Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bigger Power Joe

Bigger Power Joe
May 29, 2011 02:05AM
I picked up Kelly from the airport last evening late. This am, she had me working .... in the yard already! surrender hahah. Worked all day on flower beds and such! Lookin' fine ... cooler

Flowers,  Joe's Rifle Testing 002.JPG

Joe ... when I was finally able to crawl away, around 9 pm, I went to the shop to sneak in a test fire of the new slugs. I had the action just stuck in the rear stock section, as you have seen. But- that gives a good purchase so I didn't get bopped in the nose again. google eyes

I had to ream the chamber. The bullets drop at .494" ... perfect. I decided to just trust instinct, and I weighted up the hammer a bit, with one weight, and the pull back small weighted hammer ears with the rubber grips too. Nice so as to not fumble the hammer, and perhaps drop the hammer for a misfire. Oh ... BTW .. the trigger is two stage. Can either be set up as a nice two stage with a nice second stage release. OR, it can be set to take out the first stage, and just make a very quick/short second stage light trigger.

Now, I tanked up to 2,850 psi. Action wedged into the stock. Chamber reamed. I used the heavier of the two slugs. Decided to only do ONE test fire tonight. 9:40 Saturday night. Thru the muzzler .... but it still sounds like someone kicked over a huge folding table full of pots and pans. whistling

Well .... here ya go dude. No reason to think that this is the tip top yet ... but I think your 100 fpe gun is over spec. Sorry. take a bow

Flowers,  Joe's Rifle Testing 011.JPG

Flowers,  Joe's Rifle Testing 014.JPG

Flowers,  Joe's Rifle Testing 018.JPG

I know you will put meat in the pot with this, and make some family memories. BTW ... the shorter slug is about 268 grains. I'm sure that will be faster. But - if this one flies accurately ... my money is on this one take a bow

Gary
May 29, 2011 03:04AM
Hi Gary,

Congratulations for a work well done on that beautiful garden. Oops, is this the air gun forum?

Joe, congratulations for the numbers posted on your Chameleon on steroids. Wow, 454 fpe is some serious power. I’m anxious to see the targets shot with the new slugs. This rifle is looking really fine and with every new piece of information it gets more interesting.

Julio
May 29, 2011 03:19AM
Hi Julio,

Yes ... Martha Stewart would be proud. "It's a Good Thing!" Kelly's gardens are going to be on a home/garden tour in a few weeks. A bit early for the plants to mature (since most folks claim you should not plant around here until after Mother's day). AND, we had week after week after week of downpour rain fall. Many of the earlier planted flowers just rotted off their roots. So; some of this is a "re-planting". It's enjoyable. Something you can throw a few hours at, and see big results. We enjoy it into late Fall. I'm really happy to feel well enough to help her with more of it, this year.

Joe is going to have all sorts of options now! You bet. When squirrel hunting, he can just shoot limbs off the trees, and hope the squirrels can't take the fall. hehehe. He can throw more and more shot all the time. If these slugs fly straight, he can just clean the squirrel all in one shot. Just leave the skins drapped over the log! fudd

You know how it is though .... if we don't hear from him, pretty regular ... we'll all have to go down there to roust him out. We know where he lives, ya know. Since we had the Cuppa Joe shoot there. heheheh.

thumbs up

Gary
Anonymous User
May 29, 2011 04:09AM
Well there you go, I definitely can't show this post to Vickie, she'll have me digging up the yard all over the place. Looks nice though!!!

That is some serious power there, we are getting into the range of , if it crawls, flys, or walks it could be in serious trouble, hehehe. 768fps with a 347gr. slug, yowwwwwwwwwzzzzzzzzser that's smoking for sure.

Hey we can always have a Cup of Joe II, if enough are interested, of course it's a lot of work on Gary, I don't have have the resources that Kent has. Gary has to bring all the targets with him so we will have something to shoot, I'll leave that decision up to Gary, but I'm definitely open to the idea.
May 29, 2011 05:46AM
454.57 fpe. You rest your case.bowing

Flower garden ain't bad either.........

Phewww..

Neil
May 29, 2011 11:38AM
Man, that's serious power from a relatively small action. Nice work Gary. take a bow

-- Jim
May 29, 2011 02:37PM
Well ... that's a fine idea! Cup 2 ... the sequel! I like it.

Hey ... we don't even try to compete with Kent. He'd probably come up to the shoot again. If we asked nice ... he might bring his track hoe ... scoop you out a nice pond while he's there? nowthatIthink hehehehe

I don't know though ... if you don't have flower beds .... More coffee

thumbs up

Gary
Anonymous User
May 29, 2011 10:57PM
Well there you have it, Cup Of Joe II the sequel while still an idea is in the planning stage of development. Maybe I'll have enough practice time to get ready for the sharpshooters that Jerry brings along this time.

Hey Gary I got an old mattress with flowers on it, does that qualify?????????what was that
May 30, 2011 01:33AM
Flower .... bed. eye rolling smiley

I guess ... technically .... but that's pretty lame Joe ... More sad

Kelly had my nose to the grindstone again today. Don't you just LOVE Holiday weekends? By the time she let me go ... there wasn't enough left of me to crawl to the shop for another shot today. It's just sad, isn't it Joe? I mean .... test slugs just laying there ... and I'm fetching bags of mulch.

For those sadistic among us: We did quit and go to dinner. TRIED to relax a bit on the patio afterwards. All that does is give you time to survey all the things you can see that need to be done. At dark, I fussed about the small flood light that didn't come on. We had another. So, I stretched up and took down the bad one. I put the gasket around the new one, and installed same. It came on. In the ten seconds that I fluffed up the gasket to make sure it was tight ... I burnt the heck out of my left ring finger enough to jerk my arm back like a connecting rod. I slammed my elbow into a 4 by 4 post ... of course .... right on the crazy bone. HURT!!!!! brick wall hot smiley eye popping smiley excited electrified injured

So much for RELAXING .... it's overrated.

Gary
Anonymous User
May 30, 2011 03:21AM
Hey I've been married for 24 years now and definitely know a baited question when I read one. I think it is just awesome your catching up on your honeydo list. You have your priorities in line my friend, letting those slugs age one more day ain't going to hurt a thing.
Oh yea I guess the flowered mattress was kind of lame but I couldn't resist.

You ever wonder who started calling that little spot on your elbow a funny bone, the only people that laugh or the ones that see you hit it, thats for sure.
May 30, 2011 02:54PM
Gary,

Is that the Travelocity gnome that followed Kellt home from her trip?

Joe's Chameleon looks like it truly will be able to perform numerous changes.

Lon
May 30, 2011 06:36PM
HI Lon,

No, our Gnomes have Irish accents. Different Clan. They fight the Brit. gnomes at night, round town. Came across the tennis courts one night late, looked like West Side Story ... only shorter. whistling

Yeah - I'm glad Joe's gun is turning out some spunk ... since it's been about the work of three Bisons ... hahaha.

Gary
June 01, 2011 03:20AM
Nice garden and gun to boot. A lot more power then I would have predicted. That's going to be one fine airgun!
June 01, 2011 07:24PM
Joe ...

Quickly before the modem craps out ....

Note: I had put in a pic of my hand all yucked up with oily goo, from cleaning my shop air compressor. Joe said that it scared him before he read the text. With that in mind ... I could see that it looked like a bad burn or something. I apologize for not thinking that thru. dumb. I'm sorry. So; I remove the gloopy pic ... cause I don't want the same reaction again.

Hope you enjoy the pics of the gun. It's coming along well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 01:14AM by barnespneumatic.
a860.jpg
a_440.jpg
a_stockroughing.jpg
a_stockroughing2.jpg
June 01, 2011 07:27PM
Well - it took.

Joe ... you see the gun likes the 268 slug - at just 2,850 psi it's producing 440 fpe. The gun is doing more than even this version was designed for.

I'm roughing out the stocks.

You see the toe pc. added on, with it's black pin stripe of vulcanized fiber.

And .... when I got tired of the air line moisture that escapes the filters ... and I got blasted in the face changing sanders ... I drained the shop compressor tank of the oily moisture that collects there. Part of the glamor.

Gary
Anonymous User
June 01, 2011 10:47PM
Beautiful stock work Gary, I know it is going to feel sweet in the hand. The toe piece looks great, the whole package is much more than I was expecting, thanks
A 268gr. slug at 860fps off of a 2850psi fill is outstanding. I like filling to 3000psi or less, certainly helps with number of fill you get. I'm on pins and needles buddy, pins and needles.
Scared me for second on the last pic, should have read your comments before looking at the pictures!!stunned
June 02, 2011 01:32AM
Joe ... Dumb me. Should have looked at my silly pic in that light. It did look pretty horrifying - when I considered a cold viewing of my messy hand. I'm sorry. You know ... I was extra tired when I posted that stuff ... note to self. ;?)

Yeah ... the gun has grown. I appreciate the patience. You, and others, have stuck with me. I'm trying to fairly give you something for doing that. I have been trying, to do that with each gun delivered. Strictly speaking, it's adding even more time. True. But, in all honesty, I want to do it ... think it's good business ... and just hope I can give each person something to enjoy, and appreciate. As the story goes ... I started building the guns ... and built prototype after protype, to prove the concepts. The orders came in, based upon those prototypes. Think about it, and most of them were breaking new ground. Ground that people have now become familiar with. That's added another layer of complexity, for me. People bought a new benchmark, that excited them. Now, I'm trying to give them that feeling they were seeking, as well. That means more work for me, some more performance, and the benefit of all of my experience to date.

The newer meds have been a help, but they don't make the work go any quicker. In fact, I'm working too many hours. People tell me not to, but the work is there. It never leaves. So; I'm trying to get it pushed along. Now; today, I got a good lesson. I worked like a fool all morning and early afternoon. By about 3:30 ... I was beat. I should have quit for awhile. I got my med schedule all screwed up ... and missed a mark by over three hours. It really let me know it too. Just getting back to feeling human again. There's always that sort of reminder that makes it clear that I'm not healed, by any stretch. Just masking the injuries a bit better than before. So; I have to have the sense to pace myself. Hard, when I'm very aware that everybody is waiting. And I can only do one thing at a time. There's a bunch of work shootable now. But they still need bluing, and sanding, etc. Seems a long way between almost done, and done. ;?)

Anyway ... coffee is cold. Anyway ... I felt stupid about the horror pic. And, I guess the coffee made me chatty. hahah.

Best,
Gary
June 02, 2011 01:51AM
Joe,I thought the same thing.

I told myself, he can't be hurt. But I was trying figure out what that stuff was in relation to carving wood just couldn't figure it out. Then I read story, it made sense. What did you to clean up with, goop hand cleaner.

Have ever used American cherry for a stock? Dory
June 02, 2011 01:19PM
Yes Dory,

Made a few early stocks from cherry. Bone hard. Can be pretty. Does the same thing as mahogany ... darkens with age. I've made furniture with cherry, and most other woods.

Yeah ... clean with a gritty pump automotive stuff. Fifteen times a day. That stuff on my hands was the oily, foamy, condensation that forms in the air compressor tank. The oil blow by from the simple compressor rings makes up a nice mess. That stuff gets out into the shop lines. I have PVC lines all over the shop. They all have filters on them, but still .... in hot humid weather ... with the shop A/C cranking .... the lines fill with water. Plug into a drop line for a sander, and get a face full of slop. Usually when you are thinking five steps ahead ... and not looking for booby traps ... it gets you. scared

Gary
June 02, 2011 05:11PM
So do you get the kind that has moisturizer or lanolin in it. How do keep your hands from drying out and cracking..

Cherry has always been one of my favorite woods. I figured it wasn't used on guns much, from durability issues. Or maybe cause it starts out almost white and takes a few years to age. Dory
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021