Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 32 Magnum Progress

32 Magnum Progress
August 20, 2011 11:03PM
I wanted you to get a feel for what this fine rifle will be. It's not complete. But it's progressing well.

a_32Mag.jpg

The stock is in process. It's mostly shaped and sanded. No finish applied yet. It's walnut. Has some nice color and grain. I'm doing a deep relief carved coverage in several areas. You'll see different phases where the artwork was laid out and penned on.

32 Magnum - Stock - Carving 010.JPG

32 Magnum - Stock - Carving 008.JPG

32 Magnum - Stock - Carving 003.JPG

I've begun some of the first passes of carving.

a-32 Magnum - Stock - Carving 015.jpg

a-32 Magnum - Stock - Carving 019.jpg

The trigger guard is actually the card stock pattern I designed - taped in place to give you the look. The front barrel band is not finished. But - the eye will fill in the blanks for you.

Hope you enjoy a look.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 02:19AM by barnespneumatic.
August 20, 2011 11:11PM
Stock is cut for either Right OR Left handed shooter.

Green bowing
August 21, 2011 03:48AM
Wow Gary,

Awesome! This one is surely showing some classic looks. Thanks for showing it.thumbs up

Julio
August 21, 2011 09:36AM
very nice indeed , but ,, if you dont mind me saying , i think the front of the trig guard looks heavy in comparison to the rest , sort of needs a curve back in after the actual guard to slim the front end closer to the stock.
just my thoughts , but boys its another sleek looking gun.
August 21, 2011 12:59PM
Hi Tom,

As I mentioned - it's a paper cut out. Few things survive the first rendition. What you can't see in the pic, is that the lower forward end of the pc., is drawn with tight horizontal lines .... the match to the Deco lines on the upper receiver. Visually, that ties it together with the top, and suggests the recurved area you suggested.

I'll snap a pic later. Coffee now.

Best,
Gary
August 21, 2011 02:53PM
Gary:

That rifle is really coming together nicely. It will be a real looker when finished .

Best,

Karl
August 21, 2011 05:04PM
lol , how could i doubt you , love the schnabel front end , but you know that ,,,great work indeed.
August 21, 2011 08:12PM
32 Magnum - Stock - Carving 001.JPG

Here ya go Tom,

I did just darken the lines previously drawn in. Perhaps you can see now, the way it will give the general look you suggested, yet allow the 10-32 socket head stock mount screw to be completely inset, and provide the firm clamping power I design these trigger guards to do. Rather than just have them guard the trigger .... I let them draw the action into the stock, and provide a monster firm grip that makes the stock and receiver one unit.

Gary
August 21, 2011 08:14PM
Then, before you tell me the lines aren't straight on the pc. .... hahaha ..... they are straight with the lines on the receiver. Thus the "Horizon" of the pc. registers correctly.

artist

Gary
August 21, 2011 09:44PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Here ya go Tom,
>
> I did just darken the lines previously drawn in.
> Perhaps you can see now, the way it will give the
> general look you suggested, yet allow the 10-32
> socket head stock mount screw to be completely
> inset, and provide the firm clamping power I
> design these trigger guards to do. Rather than
> just have them guard the trigger .... I let them
> draw the action into the stock, and provide a
> monster firm grip that makes the stock and
> receiver one unit.
>
> Gary
nope ,,, its just not floating my boat ,,, it needs a curve ... but i do get the idea .
August 21, 2011 11:58PM
Ok I'll jump in...
  • Beautiful, strong look, but not overdone. Bravo!
  • I am with Tom on the trigger guard. I don't yet see how it'll tie in, but I'll wait it out.
  • Did notice the new look to the layout, especially on the foregrip. I think I like it, and look forward to seeing it in relief.
  • I want it.
Scott
August 22, 2011 12:15AM
Gentlemen ... you a killing me .... 9,000 hours of machine work .... and I had to post the STUPID paper trigger gaurd ..... knucklehead

However; now that it's become an issue ... I can guarantee you that 99.9% of the planet will come stand on your side. ;?)

It does not have the height of many of my gun's actions. Therefore; the trigger is not as long. The gaurd is not as tall. Even a whimpy little S curve would still leave a long splinter of a clamping surface. Let the bolt head exposed ... and weaken the whole thing.

When the thickness is reduced to mill in the lines, I guarantee you that you will see a curve there. However; well .... you would have seen it ... whistling ..... before.

Gary
August 21, 2011 08:27PM
OK ... we heard from Karl, Tom, and Julio. Honestly, just looking at the numbers .... with the 58 reads ... I just wonder what the other approx. 50 of you saw ... liked, didn't like, were tired of seeing, etc. You can barely buy feedback around here. Don't tell me you are all talked out from Facebook or something ... hahaha. laughing

I had thought of about three of four threads that would be immediate spin offs from these pics. I'm surprised. I know you suspect I just think I need more high fives ... but I'm running out of ways to generate new discussion.

Do you guys like the new elements of the carving layouts. This is very much different from the others I've done. Added in some Art Deco elements to the vines and leaves. Do you guys have any preference between the many different styles of deep relief stock carving I've shown you thru the years?

Gary
August 21, 2011 09:45PM
the schnabell has a curve , the trigger guard has a curve , the hand cut out has a curve ,,, the relief carving is curvy ,,, def needs a curve.
Anonymous User
August 22, 2011 01:18AM
Make it thicker, cut the curve and inlet the extra into the stocksmiling smiley
August 22, 2011 02:23AM
Oh no ... not YOU TOO Joe!!!

Is this a conspiracy .... you guys PM each other? hahaha.

You all do realize that I'd have made this gaurd ... and if I didn't like it ... I'd have made another ... or altered it ... right? And now ... with the entire world at the gates with torches whistling ..... it's become some sort of test of point of principle. Are we gonna design by committee now? arguing

Somehow I muddled thru the Alpine .... with not a traditional line on it ... built the Hoss with the reservoir beside the barrel .... but this paper trigger gaurd cut out is a bridge too far. Bang!

dig it

Well ... at least some are commenting. That's a good thing .... right? hahahah grinning smiley

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 02:27AM by barnespneumatic.
August 22, 2011 07:51AM
Hi Gary
Can't wait to see the real trigger guard in place in accordance with your design. I imagine that it will look the partGreen bowing
Cheers
Neil
August 22, 2011 01:38PM
Ah! Finally ...

The voice of the loyal minority ..... hahahahah.

Nothing like riding into battle ... banners held high ... with one guy behind you .... hahahahah. USA!  USA! I think I shall promote you to ... "General Neil". You shall be in charge of ..... the .... ah ...... entire .....ah ... let's have lunch. hhhahahahhhaa.

Gary
Anonymous User
August 22, 2011 08:09AM
Hey once again my reading comprehension has let me down,more innocent exactly what have you guys got me into here!!what was that
August 22, 2011 01:32PM
Oh ... don't try to get out of it Joe ...... hahahahah..

I see you with that box of eggs in your hand. And, I see that egg running down the side of my truck door. hahahahah.

Hey ... next time someone runs by ... and hands you a carton of eggs quickly .... laughing
Anonymous User
August 22, 2011 02:15PM
The trigger gaurd reside,s in his mind,s eye..ha
August 22, 2011 08:09PM
Hi Don,

It's also on the workbench now. bowing -- Far East Machined it this morning.

I'll post a pic of it, complete, on the gun later today.

thumbs up

Gary
August 22, 2011 10:06PM
OK, I'm with Neil.i think it will look just fine after you have finished it. i like the new style.

Rick G.

PS: the Expedition Case arrived today safely..Looks even Better in Person.!
August 23, 2011 02:41AM
Hi Rick!

Oh ... That's Great!!! So glad it arrived and that you like it. Excellent. grinning smiley

Gary
August 22, 2011 11:23PM
Hi Gary,

I don’t know if you have figured out a name for this rifle, other than .32 Magnum?

After reading all this thread I got the strange idea of suggesting to you a new name for this rifle. How about the .32 Trigger Guard Magnum.LOL!

Julio
August 22, 2011 11:28PM
Hey ... you have a gift for names ... my friend! hahaha.

Nice work. Of course, we will have to run it by the committee. hahahah. whistling

I'm just about to post the pics of the beast itself. "Trigger Guardzilla!!" chainsaw excited skull

hahahhahaa

Gary
August 23, 2011 02:21AM
Maybe we just cut it to .32 TGM? We can make the letters stand for anything we want later...
August 26, 2011 05:11AM
Personally, I think that the paper trigger guard goes PERFECTLY with the aluminum beer can tape-on sights that you've featured in the past. winking smiley
August 26, 2011 01:56PM
Sean ...

I'll have you know that that was NEW aluminum roof flashing ... cut and bent for the task. I also used brand new electrical tape. Clearly SOMEBODY doesn't do ALL his homework ......

rolling happy smiley
August 29, 2011 05:54AM
Oh, that's right. If it were made out of cans, it'd have to be Minute-Maid lemonade.winking smiley
August 30, 2011 05:36PM
if it was easy everyone would do it ,,, be glad its tricky
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021