Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Tease

Tease
February 09, 2011 01:37AM
CIMG1666.JPG
CIMG1667.JPG

Just got started with the pellet testing. Stay tuned...
February 09, 2011 02:15AM
Excellent!

I haven't even been able to fire the 97's. No darned gun!!! brick wall

I'm thrilled to see that they fly! By golly Orville ... it DOES fly!!!! target plane

And, don't you know that you can't shoot pellet designs over 800 fps? hahah. We did talk about the little 38 grain fly weights. I suspect that they provide almost no breech back pressure ... so, they are GONE when the first breath of air hits them.

bullhorn Nice shooting Jerry. Thanks.

I'll have to send you another pellet. I see you used the one I sent you. hahaha.

More coffee

Gary
February 09, 2011 02:30AM
Side note .... I looked back to page 20 today Jerry. You'd posted a mind numbing array of details about slugs, BC numbers, and much good stuff.

I see that, particularily you and I, have now degenerated to using "One" word titles for posts. laughing I've gone so low as just using the day of the week. hahaha.

wow.

Gary
February 09, 2011 05:27AM
Nice!bad dude

Lon
February 09, 2011 02:00PM
Mighty fine shootin there Jerry...Allen.
February 09, 2011 02:54PM
Great job Jerry,
Velocity numbers and accuracy documented as well, I'm impressed!bowing

I'm warming up for this weekend. Hope the OR stays quiet for some relaxed shooting.

Nice to see what the pellets can handle so the pellets aren't wasted pushing them to hard. We'll get the MS Delta ready to go.

Thanks for sharing,

Kent
February 09, 2011 03:49PM
Hi Jerry.

Nice shooting and well documented targets!

Speaking of targets, Where did you found those Barne’s targets?whistling

Julio
February 09, 2011 05:58PM
Gary,

Using more than one word in the title just seems so verbose now!

I went back to page 20 and looked at the couple of ballistic testing posts. There was definitely some useful data there and it helped me get a better feel for the slugs and drop at range. I've yet to see any more sophisticated software that I can actually plug into easily though.

I could repeat that level of testing with the new pellets but it would require some good conditions (to get more than a couple chrony readings) and a good number more pellets as I only have the one chrony and need to get near and far numbers.

BTW, I don't think the targets above are the final word on accuracy for the pellets. I shot using the bi-pod and then realized later that I might be able to tighten things up (a little) shooting off a bag at the front in addition to the one at the rear. I need to get some daylight and decent conditions to test with the Woodsman and also try some of the big pellets as HPs. More fun to be had!
February 09, 2011 06:01PM
Julio,

Gary was doing some cleaning and just tossed those targets at me...
February 14, 2011 12:44AM
SWEET BABY...SWEET. Thats a group to be proud of. Especially for a new pellet. Heck, for any pellet.

You guys ROCK!!
February 14, 2011 02:31AM
pushingarock That's us! We rock alright! haha

Jerry sent me some more targets. If he doesn't post ... I'll load some. Looking good ...

ah heck .... I'll get a couple. have to drag from e-mail and size them ....
February 14, 2011 02:41AM
Here's a few. They were already sized - thanks Jerry.

OK ... we've shot better targets ... no doubt. But ... these are extremely fast ... and with very little air. This is just a taste of what might be possible. I honestly expected them to be worse, at such speeds.

Look at the little small one at 1,200 fps plus!

And, these are being shot from very different barrels. Different twist rates. Even different sizes! They are unsized. And, these were even an earlier casting before I discovered a way to make them cast more uniform and with less aggrivation.

Thanks Jerry.
Gary
CIMG1677.JPG
CIMG1674.JPG
CIMG1672.JPG
February 15, 2011 11:14PM
I guess I should comment on those targets!

The lightest pellets just screamed from the Woodsman, oh, they "cracked" too! It was kinda neat because I was wearing ear protection that blocks sharp, loud noises but amplifies normal sounds. I had the ear cups turned up because there was some gusting wind I was trying to shoot between and the sound helped me pick calmer moments for a given shot. Well, when I shot the little pellets the ear cups cut out for the shot but I could then hear the echo of the sonic crack reflecting back from wherever it was bouncing back from.

I didn't have enough of the pellets to do a complete test but I'd like to. Despite being shot well into the supersonic range, they are accurate enough that I could shoot them over a chrony at the target wall and see just how much they slowed down. Just for info, the 1217 average speed was measured about 8 feet from the muzzle. I think these pellets are a winner. At over a 1000fps, they shot a decent group and even at 1200+ they did OK.

The 52.8gr slugs did not tolerate being over-driven by the Woodsman as well as the light pellets. However, when I set the Prairie 3 to "low" power and shot then at a very nice clip of 909fps, they performed very well indeed. The group posted above shows 2 holes instead of the normal trophy group single hole but remember that this gun is not designed for pellets and I had to disturb my normal set-up for every shot, there was also that gusting wind to deal with... Oh, the black part of the target is only a one inch circle so I'd say those pellets could have a future.

The heavy pellets did pretty well also. I think I had a "flyer" or just a bad shot in the group posted but the other 4 shots went through 3 holes with about a 5/8" CTC measurement. Not shown was a couple of shots taken with the last two pellets that I had clipped the casting nubs off and those two shots were touching.
February 16, 2011 06:23AM
Hello Jerry,

I've been out of the loop for a while (winter plague) and haven't caught up on the back posts. Are these shot with the .32 insert in your Woodsman?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021