Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Work shop set up

Work shop set up
February 18, 2009 04:33PM
Last night in the shop I had two things happen that really aggreavted me.
First, had a bandsaw blade jump the tires (luckily the housing caught it). Nothing like a shot of adrenaline to clear the cobwebs and focus attention. After fixing that issue (and learned a whole lot of how a band saw should be setup), andgoind back to cutting, the bandsaw is too close to the drill press and thewood wouldnt swing around to finish the cut. Luckily Ive not bolted anything down yet, and just pulled it ou and finished cutting.....

I guess shop layout is an organic evolution.....
February 18, 2009 05:03PM
Ah ... Dan my boy! Can "I" tell you things about shop design and tight spaces!!!!

You have to be really good at the excavation and moving businesses in order to maintain a shop. Everything, and I mean everything, needs to be on carriages and wheels (carts). 3/4" plywood with casters can work well. A band saw especially needs this.

Before any project, you must excavate an area to work. This also means you set up the "stuff" you will need (which has all be shoved out of the way for the last project's set-up). Then, there's the shuffle up and back, round and over .... until things get to an accidental formation that will allow you to work ... for the moment.

Now ... some might wonder why one wouldn't work more efficiently it a larger space where the various sets of tools could remain in proper formation at all times. hahah...... hah ..... hahahahah .......hahahahahahahahahahahaha............HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH .... COUGH!!!!!!!!! gasp .... ahhhhh ... cough!!! ....hahhaha ...,. haha ... ha. I ... ahem .... I don't know.

You see, large open spaces seem to only be owned by people with no tools, or folks with tools for which they have no real plans. Every craftsman I've ever met, worked in a phone booth sized shop which he had clawed out of the bedrock with a teaspoon.

Shops ... gotta love 'em.

Gary
February 18, 2009 07:17PM
my space is 12 x 12..... tools, storage, materail and big dog take most of it up.....

I started to post that I know a sculpter here in Bozeman that had a new shop build (30 x 40 with 20 foot ceilings) that had the space. We had dinner with him and his fiance, and he told us of new work that he had to fuild in sections cuz it wouldnt fit. Its all relative I guess....smiling smiley
February 18, 2009 07:56PM
Gary would really be slowed down, if his was that big. He would spend half his time walking between machines. Dory
February 18, 2009 09:48PM
That's right. Gary has the luxury of a shop where he can rough cut, mill, machine, drill, sand and buff a part and never have to move beyond pivoting on one foot! What could be more efficient? smiling smiley
February 19, 2009 01:32AM
Yup, it seems that Gary has the "galley workshop". It's like the "galley kitchen" design, where everything is always in reach from anywhere you stand. Of course, you DO have to make some minor concessions like not being able to open the oven door at the same time that you're loading the dishwasher, and that only one person can really work there at a time.

Or was it the "galley workshop" where they chain you to the oars and starting beating the big drum faster and faster...I forget. grinning smiley
February 19, 2009 02:14AM
Galley Workshop ... I like the term. Very accurate. winking smiley

Gary
February 19, 2009 03:16AM
I can second that. I am amazed at the amount of stuff Gary has in that small shop. I think most galleys have more room then Gary has.

Keith
February 20, 2009 12:18AM
Actually, Gary's shop has plenty of room for several people to work. Provided they are all synchronized and willing to walk single file from station to station in unison. rolling happy smiley
February 20, 2009 01:30AM
It's alot like the synchronized swimming scenes in the old Hollywood musicals. Always loved those as a kid ... must have really made an impression. grinning smiley

Gary
February 24, 2009 03:13PM
Saturday afternoon, I had to clean up the shop. Usual stuff, work work work and then your tripping over all the stuff and all the wood chips.

In that process I move the band out alittle, and moved my work bench against the wall. Gee, all of a sudden, I could work again, stuff is at hand, and the saw can accept stuff it wouldnt before.

Ah, progress.....nerd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021