Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Accurate big bore shooting..Gary's part in my upfall..

Accurate big bore shooting..Gary's part in my upfall..
August 26, 2009 08:16AM
Upfall, you say, what's that? Well, it's the opposite to a downfall. Which is where I was heading way back in June last year with my big bore shooting. Back then I had only a SamYang 909 (twin tube) and was just starting to test out some new slugs, which happened to be Barnes Raptors supplied to me by Jerry. Anyway, I was getting pretty mediocre results with the .45 compared to what I was used to with my .22 Falcon, so I was cheeky enough to email Gary and ask for some tips on big bore shooting. Well, my cheek paid off and Gary responded to this unknown from across the other side of the world (well, actually, somewhere down-under) with a detailed description of the proper technique to use. Much of it was similar to what I was doing with the Falcon, but there were some important differences to apply. However, I had a mental block around the whole recoil thing, and after a half-hearted (and therefore unsuccessful) attempt at Gary's technique, I reverted to my previous "death grip", determined to conquer the bucking beast.knucklehead As I acquired a few more big bores over the next 6 months, I continued to fight the guns and continued to obtain mediocre results. Finally, as I improved on a number of aspects of shooting these guns (eg tethering, finding the right slug for the gun) I also revisited Gary's original advice, applied it religiously, and in a very short time it all came together, resulting in my first MOA and/or 1/2 MOA groups with 3 of my big bores.
Just wanted to say, credit where credit is due, thanks Gary for sharing your wisdomtake a bow
Cheers
Neil
Re: Accurate big bore shooting..Gary's part in my upfall..
August 26, 2009 08:37AM
Neil, all I can say is Gary knows best, he knows what he's talking about. I've been around airguns for 20 years, but when he's talking, I listen he..he..
August 26, 2009 01:31PM
Hello Neil,

You are most welcome. Glad it helped you. I've enjoyed seeing your posts.

Ironic that I could help you get your guns from other makers shooting well, and the results posted here on my forum ... and can't get any posts from my own guns.

Well done Neil. I'm glad you are enjoying your hobby. Thank you for posting. Thank you for your kind words.

Gary
August 27, 2009 08:16PM
Neil,

You are now the preeminent big bore group shooter on the net! Gary and I have not shot groups at long range in a long time and nobody else has for even longer. If anyone else is shooting groups worth a hoot with a big bore at long range... they are keeping it a secret. As you've found, shooting tight groups with a big bore is a bit more difficult than with a near recoiless gun in perfectly stil conditions. I think its great that you are working on the perfect group and actually posting results.
August 27, 2009 08:29PM
Jerry, you are too kind! But I am enjoying the challenge of these big bores. I hope to shoot the .308 at 150 yards this weekend, weather permitting, and with a bit of luck I will actually get to do some hunting in October...putting all this practice to some good use, I hopefudd

Regards

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021