Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I love the smell of gunpowder!

I love the smell of gunpowder!
January 23, 2011 05:24AM
Sorry gang, it's this or amp talk. That's what I did today.

I took my build to the range today; quite a few changes to check out.

I lapped the bolt face, removed some material from the aftermarket extended release to allow my home auto bolt release mod to function properly, mounted a new scope and polished the bolt guide rod.

I only fired about 80 rounds as it was colder than I had expected today and I wasn't adequately dressed. I expected the sun to come out while I was at the range but it remained overcast and cold so I did only what I needed to do and left.

I picked up a Simmons Prohunter Side Focus on sale a couple years ago and dragged it out of the closet. It was pretty clear glass for the price, I had no trouble viewing the holes in the target at 50 yards even in the low light overcast conditions. It's a 4 X 12 X 40 with 1 piece mount. They've shifted their models around since I purchased it, I couldn't find the exact scope but it looks identical to the Aetec which sports a slightly larger Obj.

The home brew auto bolt release now works flawlessly, it was getting hung up on an old Eagle brand plastic extended magazine release, another holdover part from days gone waaaay by.

I'm not going to draw a conclusion on the bolt lapping just yet, I need to put a lot more rounds through it in one sitting and look at the powder residue witness marks on the internals. A cursory inspection seems to show no problems but there is admittedly some bias in my view. Function was better than my first time out, I've almost completely eliminated the stovepiping/jamming that occurred my first time out. Only 2 jams today and only with the Winchester. Seems the guide rod needed a polish and I did it quick, a better job will probably eliminate the jams completely.

The trigger needs more work. I reduced the pull somewhat but I estimate it's still in the 5-6 # pull range, WAY to heavy, I'll have another go at it.

I was shooting regular stuff, Federal 550 Value Pack 36 grain and Winchester Value Pack/Dynapoint 40 grain. They both seem to do fine.

These target measurements are edge to edge so subtract .220 if you're interested in CTC. I'll shrink them with a better trigger and some smaller aimpoints on the target the next time out.

Current state of build:
Build.JPG

25Yards:
25Yards.jpg

50Yards:
50Yards.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 05:26AM by Bigbore.
January 23, 2011 01:38PM
Hello Lon,

First of all ... you have my KomPleat sympathy about your savage weather in Miami! It was 9 F here last night. whistling

Looks like some nice targets there. Can't see how you'd hit a cow with a 6 pound trigger.

Man ,.. if we ever get you interested in airguns .... we're gonna see some stuff then! laughing

Nice scope! smileys with beer

Gary
January 23, 2011 04:53PM
I agree 100%! and I love some of my powder guns, BUT I've discovered that I hate cleaning them. And I mean Hate!

Just one more reason for the airuns. Don't have to clean them every time out. Gotta love it.

Great shooting. 22's sure can be cheap fun.
January 23, 2011 07:29PM
Clean'em?nowthatIthink

Be right back, may be able to tighten up those 50 yard groups sooner than I thought.

This is an ongoing project. It will probably get cleaned and put on the shelf now for a while and I'll do something air gun. I was pretty happy with the scope. Rimfires are a lot of fun but it's tough to find a place to shoot and the range in Miami is a MAJOR PITA.

Lon
January 24, 2011 12:30AM
Looks like fun Lon. Seems like your mods are working. Have you noticed a difference in the ammo? Which does it seem to like? What will you be doing with the gun, target, plink, hunt?

What? not a single one of your condos is in the country?self-hammer

Kent
January 24, 2011 02:50AM
Kent,

These two brands of ammo seem to shoot equally as well out of this barrel. I want to stick to cheap readily available stuff too, no high priced target ammo. The Winchester might have a very slight edge.

The gun is a plinker, I may do some small game hunting with it.

No condo in the country yet, but I still have a few years left.woodsman

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021