Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Graphic Enamals - Dragon Skin Samples

Graphic Enamals - Dragon Skin Samples
June 24, 2011 12:50AM
Here are a batch of pressure tube / frames ... which have been finished in various Dragon Skin patterns. With the one shown in the other recent thread, they show five of the possible patterns I do.

I will post these, and then come back for a follow-up discussion.

Hope you enjoy.
Gary
Dragon Skin Graphics 005.JPG
Dragon Skin Graphics 006.JPG
Dragon Skin Graphics 043.JPG
Dragon Skin Graphics 040.JPG
June 24, 2011 01:09AM
Common Gary, that's not fare. excited

I do like them all, but I do prefer the ones with green and brown. The blue one its nice but not my first choice.

Could you apply that finish to an already blued surface?

Julio
June 24, 2011 02:11AM
Helly Julio,

Glad you like them. Guess we'll have to call the green and brown ones "Julio's Tweed". hahah.

Yes - it could be applied over bluing. Let's see ... looks like .... around 2035, I have an opening. On a Tuesday. whistling Shall I pencil you in?

LOL! smileys with beer

Gary
June 24, 2011 02:03AM
Get some More coffee

I've been preparing some guns for bluing. I decided to do this batch of house rifles, in Dragon Skin.

Whenever I'm making parts, hopefully I can develop a good flow; and I make some extra items to salt away. They never go bad. They keep the lights on.

You may have been one of the many people who have noticed that I've been getting an amazing amount of work done recently. A great deal of this has to do with finding a mix of meds that are helping me handle my chronic pain issues. I'm very grateful for that. It's made the pains more managable. It's turned some of them way down, for periods of time. It hasn't "fixed" a thing. It's all the penny in the fusebox anology. But - it's the best I have.

You might note that I've worked hard on several ledger guns recently. Recall our discussions over the past years. I'm self employed. My wife is self employed. My pain issues have really seriously screwed up our lives since about 2002. The expenses have been significant. We are self insured, of course. And, those insurance bills have gone thru the roof, along with every other expense.

I mention this, again, because it's highly relevant. My wife and I manage our incomes and bills very responsively. During those years I refer to, as expenses rose, and my health gave me problems ... nobody I know was asked for a dime, and every bill was paid. It's still that way. I'm sure you've noted that the country is going to Hell in a hand basket. People up and down Church street here in New Windsor, have lost their homes. I don't intend to be one of them.

My wife's business has been decimated. She's really good at what she does. No matter ... she's at the mercy of people seeking child care. Six years ago, she had a full house. Eight full time kids ... and thru careful planning, a couple of part timers so there was never more than eight children here at once, during the day. She had a waiting list. She got calls every week. Since then, she's stumbled thru five years of loose three kids, gain one ... loose two ... loose one more ... gain one back ... loose another ..... until she had just one part time child here. No waiting list. And it cost her money to watch the one child. Just as it costs me money to make the ledger orders that were paid for a couple dollars a day, many years back.

And so; I've made up the shortfall. I've made it up for my business. I've made it up for her business. I worked on the stuff when my head was splitting and my hips and legs were screaming. And then .... and then... The clouds parted, and we found a medical routine that helped me significantly. Following that, over a two week period ... my wife signed EIGHT new children to her Child Care roster!!! We were stunned.

I celebrated by tossing myself hard, at ledger guns. The ones that cost me time and money to make. Remember; those two dollars a day didn't go into a sock with a customer's name on it. Didn't go into a can to be drawn out for each hour I worked on the gun. It kept the lights on. Paid the Drs. Kept the machines running. Kept me working. So; with Kelly's business breathing again ... and me feeling much improved ... some old work got completed.

And next; as with all novels ... it started to unwind again. A particular child care mom gave her two week notice. She was moving in with her new boyfriend. Yeahhhh!!! Etc., etc. They'd decided she didn't need to work now! Within the same week, another child care mom just disappeared off the grid. Never answered texts, phone calls, just gone. Stuck Kelly with outstanding bills, two more kids gone. Two weeks later ... another parent is moving. Another child gone. In three weeks ... FIVE of the new eight kids were gone, and another left for the Summer - since school was out. We have a new infant starting new Monday. Well, good thing I didn't stop working on my second and third jobs. hahah.

I know, I know. It's all so ... so real. Bummer. I could just shovel a bunch of happy Bull around. Weave a bunch of cover stories. But, this is what it's like to build handmade airguns in 2011. Nobody knows what the guys that did it in the 1700's went thru. I guess we can keep that old pipe smoke Williamsburg image of their stately procession thru the days. Forging and hand filing each part, at a leisurely pace. Texting interns ... oh ... sorry, wrong channel. Laughing at the tavern in the evenings. Logs roaring on the fire at night. Actually, it's just me standing in the Pharmacy line today, with the other old farts. Too many items in my cart for the Pharmacy lady to take them when she gives me my two perscriptions. So; I'll have to stand in line at the front of the store too. ;?) It's needing supplies from the craft store. It was tripping over something on the shop floor this am ... only to find it was two of these tubes which had fallen thru the night. I'd hung them at midnight, from a drying rack. The tapes which were penetrated by the hanging wires ... had fatiqued and unwound ... dropping the tubes to the concrete floor. (Can't just drill a hole thru the pressure reservoir, ya know). Should have used duct tape instead of the masking and electrical. It's lathe sanding off damaged finishes. It's sanding out scratches. Refinishing to get back to where I'd been at 10 pm, before I'd decided to press on to midnight.

Well ... I know your coffee is gone or cold, and that's enough bring to date stuff anyway. Can't move forward though, without covering the issues that make up the current state of affairs. One more factor that plays into the novel here; I keep designing and refining. Do you recall when I tried to explain the "V-Twin Series" of guns to the readership? The basic notion of component parts which could be used to make up many different designs? Well, that was a really fine idea. It's gone thru several generations, in my mind. And, over the last few months, another generation was born.

This will be my introduction of the "X-Caliber Series". The frame tubes you see carrying the Dragon Skin Enamal graphics are all members of the series. The basic model is a lighter weight frame, made with a one inch tube, and having a full stock thumbhole/cheek pc. stock. The billet aluminum tower carries a mounted steel insert. The barrel is threaded into this. This makes a caliber change a owner operation that can be safely achieved. The series are slide breech design. A given gun would have the potential for a different caliber barrel (carrying it's own tower insert) to be inserted and secured by one master high tensile mounting bolt. Quick and secure. The beauty of the guns, for me, is that I am NOT accepting orders for them. Groannnnn!!!!! But - think about it. They are totally something I am making, in the background, without input ... for the sake of occasionally having a completed gun to sell. Anything else defeats the objective. I do not want to sound snooty or harsh. I'm just making each one to be complete, and very fine ... and when it's done, it's done. There would be no way to fairly list them, and I am not opening the ledger. I have no desire to hide them. No intention of sneaking around. I do honest business here. I've kept you fully filled in, throughout my whole time on the scene here. I'm very sure that there have been many times that you've been aggrivated. Perhaps thought I should do something else. The base line is this: I've been honest with you. I'm making the guns I owe people. I'm paying my bills. I don't intend to be one of the tragic cases, if I can help it.

You recall that I've described the difference with all the ledger models. All excellent pcs. Most completely different in build and techniques, one form the next. They are slow to build because of this. Tons of them are at 70-80%+, but 15%+ is still a lot of hours that I have to find. They are all over the benches, in the cabinets, in racks, on shelves, in tubs, and you'll keep seeing them. I'm sanding a bunch of those parts for a big bluing session asap. I wanted to introduce this series of guns too, so I could talk about them. Everybody likes to see new stuff. And, let's face it ... I can put up fantastic posts about the gun models you have seen for years ... and it doesn't generate much discussion. Right now, I'm out in the desert sanding, and sanding away on parts. Not too sexy. So; here's something new. I hope you can let it settle in before you get too mad about some other thing taking up a hour of my time while you are waiting. Just please consider ... what's the pioneer spirit? I don't have any wealth to draw from. I have the skills, I have the shop. I'm figuring a way to meet my obligations, to all parties, with my own hard work. No hand outs. No excuses.

Thanks for wading thru all the details, once again. Best I can do, is to explain everything honestly, and completely.

I want to say ... God Bless. Not to hide behind some conservative image so you don't throw rocks. But, because I think the country really needs a serious dose of a return to sanity. I hope you are able to find the means to meet your needs. I know it's tough for many. My best wishes are with you.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2011 02:40AM by barnespneumatic.
June 24, 2011 05:00AM
Gary,

Those look fantastic!

Lon
June 26, 2011 11:33PM
Gary,
The tubes look fantastic! wow
I hope everyone that harasses you remembers that we all have to deal with life. pushingarock
June 27, 2011 01:25AM
Thanks Scott,

I appreciate it. thumbs up

Thanks for everyone's nice comments. I know that you mostly come here to get a few moments away from your own issues. I don't want to wear you with mine. I do think that it's just best to keep you up to date, and honestly tell you what I'm doing. I try to be positive, where it's warrented. I have been doing better. And, that's realitive too. Would be easy to read that I'm all frisky and 35 again. Not quite. I take pills at 4:30 am, and still feel like crap in the morning for about an hour until the 8:30 am pills kick in. I worked a bit hard last week, pulled a muscle ... it's taken all week for it to even start to mend. But; overall ... I'm able to work longer. The issues are less numerous, and there are longer periods of time where I'm not thinking 50% about pain. That's progress, and I'm extremely grateful.

Hey - I want to thank Kent again too. He's one of the guys that's been keeping me perking along, for quite a few years now. He's always been there for me, and his knowledge and skills have been a huge help in me coping. I once limped thru BWI Airport to fly down to his clinic for epidural injections when things just could not hook up here. Funny story: I stayed a few days that trip. The injections took hold, and I straightened up and walked nearly normal. And old man, out in front of a Barnes and Nobel bookstore spoke to me and said ... "Wow, I wish I could stride along like that!" ... hahaha. A few days earlier I'd come to Mississippi on a crutch. It's been a hoot.

Anyway ... Thanks.

Sean, I worked on your SS Woodsman project all day. thumbs up

Gary
Anonymous User
June 24, 2011 02:48AM
Sorry to hear that Gary, hopefully her business will pick back up. I'm sure the present unemployment rate doesn't help either.
Love the Dragon skin finish, nice camo look but much more too. The new line sounds very nice, hopefully you can hang on to one long enough to test it out this fall.
June 24, 2011 03:01AM
Thanks Joe,

You know ... that always is a happy problem to have. After all these years in business, it does seem absurd to everyone ... that I don't have a rifle. I'd sure like to. But ... there's always a need when I have one complete. All the folks that have taken a spite to me thru the years for making rich toys ... always miss the point that I can't afford them. I've even tried to make an ugly unfinished gun before ... haah. But ... there comes a time when I have to finish it and send it on.

We'll see. I've made up a big ole batch of parts. Maybe the stars will work out so I can have one shooting at the right time. hahah.

Glad you like the look. I do too. It's pretty complex. About six colors in each. Has to be applied in specific orders, the layers have to be fused, and there can't be any "hot spots" where your eye stops and says ... Hey .. that's a rough spot. It's one of those things I don't know if I could explain to someone to do. I just sort of know what I want to do with it, and mix the colors.

Gary
June 24, 2011 03:55AM
Q and A:

1). Q: You showed five different Dragon skins on gun frames. Does this mean you have made five guns??? A: No, while machining, I machined five reservoir/frame members. I've accumulated valve bodies and intakes (which are standardized for many of the models). Any of these guns will come to life slowly, in among the other work.

2). Q: Will any be substituted for orders? A: The orders are very far along now. That would mean disgarding a 70%+ project and starting over. It's something that will be handled on a specific detail basis. The point is to occasionally generate income. Handing over a "guns for bills" project to settle an order defeats the purpose.

3). Q: If my gun is not already blued, can I get Dragon Skin. A: If it fits the project ... it's possible. The Dragon Skin has a thickness to it. Therefore; if might not fit some applications. I cannot, for instance; slide THRU a closely fitted tunnel. Some designs have the steel showing on BOTH sides of billet towers. On some guns though, this is a definite possibility; because it's independent of a big bluing session. While it's intensive on it's own, it'd not waiting for a truckload of other things to go along into the bluing shop with it.

4). Q: Will these be small or big bore? A: Everything is on the table. 25-62 now. The 87 needs a bigger frame.

5). Q: Will you eventually open a season of Ledger orders for them? A: I seriously doubt it. For 37 years, I've had people waiting on me to produce the things they saw and liked. It's ground away most of my nerves. I want to make some things that are just low intensity. When it's done, someone can see it ... like it, buy it, carry it home. This is the end game of my development program which started with the V-Twin series. I can make these parts, stock them, and they will have many uses. I can make them several at a time, and still have uses for them across the entire range of calibers from very small bore thru 62 caliber.

I will add as needed.

Nuts ... UPS put stuff on my porch this am. It's now midnight. Better go get it.

Gary
June 24, 2011 05:29AM
So is it easier doing the dragon skin or the twilight camo? Dory
Sept 5 09 006.jpg
June 24, 2011 02:33PM
Hello Dory,

It's a version of the same process. I've evolved the process a bit ... the results seem very favorable.

When I closed up the shop last night, I looked at the tubes again. I can't do justice to them with a photo. There are depths and shimmers that the photos don't seem to have. I think they look twice as detailed in person, as in the pics.

Another feature, that I like is that the finish can be repaired, if ever needed.

Gary
June 24, 2011 07:05PM
Gary, those tubes look amazing. They are interesting to look at and I bet very durable too.
June 24, 2011 09:19PM
Yeah,
I like that to. Got a real little ding.. Touched it up. Can't even tell where it is any more. With the complex paint scheme makes it easier. Don't get tired of looking at it. Dory
June 25, 2011 12:16AM
Hi Gary

I speak from the view point that Kelly must have. It is extremely hard to watch the one person you share your life with experience pain while awake and sleeping. Watching as they are guarded with each and move that they take. I am glad you are able to begin to live and do the things that you enjoy.

God Bless you and your family
June 25, 2011 01:49AM
Reggie, that's very kind of you. I appreciate your friendship.

I sincerely hope that your wife is improved, and she can enjoy life as well. It totally changes two people's lives, when one of them has chronic health issues. You are exactly right in your observation.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Sincerely,
Gary
June 25, 2011 05:00PM
DROOL...DROOL....DROOL...DROOL. GB, those are amazing looking. Very nice. Your skills continue to amaze me. I was just on your airgun website the other day enjoying all your videos and pics and thoughts of wisdom. Now i come here and see MORE of your ART.

Your the man and i simply love the fact that you are doing what no other big bore maker is doing. OR SMALL BORE MANUF....for that matter either...lol.
June 25, 2011 06:28PM
Well thank you FAZ,

Why shucks .... I appreciate it. wow

A shame there's all that fly over between here and there, we could go shoot some lead.

smileys with beer

GAry
June 25, 2011 06:18PM
Gary,
Those Dragon Skin Tubes are Amazing to look at. You keep those creative juice's flowing and don't worry about anyone wondering if it is taking time away from their project. I hope the new pain meds continue to work for you. I love seeing your new Concepts when you decide to show us some. Take care & don't let the nay sayers get to you.

All the Best to You & Kelly
Rick G. ( now permanently in MO )
June 25, 2011 06:58PM
Thank you Rick!

Good to hear from you. I was thinking of you just a couple of days ago. I was laying awake, staring at the ceiling, hahah. (For the reader, Rick has a nice Bison under build ... started long ago). Thank you for your words of encouragement. My mind is always just busting with new ideas, and cross pollinating the new idea with all of the ones that came before. I often wonder if the talent is a blessing or a trial to pass. I'd never want to turn off the ideas, so I try to meld as many as possible into the mix. Most of the others just get a note scratched on the bedside table or something.

I hope you are content in MO. Hope you are not near any of the flooding.

Gosh, I never know what will come. I figure they'll just carry me out buttstock first, from the shop. I think retirement is going to look quite a lot like the last 40 years. hahah.

Stay in touch,
Gary
June 26, 2011 02:06AM
Here's how some of the patterns were used on the Dragon 87 in 2008. It's neat that the various patterns and colors play well together.

Gary
Dragon_Range_ Dayoff 042.JPG
Dragon Skin 006.JPG
A-Dragon3.jpg
June 26, 2011 02:14AM
June 26, 2011 02:31AM
June 26, 2011 04:08AM
Niiiice, Gary! We see the finished product but don't realise the struggle going on behind the scenes. Glad you have the pain under control, and hoping Kelly's business will grow again.
All the best
Neil
June 26, 2011 01:52PM
Gary,

I believe it was 2009. it came out same time as twilight camo. Still looking good. Those two side by side at Kent's place were impressive. Dory
July 02, 2011 01:12PM
Ha! When I see this gun, I remember pulling its trigger and seeing the scope picture disappear . . . quite an experience. smileys with beer

-- Jim
July 02, 2011 01:41AM
>I often wonder if the
> talent is a blessing or a trial to pass.

Gary, trust me, it's a blessing, though i can understand how not being able to run out & build each iteration of an idea
can wear on you.

>I think retirement is going to look
> quite a lot like the last 40 years. hahah.

Well you might be correct there. But the up side is, you'll Never have to wonder, ' what can/should i do today ' or feel useless.

Rick G.
July 02, 2011 02:02AM
Thanks Rick. Good thoughts smileys with beer
June 26, 2011 11:29PM
Rick,
MO is a good place to be! skeetshooter with bench rifleshooterwoodsmanfudd
July 02, 2011 02:17AM
Scott,
So far i'd have to agree with you!
are you from MO?
July 10, 2011 12:35PM
Kansas City area now. I used to live in St. Louis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 12:37PM by Scott.
June 29, 2011 07:47AM
Hello Gary,

Glad to hear that things are going...OK. I guess with all the "hope and change" out there, "OK" is about the best that most people can expect these days. Let's hope for the sake of our nation that things get better, it's been a long, dry season for many families. We should be so lucky as have our congress run our countries finances in a manner as responsible as you and most small business owners, instead of telling us that we can always have what we want now, and have somebody else pay for it later. eye rolling smiley

After looking at the variety of photos for the new finish, I'd have to say that it reminds me more than anything of a rattlesnake roundup. Lots and lots of shiny scale patterns there, perhaps the new models can all be named after snakes, who knows? The exception is one of the lower photos in blue...are those maple leaf patterns in there?
June 29, 2011 02:26PM
Yeah - from the deadly "maple snake". Nasty little blue critter that likes syrup. heheh.

I've only touched all the possible combos that could be done on the theme. It can be as bold or as subtle as I want.

Good to hear from ya Sean. Your Woodsman has been back on the bench for a couple of days work. Refining the design. You'll be able to switch from 62 smooth to .308" in about a minute or less. eye popping smiley

Gary
June 29, 2011 08:05PM
I guess that explains why maple syrup is so pricey, they have to wrestle it away from all the snakes. It also explains all those holes you see in the trees out in the norhwoods...whoda thunk, maple snakes all this time.

Never saw a one, must be the camoflague.winking smiley
June 29, 2011 11:55PM
Rotorhead

Those are leaf patterns most of them look like black oak leaves. Part of the personal design service. We sorta had this discussion about base colors. Had no Idea what was coming. The dragon wasn't out yet. He was leery that I might not like it. artist to a non-artist type. Gary knew I was into trees. So that's how the leaf pattern came about. There's actually several different patterns on it with leaf and dragon type just 2 of them. Every time I pick it up with the different light. Different ones show up more than others.

Look in Gary's photos twilght camo to see more. Dory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 11:56PM by Dory.
June 30, 2011 12:27AM
From smoky New Mexico:

Absolutely gorgeous, Gary-- I'd be tempted to start another were we not both so damn creaky

Those of us who deal with chronic health issues ourselves have only sympathy...

Got a new baby hawk and a new old shotgun in barter, light so I can still carry easily-- I'll send pix if you wish.

Hang in there!
July 08, 2011 02:43PM
why not hold them up against a dragon and see which matches , others have said , they re all nice but for me its the green and brown that stands out from the rest.
July 08, 2011 03:55PM
Yeah ... that would be your more traditional Dragon. thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021