Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Fishy Business…

Fishy Business…
February 06, 2011 12:11AM
Hi Guys:

No shooting for me on this weekend, but...

Today I found a break, early in the morning, and went to a lake near my house and did some fishing. The bite was slow, but I was lucky enough to catch a couple of fish species that are not native to Puerto Rico.
This first picture shows a Cichlasoma Citrinellum, commercially known as Red Devil. This fish is native to Central America and grows up to 14”, it can reach a total weight of 3 ½ to 4 pounds.

The one in the picture was 11” and weighted 2 pounds.IMG00275.jpg

This next fish is named Cichlasoma Managuense, commercially known as Leopard Guapote. It is native to Lake Managua, Nicaragua. It can reach up to 18” and reach a total weight of 6 pounds.

The one in the picture was 13” and weighted 3 pounds.IMG00013.jpg

I caught them both using artificial lures and they were both released.

Julio
February 06, 2011 02:14AM
Oh ... don't tell me you had a canned tuna sandwich for lunch! hahaha. woodsman

Sounds like you had fun. Glad you got away.

Thanks for posting (here on the guitar/fishing channel) .... laughing.

Gary
February 06, 2011 08:18AM
Not too tacky Gary! If my mother-in-law were around she'd say, "come over here so I can smack you!"

Julio, out of curiosity. If they're not native, why let them go? Are they everywhere and 2 won't matter?

Regardless, They sure are pretty. I always feel like it's christmas when I hook something. Even if I'm trying for something specific, never know what's coming up.
February 06, 2011 11:14AM
Hi Griffin,

These fish are all over and in large quantities, two won't make a difference.

Julio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 04:22PM by Julio.
Anonymous User
February 06, 2011 05:09PM
Julio they are hunting Iguana in Florida and exotic snake's are destroying the everglade's fauna and are altering the ecosystem......
February 06, 2011 05:32PM
Hi Julio,

Hey - are either of those fish considered to be good eating? I don't know my species. You sound very knowledgable.

Do you still maintain your salt water fish tanks? I think I recall that being one of your hobbies.

They have amazing colors. Don't they. thumbs up

Gary
February 06, 2011 06:24PM
Gary,

They are both good eating fish, especially the leopard guapote.

They both do have beautiful colors and they look more impressive when they are breeding.

No, I don't have any aquariums left. Eight years ago, when I was full into the aquarium hobby any of these fish would cost me aprox $85.00. Now all I have to do is go to the lake and do some fishing.

These are only two out of maybe 10 non native species that are living in our lakes and or rivers. All of them are considered to be exotic in the aquarium hobby.

Julio
February 06, 2011 09:16PM
That's OK Julio ...

I firmly believe that your money, is much better spent ... with Barnes airguns ... shooter .... rather than fish fish

whistling

hahah

Gary
February 06, 2011 09:21PM
Around here, a few years ago ...

There was a huge flap about ... IIRC ... Snake Fish. The things were non-native. Might have been from Viet Nam ... and they ate everything. Also ... they could travel OVER LAND for a hundred yards or more. So - they'd get into ponds and such. I recall them draining complete ponds to try to get rid of them.

Aquarium stuff that had been released.

Gary
February 06, 2011 10:54PM
Hi Gary,

Those are Snakeheads. That fish specie present a real menace to all the fish farms that are in Florida. They have spread in some East and Central States and they will continue spreading. It's all a matter of time.

They are territorial and a very aggressive ambush predator. The giant ones might reach between 3 to 5 feet in length and weight 45 to 50 pounds. Attacks to humans had been reported.

Julio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 12:01AM by Julio.
February 07, 2011 03:40AM
Oh THANKS! Here it is going on midnight ... and you fill my head with stories of sea monsters that are gonna eat me! hahaha.

shooter fish shooter with bench rifle

Sounds very nasty. I wouldn't want to hunt a thing like that ... in a submarine!

Gary
February 06, 2011 06:17PM
Julio,

I used to do a lot of freshwater fishing in my mis-spent youth.

Not all introduced species are harmful, are those? Are they good to eat?

I think I may do a long post on fly tying.nowthatIthink

Lon
February 06, 2011 09:14PM
That would be great Lon .... winking smiley

I've always wondered how you tie them together ... without pulling their wings off .... whistling

Gary
February 06, 2011 10:42PM
Hi Lon:

All these non native species are competing among themselves. No they doesn't present any danger because there are no native species left.

They are good to eat, we also have the peacock bass which is great for eating.

Hey Lon we may open a Guitar/Fishing and Home Improvements forum...hehehe

The home improvements part is for Kent.

Julio
February 07, 2011 03:45AM
Hello Julio,

Right!

Don't forget fashion, too. Sort of a "What not to wear, at Home Depot, while listening to guitar music, and thinking about fishing!"

smileys with beer

Gary
February 07, 2011 02:27AM
Looks like you had lots of fun Julio. i'll bet you can combine Barnes guns and fishing. Lets see, should we get a barrel and catch some fish to go in it.... Wait, didn't someone try shooting a spear from a Justice? All we need is a line feed attachment for you to real them back in! I think the bow fishers do it with a little Zebco closed face reel stuck on the bow handle.
Hope to see you shooting again,

Kent
February 07, 2011 01:09PM
Kent, I like the way that you are thinking...
February 07, 2011 05:21PM
I saw a Mythbusters (before they went nuts crashing classic cars) ... about a harpoon gun. The line was simply wrapped over two dowels, in parallel with the barrel, that were on a frame and about a foot to 14" apart. The thing fed a coil out a long way, just fine.

Now ... to do it right, you need a harpoon that is slide on OVER the outside of the barrel. That's the correct way to do an arrow or harpoon shooter.

Gary
February 07, 2011 08:42PM
Hi Gary and Kent:

The pneumatic harpoon shooter is a great idea.idea The only thing is that I'm a catch and release practitioner, it’s going to be hard to release them after being shot with the harpoon.surrender

Hopefully I’ll go to the range this week and have something related to the air gun forum to post.shooter

Gary, today arrived the new chrono. I've got homework to do...

Julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 10:44PM by Julio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021