Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bowkett 50 cal. Pistol ... at the Range

Bowkett 50 cal. Pistol ... at the Range
March 26, 2011 01:21AM
Bowkett Pistol 002.JPG

I have a very good friend, named Tony. Funny, he's my size, age, was at the 64 World's Fair when I was, has always been interested in older classic cars, has collected custom airguns, and his health altered everything about his life. We joke about being twins, seperated at birth.

Tony has owned some really fine airguns, for a long time. They've come, and gone, and some remain. Well, he decided I should see a couple of them. Today, I got a box from the Post Office, around 4:30 pm.

Bowkett Pistol 004.JPG

Inside the box, inside the pistol case ... was a 50 caliber airgun, made by John Bowkett. Bowkett is an extremely talented craftsman, who lives in England. I'll learn more about the exact pistol here. But - I suspect it's at least 20 years old.

I've had a really lousy week for pain. Chronic lower back pain, shoulder, headaches, can't sleep ... just a mess. But, for whatever reason ... this afternoon, I had felt improved, and had worked well. When the pistol came, it was a bright spot that needed to be celebrated. I gathered a couple of things. Already had the War Wagon still hooked to the truck. I left for the range about 5:15. By 6:15, I'd had fun ... and was closing up to come home. It had started getting colder, and was getting thru. In that single hour, I had a really fine time ... with this extremely fine pistol.

Bowkett Pistol 011.JPG

It shoots a 50 caliber ball. Tony had provided a nice box full. I didn't have any specs. on the gun, so I did some careful educated guess work, and testing. I test fired a few lower psi rounds. Made a judgement, and then worked out it's plateau. This is what it liked.

It's extremely loud. Sounds fierce. Shoots very smooth. Operates well. Feels very nice in the hand.

Bowkett Pistol 005.JPG

I had the chronograph in the truck. That allowed me to know what was happening with the psi curve. As you see, the gun is extremely well regulated. Very close figures over a thousand psi drop.

Bowkett Pistol 006.JPG

I set up a couple of bags, and fired a couple of groups. The gun has nice sights, which Mr. Bowkett made with the gun. They were easy to use.

Bowkett Pistol 008.JPG

My first five ball group at 20 yards.

I determined that the rear sight should go a bit left, for me. I looked at it, and there was a ghost of a screw scuff mark to indicate that it had been to the left before. I moved it to that location.

Bowkett Pistol 010.JPG

And then I fired off another 5 ball group. 3 of which cut the same hole. thumbs up I'm sure the other two reflect more on the ball, than the gun.

What a sweet pistol. Very enjoyable to see someone else's work. I'll probably post some other pics. This was just quick - for fun. Can't imagine I got so much done in an hour!

Gary
March 26, 2011 03:02AM
Hello Gary,

I'm glad to know that you are feeling better.

It's nice to see you shooting other craftman work and acknowledging it's qualities. Good for you!

Hey, those are nice groups for a pistol and using open sights.

How was the recoil?

Julio
March 26, 2011 03:31AM
Hello Julio,

It did kick up off the bag some. It also had a recoil to it, when hand held. It was very fun to shoot.

The numbers work out to about 65-70 foot pounds.

I do enjoy seeing other work. I very rarely get a chance to be around any though. One of the reasons I like to see things other folks share here.

Thanks ... thumbs up

Gary
March 26, 2011 05:32AM
Gary,

Do you know what the bore size is - .495?

How was the trigger?

Lon
March 26, 2011 03:41PM
Hello Lon,

Don't know the exact size. Ball in a bag, in a box. I didn't check. IIRC, I've never read of Mr. Bowkett making barrels. I could be wrong, but I believe I've read the opposite.

Trigger was fine. Had what the trigger folk would call, travel. I had no trouble shooting it well.

I liked the gun very much.

One of my early pcs., was a 45 pistol, that shot right around 400 fps. I really liked that. Enjoyed shooting it. Made it for a customer. Was a simplier gun. I found though, that most interests ran more to the fire breathing brackets. I'd still be making some simplier guns, and more of them, if I thought people would enjoy them. This fine Bowkett was made in an era when big bore anything were scarce as gold laying hens. It's a really nice pc. It's a simple pc. so far as bolt retention, use of brass, and jointery. Built nicely for that power bracket. If you endevour to ramp it up 4 fold, everything changes, and you can't build to this model any longer. Which is sort of a loss, because it's highly desirable, and I take nothing away from it. But, as a builder ... you have to answer for why you aren't pushing the limits with each build. A lot of things get left behind. Does that make sense? Attempt is to praise this artifact, and explain why people aren't asking for this power/caliber bracket of pistol now.

I'll add a few pics later today. If you ever have a chance to add something like this, to your collection, do so. thumbs up

Gary
March 26, 2011 04:32PM
Gary,

Your Victory is where my tastes in big bore air pistols lie, Hoss for biggest bore.

That looks like a nice gun, but just a more refined DAQ pistol IMO. I scanned some Bowkett photos for Hawley years ago and still have the pictures, that example is typical Bowkett. We all know about Bowkett but his work doesn't veer far from the herd.

Like you stated, way ahead of its time but now we've got you.bad dude

Lon

More Bowkett:
Sep09_01.JPG
Sep09_03.JPG
Sep09_04.JPG
Sep09_06.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 04:56PM by Bigbore.
April 01, 2011 05:43PM
Bigbore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary,
>
> Your Victory is where my tastes in big bore air
> pistols lie, Hoss for biggest bore.
>
> That looks like a nice gun, but just a more
> refined DAQ pistol IMO. I scanned some Bowkett
> photos for Hawley years ago and still have the
> pictures, that example is typical Bowkett. We all
> know about Bowkett but his work doesn't veer far
> from the herd.
>
> Like you stated, way ahead of its time but now
> we've got you.bad dude
>
> Lon
>
> More Bowkett:

>
>
>
>

They are all Stalker Rifles products in your piccies. The top two are based on Daystates and the rest are Bowkett made one-off airgun actions that Adrian Hartley fitted into his finished stocks. Not really pukka Bowkett in my experiencewink
April 01, 2011 09:47PM
When I spoke to Bowkett he said that he had made several pistols and rifles in the 1980s using polygroove brass liners inside steel tube. The fifty calibre ones used a tight fitting .50" ball for best accuracy anything smaller gave fliers as you found out. He said that he couldn't get a .50" H&N ball and had someone cast them from a Lee mold. I remember shooting a little carbine in .50" that shot extremely accurately using a heavy slug dropped from a R.E.A.L. mold. That of course was of a much higher power. These were all made for fun shooting he said. He wasn't interested in all out power with them. 400 or so fps with 5 or 6 shots was good for plinking and target work on the 25 yard pistol butt. His more powerful creations were a different kettle of fish. Gary, when you get chance, he advised trying a full.50" ball in soft lead for best results. - Vic.
April 02, 2011 12:25AM
Hello Vic.

The idea of a brass liner has always seemed fine to me. I've seen many antique air canes which had rifled brass sub-caliber inserts that would thread inside their larger smooth bore barrels. With soft lead, brass is gonna be plenty durable. I made some early barrels in 25, from some aluminum bronze tubing I came across. That is, of course, pretty tuff stuff though. I didn't even know what it was at the time. Since then, I've used various alloys. Don't currently make a brass unit ... but would have nothing against it. Mostly, the smaller calibers are Chrome Moly ... which is way overkill ... it's just the correct size. Others are seamless hydraulic tubing.

As I hope I made clear, everything doesn't have to be a full power monster. As well, I often shoot my guns at less than their total possible output. It's just not always required.

I just took the pistol for a shoot, on a whim. My friend (the owner of the pistol) just sent it along to me, on a whim. There was never any intention other than to enjoy it.

I have another pc., from another builder, sent along by the same friend. Can't even recall the builder's name at present. I'll get to it.

Pipe smoker

Gary
April 02, 2011 06:42AM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Vic.
>
> The idea of a brass liner has always seemed fine
> to me. I've seen many antique air canes which had
> rifled brass sub-caliber inserts that would thread
> inside their larger smooth bore barrels. With
> soft lead, brass is gonna be plenty durable. I
> made some early barrels in 25, from some aluminum
> bronze tubing I came across. That is, of course,
> pretty tuff stuff though. I didn't even know what
> it was at the time. Since then, I've used various
> alloys. Don't currently make a brass unit ... but
> would have nothing against it. Mostly, the
> smaller calibers are Chrome Moly ... which is way
> overkill ... it's just the correct size. Others
> are seamless hydraulic tubing.
>
> As I hope I made clear, everything doesn't have to
> be a full power monster. As well, I often shoot
> my guns at less than their total possible output.
> It's just not always required.
>
> I just took the pistol for a shoot, on a whim. My
> friend (the owner of the pistol) just sent it
> along to me, on a whim. There was never any
> intention other than to enjoy it.
>
> I have another pc., from another builder, sent
> along by the same friend. Can't even recall the
> builder's name at present. I'll get to it.
>
> Pipe smoker
>
> Gary

I believe Bowkett liked to use polygroove brass liners because he was also a big fan and collector of antique butt and ball reservoir air rifles, pistols and of course the old aircanes, I only mentioned about the ball size being a full .50 because that is what JB asked me to pass on so that whover is shooting it now gets the best out of it and enjoys it to the full. As a former powder pistol shooter myself I know how frustrating fliers can be, Especially if you are sure that you are doing your bit. Hehehehe. - Vic
April 02, 2011 02:44PM
Wow! a bunch of quality info contained in this topic. Reading all this had been an educational experience for me.scholar
March 26, 2011 05:34PM
More Pics ...

Barrel is microgroove. Might be a liner inside a tube, to my eye - .495 ball Lon. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 05:37PM by barnespneumatic.
Bowkett Pistol 002.JPG
Bowkett Pistol 008.JPG
Bowkett Pistol 009.JPG
Bowkett Pistol 012.JPG
Bowkett Pistol 014.JPG
Bowkett Pistol 014.JPG
Bowkett Pistol 006.JPG
March 26, 2011 01:54PM
Wow . . . I don't think I have *ever* seen you shoot an airgun that was built by someone else. I remember one time Jerry brought his Monsoon to the range and you recoiled like it was the devil in rifle form. Blinking devil

Looks like fun . . . man, I need to get out and shoot! shooter

-- Jim
March 26, 2011 03:19PM
Jim,

Your memory is embellishing stuff. You're getting older Jim .....

I distinctly remember shooting that Monsoon. It went Pft, pft, pft, pft, pft, pft ... if I recall.

laughing again

Gary
March 26, 2011 05:35PM
Actually, IIRC, I said "Gary, would you like to shoot the Monsoon?" and the reply was, "Sure, set it out there at about 50 yards." laughing
March 26, 2011 05:42PM
March 26, 2011 06:00PM
Nice pistol Gary, and nice to see a review of it from you! One great tradesman complimenting another, something too rare in the airgun field....take a bow
Cheers
Neil
March 27, 2011 03:44AM
What a lovely and clasic pistol Garry,That string of shots is remarkably flat and with a total of over 400 fpe from what appears to be about 4 od cubic inch's of air. Thanks for sharing. Danny.
March 31, 2011 06:26AM
A simpler product from a simpler time, when velocities starting with a 4 didin't mean that something is wrong with the gun. grinning smiley

Is the hex-head machine screw the only bolt retention?
March 31, 2011 02:32PM
Hello Sean,

Yes. The head of the hex screw is the locking lug, and only bolt retention. Along the same vein, the entire top of the gun is mounted with one 10-32 machine screw. Therefore, when it fires, that screw (in tension) is the sole structural member. That's why I mentioned that this model, would not "scale up". Although, it's been done many, many times. Taking something that works on one scale, and just making it bigger ... isn't the way I engineer. (Not saying Bowkett does either ... I don't know how his bigger guns were made).

Goes back to my often repeated "hot rod guns" theme. You can't safely take a 200 fpe gun, and hotrod it to 500 or 600 fpe, without putting something or someone in jeapordy.

Gary
April 03, 2011 07:14AM
I see. One of the reasons why the "sumatra" type Phillipines/garage shop rifles have never appealed to me. While you might collect many airguns in a lifetime, you only get one face, and one set of eyeballs. one-eyed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021