Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Stock Work ... Joe's cutter

Stock Work ... Joe's cutter
May 27, 2011 02:37PM
Have you ever wondered why on earth I'd waste the time to MAKE all of these hundreds of specialized cutters that I use? I mean ..... it must take hours to cut, machine, and grind these things from tool steel ... not to mention heat treating them!! Can't you just BUY this stuff quickly and cheaper?

For this stock ... I needed an 1 3/4" ball end cutter. Here's a page from my tool catalog. Note that this is my 08 catalog. I have so many things indexed that I buy, that I often use my old catalogs to find things. With the millions of things they carry, it's often a chore to even find the stuff you are looking for.

cutter 012.JPG

Note that there is NO 1 3/4" ball end cutter even listed. They go from 1 1/4" to 2". However, I think you can get the idea. Old catalog where most things now are 30-40% more than they were several years ago. So: IF they did have a cutter (which it seems they don't) ... it would be between $350 and $600 for that one cutter.

I need hundreds of them to do what I do. So, I've made my own.

Here's this cutter in action, this morning, cutting the 1 3/4" channel for Joe's action to be inlet into the stock blank.

Thanks for watching,

take a bow

Gary
May 28, 2011 02:12AM
Gary,

Nice video! Next time you should advice to wear safety glasses before pressing the play button.LOL!

Looking good, that stock is showing nice grain.

Julio
May 28, 2011 05:26AM
Wow, sands the cut too!wink Nice cut.

Can it make coffee?More coffee

Lon
Anonymous User
May 28, 2011 07:51AM
Whew, I could barely stand to watch. I was fidgity as a cat on a hot tin roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2011 01:51PM
Hello Gary...Check this out for channeling....[mlcswoodworking.com]
Hope this helps, Allen.
May 29, 2011 11:40AM
Filming while cutting too . . . now that's confidence. cooler

-- Jim
May 29, 2011 02:29PM
hahaha.

I was also standing on one foot ... and finishing a nice engraving with the other hand! hahahah.

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021