Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Stockwork 2 - Joe - Breech action

Stockwork 2 - Joe - Breech action
June 15, 2011 05:51PM
A bunch of pics of Joe's stock, and breech in action. It easily shifts to either side - opening the port for loading. Simply easing it back into alignment closes the breech for this 500 fpe PCP.

You'll see pics of fitting the wood to the action. Pics of the "Pebbling" in process. That's not complete in the pics. I had an overhead shop air line blow out while I was carving. It was in another room. Though I was wearing headphones, and the tool was whirling loudly, the blow out sounded like a cannon. My cell phone rang immediately too ... as Kelly heard it in the house. So - I decided to show you the pics before the carving was complete.

Hope you enjoy! Green bowing
Joe's breech and stock 008.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 011.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 013.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 016.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 014.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 018.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 022.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 024.JPG
Joe's breech and stock 030.JPG
June 16, 2011 01:50AM
Gary,

This one is turning out very nice. Good job! and congratulations to Joe.

Julio
June 16, 2011 01:58AM
Thank you Julio,

I hope all's well with Joe. I hope the excitement didn't cause him to explode or something. ;?)

It is turning out very well. I wish they didn't take so long, but they do. It's just that much work, when you add in the details and design features.

Gary
June 16, 2011 03:28AM
Coming along nicely Gary! Thanks for showing a few of your best pieces yet. It's especially nice to see some of your custom tooling in use.

Julio, I hope you took the day off to go shooting, what with the (you pic) surrenderelectrified"festive"Blue Light Specialgoogle eyesBAMA fly-in and fly-out all in 5 hours, I'll bet the whole island was shut down by security. Perfect time to grab a gun and speed to the range in you camo jamies.

Take care,

Kent
June 16, 2011 09:25PM
Kent,

I was happily working in my office. Of course that I would have loved to execute exactly what you explained, but then, maybe, I might now be arrested by the secret service and deported to Guantanamo. inmate

Still it was the perfect excuse to run to the range and release some slugsā€¦shooter

Julio
Anonymous User
June 16, 2011 04:13AM
Wow, fellow goes out of town for a few days and has a gun almost complete when he gets home. Gary it's looking great, I am loving everything about it. The lines are sleek, symetrical, and beautiful..
Ya/ll better come loaded for bear at Cup of Joe II because I intend to keep the cup at home this time, heheheheshooter with bench rifle
Gary this one has turned into a beast and I'm loving it, man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 16, 2011 05:47AM
Oh, so when you say "handmade", you mean "handmade".nowthatIthink

Neat. What a fit!

Lon
June 16, 2011 06:01AM
Wonderful stuff right there! Some people think nothing can fit right unless it was done on a gazillion dollar CNC machine. Apparently, there are a few things still possible with well developed skills!
June 16, 2011 02:28PM
Thanks guys.

I'm glad you appreciate the work. I'm anxious to get it to Joe. Gotta get a bunch of stuff sanded up for a mega bluing shop exercise now. I'll do it as fast as it can work. There are a few guns with parts waiting. And, I'm sure I'll think of other stuff that also needs to go in there as I work. Won't be too exciting to watch .... lots of sandpaper ... lots of grit/dust/grime. Lots of hand cleaner (Dory ... it is Fast Orange ... just recalled that you asked ... it does have some stuff in it to keep my hands all model fresh and lovely ;?) heheh).

Anybody else been seeing funky stuff on the forum? Right now, most of the boxes are blank ... like where the smilies should be, etc. last time I used smilies ... they were all wierd - half missing - etc. Everything has been slow too. Let's see if I post or loose this. Better copy first.

Gary
June 18, 2011 01:48AM
OMG...just beautiful. All i can say.
June 18, 2011 02:29PM
Is that a hand made chisel with just the proper curve ?
Looks like teeth on the edges from a file ?

Joe
June 18, 2011 02:36PM
Hello Joe,

Good eye. It is a handmade chisle forged from an old file. thumbs up

I must admit though, it was made a good twenty five years ago. The curve just happened to be correct. USA!  USA!

Gary
Anonymous User
June 18, 2011 08:41PM
Just had to take one more look, must be around 40th, still looking GRRRRRRRRREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 08:42PM by Joe Hoover.
June 19, 2011 01:01AM
Glad you are enjoying it Joe,

Wish it took less time. I'm making a few more parts, and sanding a whole bunch ... to go into a bluing session. It's such a big pain, that I try to get a batch effect out of it. I always have to stop before I want. And always forget something.

Wish we were closer - I'd tell you to take it for a few weeks and shoot it like this. But with the postage, it's expensive.

Hey - did you read that Hugh says you two should get together and shoot. He's in Roanoke, Va. How far is that from you?

Gary
Anonymous User
June 19, 2011 03:44AM
I didn't see that Gary, thanks for the heads up. Roanoke is about 115 miles away, but it's a straight drive through some beautiful country. Definitely close enough to do some shooting when our schedules allow it.

I understand about the shipping cost, I completely understand. I know you need to do batches to make it worth while when firing up those tanks.
Anonymous User
June 19, 2011 06:24PM
I can see it now, A short nap and wake up and write it down,,,,,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021