found it.
CIMG1642.JPG
..after improvements. Targets have been placed from 34 to 134 yards.
CIMG1644.JPG
Gary is determined to make me sight in the Yukon through the thickets...
CIMG1645.JPG
This target was at 80 yards from the bench. That seemed as good a spot as any to start sighting in. Well, the real problem was that we didn't bring all the stuff for shooting paper so we had to improvise! This tree just happened to be handy. The picture doesn't really capture the depth of the scars the big slugs made. Somehow I neglected to get a picture of the damage the slugs caused after they bounced off this tree. There was another tree that got hit by several ricochets and it was clear from the damage that the slugs were still carrying big power. It almost makes me want to make up some more ballistic gel!
CIMG1648.JPG
I asked Gary to show off the Yukon with the new scope mounted.

After shooting the Yukon a bunch, I pulled out the Maverick. It was fun shooting the new bird target and being able to shoot without the ear cups and recoil! The spinning birds are a good target and I think we'll have some sort of competition worked out for that pretty soon...
January 17, 2011 05:22PM
Hey - If I looked nervous there ... it was holding a scope worth more than the gun ... hahah.

I've thought about the bird target .... I think a game of "keep away" might be good. Assign shooter #1, the color bird that happens to be sitting at the extreme back of the wheel. It's "Safe" now. Then, let shooter #2 began. Now .... let #2 continue as long as he is hitting birds - but give him a total of 7 shots per game. His objective is to move #1's color bird into position, and then shoot it. If he misses, but has moved #1's bird into peril ..... then #1 can take a shot to move his bird back to a safe position. #2 shooter can continue then, up to his total of 7 shots.

At that point ... things are reversed ... and the other guy is assigned the safe color bird that's sitting at the rear of the wheel ... and another game continues. In this way, you both get to shoot. There's strategy involved. You get to protect your bird as well.

I'm sure there's many better ways to say it ... but ... you get a color bird ... and try to keep it safe from the other guy. That's just one game that occured to me.

Jerry's tree pic isn't sideways. haha. That was one of those "blow downs" that still has enough root to live awhile. It ran along the ground for 15 feet - and then arched up for a nice backer.

Gary
January 17, 2011 10:14PM
Great post Gary and Jerry! I enjoyed it. You guys are truly dedicated airgunner, shooting airguns in the cold winter like that he..he.. It's good to see the Yukon again, Gosh what a beautiful gun!
January 17, 2011 10:37PM
Funny addition. The ground was much more frozen than I thought it would be. I had brought an old digging bar for an axle for the birdie-go-round. I had a four pound hammer. It only took about twelve hundred hits to get the thing below the frost line. At which point, Jerry strolled in from off stage left .... and placed the axle cup over the shaft end ..... eye rolling smiley

Teamwork. That's what makes America great!!! USA!  USA!

hahaha

Gary
January 19, 2011 01:45AM
It really is a nice gun. I desperately need a better model to hold it though! laughing
January 22, 2011 12:59AM
Another FANTASTIC range session. Showing that sappling cut almost in half with your gun is pretty dog on cool. GB, man do you have some ingenuity. That spinning target is sooooo cool. I love the fact that you can just go in your garage and grab some steel and a plasma cutter and make spinner targets...........lol. One more post like this and i've moving next door to you and i'm gonna bug you EVERYDAY for the rest of your life...lol
January 22, 2011 01:24AM
PLEASE >>>> PLEASE come replace the existing guy that's there now!!! why me

wink

Gary
January 23, 2011 07:49AM
Looks like good fun. It's been raining sideways here all day. Been a nice addition to the foot of fresh snow, since it's been converted to slush with the approximate density of degenerate matter. Oodles of fun to shovel. eye rolling smiley On the bright side though, we can now go ice-skating in our cars just as soon as it freezes back up again since all the roads have been plowed smooth as glass. Quite the contrast from picking oranges off my sister-in-laws trees in Phoenix last week. grinning smiley
January 23, 2011 01:40PM
Hey - warmth, and orange trees, are over rated ... rudolph
January 30, 2014 11:01PM
Hey Gary, remember when we were young and 20,000 pounds of gear to go shoot was no big deal? You are so going to miss never having to wear a parka to change targets!
January 31, 2014 12:06AM
Hi Jerry,

I do Indeed! Great days. Maybe I should move back ... nowthatIthink

We blazed a trail that's wide open behind us. smileys with beer

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021